Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My contract with Verizon is running up at the end of this month and I'm planning to get a new phone. At first I was just going to get another Note 4 or Sony Xperia Z3 but have started looking at a Oneplus One or Nexus 6. As such I'd be able to switch to a non-contract based provider. This is completely new to me, having been a Verizon customer for almost 10 years now.

I've done some research into it and found that PagePlus provides service on Verizon's 4g LTE network, and that many of the others use Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T's networks. My main question is how does this service compare to the actual provider?

So if I get my service through PagePlus which uses Verizon's 4g LTE how would that compare to a regular Verizon service network speed wise? Also, if I go with the Oneplus which of the Sprint "sub-contractors" (Not sure of a better way to phrase their role) would provide a better service in everyone's opinion?

I'll appreciate any other comments to help as well, this is very new to me.

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Been with straight talk for almost 2 years, using the BYOP program. No complaints, I'm using the AT&T sim and got great coverage.

Just to be clear all the no contact providers run off the same networks as the big boys. Virgin Mobile uses Sprint towers, Straight talk uses AT&T/Verizon/Tmobile depending on what plan you get with them, Page Plus uses Verizons towers and there is more.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had AT&T "Unlimited" iPhone and joined Netflix then watched a few episodes (well... maybe seasons) of "lost" and they sent me a text message saying that if I would be throttled if I continued to download data at that rate.

I converted to MetroPCS and Android never looked back. Much faster speeds, Download bit torrents, do whatever and they have never complained as long as they get their 60 bux. My friend was on roaming in Hawaii for 4 months before they said anything.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have been with T-mo for almost a decade meow. Every where I have lived the service is great. Even in the podunk town I currently reside. SOme will be totally against it, but it really depends on where you are. I have no issues.
They offer pre-paid and also, post-paid no contract plans. On either of them, they do not charge your for going over the XXgb full speed service if you hit that point. They also offer a true unlimited plan and most interweb music services they do not use your allotted data either. I have their true unlimited and average 15+GB per month, not including when I decided to DL full 1080p content.
With that said, not sure how much data you use or where you are located. Maybe consider just picking up an unlocked phone and trying out Straight Talk, Tmo or something similar to see what service works best for you.

• Rep+
Reactions: teamrushpntball
1 - 5 of 5 Posts