Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering out of curiosity, with Zambezi's insane power draw, do any of you see the possibility of laptops down the line containing bulldozer architecture? Or would the power draw eat laptop batteries for breakfast?

·
Iconoclast
30,976 Posts
One binned for low leakage and not clocked especially high probably wouldn't be that bad for laptop use. Still, there are much higher performance per watt architectures out there, and I personally wouldn't want an AMD in my laptop unless it was a Llano.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by daydream99
View Post

Maybe they'll have low power versions?

This is what I was wondering, because they do plan on releasing a 95W version of the 8120 fairly soon. Perhaps the mobile version of these chips will be a little less hungry, but at a cost of performance which is likely on a laptop chip.

·
Registered
351 Posts
On top of it sucking enough for desktops as it is, its power consumption would kill a laptop's battery in no time and the heat would be ridiculous.

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Well considering the normal desktop version is using twice the power of better performing chips, it is save to assume that a low power version is going to use twice as much power as a better performing chip still.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kchris
View Post

On top of it sucking enough for desktops as it is, its power consumption would kill a laptop's battery in no time and the heat would be ridiculous.

Oh shut up, it's not that bad.. it's still decent.. Geek are to crazy these days.. watching benchmarks 24/7 and raging on AMD..

What you do when you are gaming? watching your FPS all day and night long?
or do you benchmark every minute of your life.. man oh man..

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
With AMD and its Fusion APU stance, I doubt an AMD FX processor for laptop would ever exist. Next year's notebook APUs will use the same cores as desktop CPUs and APUs.

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyxion
View Post

Oh shut up, it's not that bad.. it's still decent.. Geek are to crazy these days.. watching benchmarks 24/7 and raging on AMD..

What you do when you are gaming? watching your FPS all day and night long?
or do you benchmark every minute of your life.. man oh man..

No I don't sit looking at my FPS all day long. But when I play a game that is single threaded, I want a CPU that doesn't suck at single threaded applications. I am referring to world of tanks.

also, I don't look at my FPS much, but I do look at my power bill.
The FX chips use so much power it is ridiculous.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballistic Buddha
View Post

Just wondering out of curiosity, with Zambezi's insane power draw, do any of you see the possibility of laptops down the line containing bulldozer architecture? Or would the power draw eat laptop batteries for breakfast?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

With AMD and its Fusion APU stance, I doubt an AMD FX processor for laptop would ever exist. Next year's notebook APUs will use the same cores as desktop CPUs and APUs.

Aren't the trinity APUs going to be using the piledriver/enhanced bulldozer core? Unless piledriver has substantial IPC and or performance per watt improvemants over desktop FX, trinity might end up being an odd product.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Yes, Trinity will use Piledriver (enhanced BD) cores. In less amounts than the FX desktop CPU, but who needs that many cores in laptops just yet anyways?

·
Frequency is Megabytes
2,997 Posts
Also the TDP for Trinity is

45 Watts for 2.5~GHz -> 3.1~GHz
35 Watts for 2.3~GHz -> 2.9~GHz
17 Watts for 1.5~GHz -> 2.5~GHz

± .5GHz

I think these are for the 2-compute units/4-cores

·
H20 only!
348 Posts
The APUs are beast in laptops. I got to play with one the other day of my friends on his WoW client. I was simply amazed by its performance for integrated graphics. Sure beats the hell out of my i3 with Intels integrated graphics... which was to be expected as its basically a 6550 gpu. There is a great future for AMD in this line no doubt!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts