Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 6+2 PCI-E connector from a Corsair HX650W.

Would I be able to just cut the wires right where I drew the lines or would it cause some kind of problem? I'm about to sleeve this and its kinda hard to sleeve it with those 2 extra wires that I don't need since I'm only using x2 6 pin PCI-E for my GTX470.

Basically I don't need cables 7 and 8 can I just cut them off without having any problems?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
i have no idea but if i had to guess i would say its okay as long as you seal them properly, you could get nasty shock if you touch them after cutting em with pc on.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
If you don't let them touch components you should be ok, make sure you cut as short as possible. Both of the +2 wires are grounds so if they touch it's ok.

·
Chainsaw noise far off
6,010 Posts
I have done it before on a fan 3 pin adapter with no adverse affects.I cut off where it splits to a molex power connector,basically looked the same as what you have.So it's a yes just be sure to trim it back like it wasn't even there.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Won't cause any problems as long as you insulate them properly, but I would highly advise against it. It would suck to cut the wire and then upgrade your GPU only to find out you needed those extra two pins. I would heatshrink the ends and tuck them out of the way somewhere out of sight.

• Rep+
Reactions: b0klau

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless anyone has a way to sleeve the whole thing including the extra 2 pins I'll leave it. Thanks guys +rep

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0klau
View Post

Unless anyone has a way to sleeve the whole thing including the extra 2 pins I'll leave it. Thanks guys +rep

There is, I did it. Let me get you a pic.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonSlice
View Post

There is, I did it. Let me get you a pic.

Please

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Ok, here you go.

This is from an AX750, 12 pins on the side that plugs into the power supply, but a pair of 6+2 (16 total) on the other side. It is same as yours, where two wires are spliced into one connector. I basically sleeved each wire individually as I would if they were alone. So two sleeved wires coming out of one connector, each with it's own heatshrink etc. The final connector is wrapped in a huge piece of heatshrink but I can cut it open to show you if you want (got plenty more since I only need to sleeve one more wire like that).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts