Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be building a new system sometime soon. I currently have a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SATA solid state drive and a 3TB Toshiba P300 mechanical hard drive. My original plan was to replace the 840 EVO with a 1TB WD_BLACK SN850 M.2 SSD (I'll have an 11th Gen CPU to take advantage of PCI-E 4.0), and a 2TB WD BLUE SATA SSD to replace the 3TB Toshiba P300. However, I have plenty of space with the drives I have. I just wanted to get a huge speed boost for my drives with this upgrade, but it would cost me $400.

Would I regret not upgrading to these drives? If I could easily compare them side-by-side, would I even notice a difference? If so, then would the difference be worth $400 if I'm just simply being greedy for the best Wow Factor with this upgrade? It's my first upgrade in 10 years, so of course I want it to be as best as it can.

·
What should be here ?
5,997 Posts
If you're going to be using it for storage like pictures, videos etc that get seldom viewed, then the regular HDD would work. If you're going to put files which are going to be viewed, worked on or edited frequently like a plex server or a few MB big Excel with different data models or your animation projects, having an SSD makes things fast.

Depending on what you're storing and how much you access those files, $400 would be a worthy upgrade.

• Rep+
Reactions: TwoCables

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're going to be using it for storage like pictures, videos etc that get seldom viewed, then the regular HDD would work. If you're going to put files which are going to be viewed, worked on or edited frequently like a plex server or a few MB big Excel with different data models or your animation projects, having an SSD makes things fast.

Depending on what you're storing and how much you access those files, $400 would be a worthy upgrade.
Hmm, yeah, I was looking at spending $400 just to maybe get a faster OS experience for general everyday use and casual gaming. lol I guess my greed for speed was blinding me!

·
Senior OCN Member
40,823 Posts
If its for data such as videos pictures music and other stuff the only reason to pick an SSD is to get less noise otherwise its rather pointless
A good old HDD is still good enough for media and storage as long as you dont buy a cheap HDD

• Rep+
Reactions: MSC7

·
Rig Advisor
3,430 Posts
If you really want that "Fast" OS and gaming experience, grab a few MX500 drives and run them in RAID 0, they can be had on amazon for 61$ right now. You can still add your mechanical drives.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If its for data such as videos pictures music and other stuff the only reason to pick an SSD is to get less noise otherwise its rather pointless
A good old HDD is still good enough for media and storage as long as you dont buy a cheap HDD
Ok right, but what about OS startup and just overall general system speed and startup times for games, etc?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,823 Posts
Ok right, but what about OS startup and just overall general system speed and startup times for games, etc?
You gain two seconds at most and often zero seconds in game loading times so the only reason to get an NVME drive is for the OS and work
Games seen little to no gain with an NVME drive

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You gain two seconds at most and often zero seconds in game loading times so the only reason to get an NVME drive is for OS the and work games seen little to no gain with an NVME drive
Oh wow then I would've thrown away $400.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,316 Posts
TRIM your windows..that should give you a "Fast" windows experience..I just did a few days ago using MSMG Toolkit..upon boot my setup would only use 800mb RAM and system latency is much lower than the bloated one (tested using latencymon)

·
Senior OCN Member
40,823 Posts
Oh wow then I would've thrown away $400.

What you could do is buy a smaller NVME SSD for the OS and programs a larger AHCI SSD either M.2 or 2,5 inch for games and a HDD for data and storage
At this point in time games dont see any major benefit with NVME

• Rep+

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

What you could do is buy a smaller NVME SSD for the OS and programs a larger AHCI SSD either M.2 or 2,5 inch for games and a HDD for data and storage
At this point in time games dont see any major benefit with NVME
I already have a mechanical hard drive.

Anyway, I am just trying to see if I could get noticeably - or much - faster performance than what I have now. Like say I upgrade and then get the drives a month or two later. Would I notice a big difference from what I have now? See, that's the question.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,823 Posts

Anyway, I am just trying to see if I could get noticeably - or much - faster performance than what I have now. Like say I upgrade and then get the drives a month or two later. Would I notice a big difference from what I have now? See, that's the question.
For the OS alone you wont see any major difference however for editing and heavy work loads you will see a difference
Only reason to get an NVME drive over an AHCI SATA drive is the price they are almost the same

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the OS alone you wont see any major difference however for editing and heavy work loads you will see a difference
Only reason to get an NVME drive over an AHCI SATA drive is the price they are almost the same
Well damn I'm keeping my $400 for something else then! Besides, what I'm going to be upgrading to should blow me away.

I'm extremely glad I asked - and I'm glad I had the idea to take the drives out of the upgrade plan. $400 saved. lol Wow.

·
Rig Advisor
3,430 Posts

Question is: Where are the games you are playing stored? If on the SSD, you probably will not notice a difference. Like Shilka stated, the difference between SSD and NVME is about 2 seconds load time in gaming. Not quite worth it. As I said before, if you were to run 2 SSD's in RAID 0, you would probably notice a difference. I play Hell let loose and I am ALWAYS the first one to load in on maps.

• Rep+

·
Senior OCN Member
40,823 Posts
Well damn I'm keeping my $400 for something else then! Besides, what I'm going to be upgrading to should blow me away.

I'm extremely glad I asked - and I'm glad I had the idea to take the drives out of the upgrade plan. $400 saved. lol Wow.
Just saw that the drive you are looking at is a PCI-E gen 4 drive and those are almost completely pointless they give you higher numbers in synthetic benchmarks and not much else not outside of editing and other heavy workloads at least

If you want a NVME drive you are better off with a Corsair Force MP510 or a PNY XLR8 CS3030 they are way cheaper and not slower for games and OS
There are other options using the Phison E12 controller as well

$400 for a 1 TB drive is a massive ripoff a CS3030 is $135,49 on Newegg

The MP510 960 GB is $129,99

Almost 4 times cheaper

A Samsung 860 Evo AHCI SATA SSD is $109,99 compared

The Samung 970 Evo 1 TB is $169,99 and thats way overpriced

Both WD and Samsung are overhyped and overpriced

• Rep+

·
Registered
283 Posts
You gain two seconds at most and often zero seconds in game loading times so the only reason to get an NVME drive is for the OS and work
Games seen little to no gain with an NVME drive
Shilka is right. I picked up a m.2 drive just to run the os and a few system programs on, but ultimately use an ssd to run games. No difference in load times either way. So if you want that fast OS boot, then use the NVME drive for OS/system programs and the ssd for everything else. The HDD will work great for extra storage of things you don't need daily.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wait wait wait wait. I was wrong about things. Hang on.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
test

This platform has officially made me dislike it by this recent update. lol

·
Senior OCN Member
40,823 Posts
Alright so its $200 and not $400 but that still make that WD $60-70 overpriced compared to the MP510 or CS3030 for ZERO gain
Take those $60-70 and spend it something else

1 - 20 of 221 Posts