Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three 8800GTS 320Mb cards in my rig, non-SLI, as folding GPUs. One is a PNY (also driving my monitor with this one), and the other two are Zotac's.

I have been OCing them to try to get more PPD for folding. One of the Zotacs hit the upper limit on the shader clock with no problems, the PNY did pretty well, and the other Zotac was only able to obtain a mediocre overclock.

I don't have the actual numbers, as I am writing this from work. I will update when I get home.

My question is, should I attempt a vmod? I would like to get the sluggish Zotac up to the same level as the other, and probably the PNY as well.

·
Premium Member
10,848 Posts
Yup I would. BTW if you are running 3 8800gts's on one board I think if you replace one with the 8800gt you will lose ppd. I'm not positive though but that is what I heard.

Check with CLP20 on the voltmod to use, He's up on that and is going to help me VMod chungerhungs GS's when I'm able. GL and Foldford Life!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hueristic
View Post

Yup I would. BTW if you are running 3 8800gts's on one board I think if you replace one with the 8800gt you will lose ppd. I'm not positive though but that is what I heard.

I've heard conflicting stories on that. Some people say what you said, but someone else says that's what he's running and it raised his PPD. The only thing to do is give it a try.

If the 8800GT gives me more PPD, I will have to decide which GTS to give up. I would prefer to keep the two Zotacs (then I would have 3 Zotac cards in my system), but one of them is the low performer.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
You should flash the GTS with a GS BIOS..and run it with the other GS's..this way you will have "3x GS" [at least you will fake the folding client into 'thinking' that] and it should remedy your PPD issues, with using an oddball GPU type...as this DOES lower PPD for the weaker GPU's in the system.

As for vmods'..of course they will help. Out of the box, a GS will produce ~3700-4500 PPD..OC'd you can see up to ~5500 PPD if using a BIOS upgrade from a GS/SC..or Whodie's mod'd BIOS he has posted here on the forum. With a GPUv mod, you can put a GS over 800mhz core and 2000mhz shader..bumping you over 6K PPD per GPU.

*PM for pricing on vmods, with GPU type and manufacturer. Or see my guide in sig, for directions to do your GPU.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts