Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my current setup, im running 4 Velociraptor HDDs in Raid 0 for speed. From what i understand, is even with this configuration its still no match for 1 good SSD. I was considering buying this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163 and putting 2 raptor drives in my wifes computer and using the 1 SSD as my main disk for the OS and then using my remaining 2 raptor drives as plain storage. Would this be a bad idea?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Yes, the 830 is an excellent SSD.
How many GBs on the WD VRs? If big enough, use one to clone the SSD for backup with something like Acronis True Image.

Rules for HDDs and SSDs:
1. Backup
2. Backup
3. Backup dammit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 raptors are 150gb each and the other 2 are 300gb each. I never keep important stuff on my gaming rig, so if a hdd failure happens... no big deal:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
I would love to have this setup. I do not see any reason as to why this would not be good for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobAttack View Post

I would love to have this setup. I do not see any reason as to why this would not be good for you.
Ive never dealt with SSD before, so im unaware first hand how much of a performance increase i would notice if i decided to go this route
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

Ive never dealt with SSD before, so im unaware first hand how much of a performance increase i would notice if i decided to go this route
The largest performance increase is in the access times. The files are all available to the SSD so quickly, so it really cuts down on many loading times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzac View Post

If you've got the money for the SSD i dont know why you havent bought it already
tongue.gif
Meh, wasnt fully aware of the benefits i guess ( I know, shocking right? ) I did notice ingame load times were much quicker the first time i ran two hdds in Raid0
 

·
r/madlads
Joined
·
8,728 Posts
Raptors are like vampire drag cars of the HDD world
biggrin.gif
with the consumption of a prius, of course in the HDD world
But SSDs will always be faster though.
 

·
Aint da way it used to be
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Show us a benchmark for the raptors? Cause maybe switching wouldn't be a huge upgrade. But ultimately SSD is the future. So might as well just jump in. Unless your content to wait even longer for the prices to fall even more.
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,144 Posts
I would not buy that drive especially at that price.

Get one on sale. Most are similar in performance.
 

·
Aint da way it used to be
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

This is the jist of it. Didnt want to wait all day, so hope this is enough

Yes sir, get an SSD. Keep raptors for bu. Check out crucial M4, samsung 840 PRO series, kingstons hyper x, plextor M5. You'll never go back to HDD.
 

·
Aint da way it used to be
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

This is the jist of it. Didnt want to wait all day, so hope this is enough

Yes sir, get an SSD. Keep raptors for bu. Check out crucial M4, samsung 840 PRO series, kingstons hyper x, plextor M5. You'll never go back to HDD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Raptors as backups don't make sense to me. I use an SSD for my Windows install, programs, and documents. I also use my Raptor drive for my game library/videos/mp3.....since you're used to having them in raid, use your two 300GB Raptors in Raid 0 for the game/media drive and keep a 1TB internal (if you have one) for internal backups. The two remaining 150GB Raptors would be used to clone the boot drive onto in case your SSD fails early.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoat View Post

Raptors as backups don't make sense to me. I use an SSD for my Windows install, programs, and documents. I also use my Raptor drive for my game library/videos/mp3.....since you're used to having them in raid, use your two 300GB Raptors in Raid 0 for the game/media drive and keep a 1TB internal (if you have one) for internal backups. The two remaining 150GB Raptors would be used to clone the boot drive onto in case your SSD fails early.
He already said he doesn't need backups
tongue.gif
. Not sure why everyone is so into backups here, the average PC user doesn't need to back anything up besides photos. I can't think of anything I'd loose data wise if my main PC exploded.

I'd recommend keeping any game that seems to have a loading time issue on the SSD... or all your games if you're good at uninstalling the ones you don't play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

Ive never dealt with SSD before, so im unaware first hand how much of a performance increase i would notice if i decided to go this route
HDDs deliver data in milliseconds, SSDs in microseconds.



 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top