Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know AX aint final yet, but a lot of the technology is known at this point

Just wonder if antennas should be the same, so if I buy a laptop today which might have Intel AC 8260, then in a year or two I buy a Intel AX 9360 (Or whatever it will be named) would I be able to hotswap it and get the benefits (Of course I wont get more bands than I have antennas)

·
Da Boss
1,894 Posts

Just wonder if antennas should be the same, so if I buy a laptop today which might have Intel AC 8260, then in a year or two I buy a Intel AX 9360 (Or whatever it will be named) would I be able to hotswap it and get the benefits (Of course I wont get more bands than I have antennas)
Retro fit isn't needed. Wireless standards aren't a limit of the laptop, but a limit of the NIC. I'm 99.9% certain that you can buy an AX NIC and swap it into your laptop with no issues as long as there is drivers for your OS and I'm 99.99% certain that if it's Windows 7 and up, there will be drivers.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts

If the laptop's wifi card is removable and not whitelisted. Then yes... I replaced my old work laptop's (Dell) Wireless N card with a Wireless AC... Worked great. Lenovo I believe whitelists their stuff, so only lenovo branded cards would boot. And only of that generation.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
If the laptop's wifi card is removable and not whitelisted. Then yes... I replaced my old work laptop's (Dell) Wireless N card with a Wireless AC... Worked great. Lenovo I believe whitelists their stuff, so only lenovo branded cards would boot. And only of that generation.

This is correct. Even though you can get to the wifi card on Lenovo laptops and rteplace it, the laptop will not boot unless you have their specific whitelisted card. Most other big brands do not do this to my knowledge, such as HP and Dell.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,023 Posts
Does wireless AX even require a new nic? I thought it was router based?

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Does wireless AX even require a new nic? I thought it was router based?
If it were router only upgrades, why would Qualcomm be coming out with phones that have 802.11ax wifi chips in them later this year?
The client chips need to support the new transmission method, 1024-QAM encoding type, what to do with the wake timers for battery improvements, and how to transmit and receive the new FFT sizes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts