Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do an OS RAID 1 setup with 2 WD RE3 750GB, with the Areca 1200 and it's 500 MHz processor on a PCIe x1 bus I wonder..............

Is taking it away from a quad core and onboard IHC7 or Gigabyte controller going backwards? I admit the card is a budget hardware RAID card.

·
Registered
374 Posts
From what I have been told in the past. Just let the mobo take care of it. I have RAID0 using my mobo and it works just fine. I do plan to eventually do RAID0 for games and a RAID1 array for my OS and music + other random important files...I plan to just let the mobo take care of it, its perfectly capable...

"KB"

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering if anyone was out there.

I have ordered another mobo that has the ICH10R Chipset. This and a Quad Core is supposed to do well for my needs.

I am running my OS on two WD RE3 750GB on a P35 ICH9R for now and it's not bad.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yea, it sounds like you got it covered then. So long as the mobo supports the RAID that you want, your set. I personally think the cards are overkill and just another wasteful buy. I've also been told on here the same..

"KB"

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts
RAID0 and RAID1 will run fine on a onboard RAID card. Anything higher (RAID5/10)...you'll want a dedicated controller.

I recommend the Dell PERC 5/i if you're in the market for one.

~Gooda~

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Havegooda View Post
RAID0 and RAID1 will run fine on a onboard RAID card. Anything higher (RAID5/10)...you'll want a dedicated controller.

I recommend the Dell PERC 5/i if you're in the market for one.

~Gooda~
Thanks. I'm RAID 1.

·
Just living in a van...
1,439 Posts
Keep in mind of course that if the board would choke you'll need to find another board with the same controller if you want to recover your stuff. Not an issue right now really, but a couple years down the road it might be harder to find one that is compatible.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by technodanvan
View Post

Keep in mind of course that if the board would choke you'll need to find another board with the same controller if you want to recover your stuff. Not an issue right now really, but a couple years down the road it might be harder to find one that is compatible.

Yes I understand thanks.

This is why I have an external eSATA RAID 1 backup getting updated nightly.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I have you guys on the horn..........

I have an OS RAID 1 setup on a GA EP35 DS3R mobo. I have a new mobo comming. Another gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P.

My question is can I just plug the drives in booting to the BIOS configuring it for RAID and it be detected ?

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts
The board doesn't matter...the RAID chipset does. I don't know what it's got...that's what you need to compare.

~Gooda~

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2therock
View Post

While I have you guys on the horn..........

I have an OS RAID 1 setup on a GA EP35 DS3R mobo. I have a new mobo comming. Another gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P.

My question is can I just plug the drives in booting to the BIOS configuring it for RAID and it be detected ?

Yup, both are Intel Matrix RAID.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's on a ICH9R Chipset now going to a ICH10R Chipset.

What do you think? If not what route would you take to move an OS RAID 1 setup?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2therock
View Post

It's on a ICH9R Chipset now going to a ICH10R Chipset.

What do you think? If not what route would you take to move an OS RAID 1 setup?

Thanks

Yes, the array can move just fine to the ICH10R.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts