Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy him one of the following boards this weekend when I go to the Brooklyn , NY Microcenter. MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM, ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero, GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming, ASRock X370 Taichi, ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming. He will be gaming, probably a little overclocking. I know certain boards have strengths and weaknesses. I would like to get the most rounded board. Not worried about the price differences. He already has a Ryzen 7 1800X. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would probably go with the Crosshair. I have one in my system. It has its issues (slightly wonky fan control etc,) but most of those are getting resolved now. There's a fix for the cold boot issues (multiple resets required to apply DRAM boot voltage) coming with agesa 1.0.0.7.

The board is really solid for overclocking. I have currently got a 1700x running at 4GHz with 3466MHz, CL14 memory.

Theres a few complaints about not very frequent BIOS updates for the board on the ROG forums, but these are usually countered by the fact that Asus gets it right first time, and other manufacturer's initial releases are buggy. Recently gigabyte released a BIOS update that fried CPUs on startup. I have no first hand information about any of this though.

As for the other options, I have no idea about them. I have only owned the crosshair.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownmiscrean View Post

I would probably go with the Crosshair. I have one in my system. It has its issues (slightly wonky fan control etc,) but most of those are getting resolved now. There's a fix for the cold boot issues (multiple resets required to apply DRAM boot voltage) coming with agesa 1.0.0.7.

The board is really solid for overclocking. I have currently got a 1700x running at 4GHz with 3466MHz, CL14 memory.

Theres a few complaints about not very frequent BIOS updates for the board on the ROG forums, but these are usually countered by the fact that Asus gets it right first time, and other manufacturer's initial releases are buggy. Recently gigabyte released a BIOS update that fried CPUs on startup. I have no first hand information about any of this though.

As for the other options, I have no idea about them. I have only owned the crosshair.
I own the Crosshair and am very satisfied with it though I have nothing to compare it against. The ROG bios is always first rate. While Gigabyte bios support is terrible. I know that firsthand also.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

I own the Crosshair and am very satisfied with it though I have nothing to compare it against. The ROG bios is always first rate. While Gigabyte bios support is terrible. I know that firsthand also.
One issue I have found with it, I'm not sure if this is universal or not, but when I use the water temp sensor headers as sources for fan sped in AI suite, the fans start doing their own merry thing. Running about 200RPM faster than usual, and with the fan speed oscillating up and down. This occurs with all fan headers that are using the water temp headers as sources.

The fans are not faulty, I have tested them with my oscilloscope wave gen as a PWM source. Nor are the thermistors. Whats strange is this behavior does not occur when using the same thermistor on the T_sensor header.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts