Overclock.net banner

Would Q8200 Bottleneck 5850?

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  PanicProne 
#1 ·
What the title says. How much would that cpu affect the gpu. Also which is the best 5850 maker. The HIS one has caught my eye and it just dropped $20 today, does that look like the best one to buy?

HIS 5850 iCooler V Cooling Tech: $289.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-330-_-Product

#6 ·
No, any newer processor above 3 gz has next to no affect on fps. The last review I saw showed that an i7 at 2.6 ghz and 4 ghz had nearly identical fps with all of today's cards. For most other newer processors, anything above 3 ghz made next to no difference.

#7 ·
well i don't know how much i can overclock, lots of reviews say this cpu sucks at overclocking. I changed thermal paste yesterday and its idling around 47c. Don't feel like buying after market cooler. Would it just keep fps below a certain point. Right now i have
"22in screen with 60 refresh rate. I will have this for a bit till i can get a "24in 60 or 120 screen. I don't really that much fps to display.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExplosiveBacon
View Post

well i don't know how much i can overclock, lots of reviews say this cpu sucks at overclocking.

3 ghz would be a walk in the park even if you had the single worst chip ever to come out of the fab

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
View Post

No, any newer processor above 3 gz has next to no affect on fps. The last review I saw showed that an i7 at 2.6 ghz and 4 ghz had nearly identical fps with all of today's cards. For most other newer processors, anything above 3 ghz made next to no difference.

EXACTLY! an i7 not a damn Q8200.

if he even thinks about games like GTAIV and BC2 his CPU will cry. its a slow cheap chip that will absolutely not get anywhere near enougb performance to use his 5850 properly.

just ask some people who have gone from 775 to 1366 about it....

i know that from a Q6600 to an i5 750 gave my brother at least 30FPS more in BC2, Just from that alone. He also has a 5850.

you people must not play games that use your CPU more than 1%...

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

EXACTLY! an i7 not a damn Q8200.

The review also showed AMDs and Intels cheaper procs. FPS didn't increase after 3 ghz by any margin worth noting. Again, this is for single gpu setups. As far as the 2 games you mentioned, I don't remember if those were included or not. I don't play either of those and they don't sound all that fun, IMO. All I've heard is complaints regarding poor coding and benchmark talk, but nothing in regards to actual fun gameplay.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
View Post

The review also showed AMDs and Intels cheaper procs. FPS didn't increase after 3 ghz by any margin worth noting. Again, this is for single gpu setups. As far as the 2 games you mentioned, I don't remember if those were included or not. I don't play either of those and they don't sound all that fun, IMO. All I've heard is complaints regarding poor coding and benchmark talk, but nothing in regards to actual fun gameplay.

last time I checked BC2 was a really successful game. and so was GTA...but thats another story.

my point is, that the older architectures just dont cut it if you want to get the most out of todays insanely fast graphics cards.

I guarantee that your E8400 is bottlenecking in a lot of the games you play, unless they are old titles.

A CPU like that would be just fine for a 260 or 4870, but it just is not enough to properly

unleash a 5850/5870, not even if its at 5Ghz.

OP: if you play GTA, bad company 2, or are going to play any new game, the Q8200 will not keep up with the 5850.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

last time I checked BC2 was a really successful game. and so was GTA...but thats another story.

my point is, that the older architectures just dont cut it if you want to get the most out of todays insanely fast graphics cards.

I guarantee that your E8400 is bottlenecking in a lot of the games you play, unless they are old titles.

A CPU like that would be just fine for a 260 or 4870, but it just is not enough to properly

unleash a 5850/5870, not even if its at 5Ghz.

OP: if you play GTA, bad company 2, or are going to play any new game, the Q8200 will not keep up with the 5850.

I'm sorry, while a Q8200 might not be a high end CPU, any decent C2Ds and C2Qs will not severely bottleneck those video cards.

While the TC has a Q8200, if he overclocks it high enough it should be good enough.

Remember Q9650 and Q9550 are both faster or about the same performance wise compared to the AMD's PII X4 955 and 965, but does that mean AMD severely bottlnecks those said video cards? While it might not get the performance of i7s it won't be crap performance.

PII X4 955 vs Q9650/Q9550
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2754/8

People seem to forget how fast C2Qs and C2Ds are. For gaming and everything else C2Qs are just as good if not better than AMD's newest quads. Only disadvantage would be the socket 775 is dead.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eternal7trance View Post
I would recommend getting some cooling for that cpu and overclock it a little. You can definitely squeeze a lot out of it. Then you could buy one of my 5850s and with the money you save, buy a good cooler for OCing.

i think im going to get a 5770, it seems low end enough for my cpu and would be a nice upgrade from my 4670. Then just wait till next year for the 6xxx series or something and blow all my money on a new system. Ehh sounds nice in my head. TY FOR THE HELPZ PEOPLE

#17 ·
Core 2 Quad are still faster clock-per-clock than Phenom II.

Does Phenom II bottleneck GPUs? Of course not.

People like to bash Core 2 Duo and Quad because they are on a dead socket. Having a dead socket does not mean having "dead" performance.

If you get 100FPS with Core 2 Quad and 130FPS with i7, that is not a bottleneck. It is just a faster CPU showing exactly that: faster.

A bottleneck only happens when a component severely hampers another's performance. Extreme Example: A Pentium 4 with a GTX 470.

"Bottleneck" gets thrown around so much, it's ridiculous.

#18 ·
Look a Q8200 has more than enough power to push a 5850 on stock without many problems.

The Q8000 series are really "Bad Performers" because they require such high FSB to achieve a high overclock 3+ because they have low multipliers.
Regardless of what people say Q8000 series of chips are BUDGET CHIPS They are not High performing chips. FFS When the Q8300 Came out for 200-250$ a piece in 2008.
Does anyone remember how much Q9550's were selling for When they first came out?
And I know you all remember how much Q6XXX series were when they first hit the shops.
For the 140-160$ this chip sells for its a quality chip that performs extremely well overclocked.
If you look at this review It has the Q8200 stock Q8300 Stock Q8300 @ 3.4 and your other Equivalent/top performing processors.

Its actually really easy to overclock that chip with a quality P or X chipset.
Look at my setup I have a Q8300 @ 3.525 with maybe a weeks worth of fooling around with it i got it 24/7 stable, now thats nothing to scoff at but im working on getting it 3.75 stable Do I need 3.75 nah but sure its a nice to see a 10-15% increase in fps in BC2/FC2/WOW/DOW2

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicProne View Post
Core 2 Quad are still faster clock-per-clock than Phenom II.

Does Phenom II bottleneck GPUs? Of course not.

People like to bash Core 2 Duo and Quad because they are on a dead socket. Having a dead socket does not mean having "dead" performance.

If you get 100FPS with Core 2 Quad and 130FPS with i7, that is not a bottleneck. It is just a faster CPU showing exactly that: faster.

A bottleneck only happens when a component severely hampers another's performance. Extreme Example: A Pentium 4 with a GTX 470.

"Bottleneck" gets thrown around so much, it's ridiculous.
^So, so true. Clock for clock C2Q is indeed faster, but people will recommend a new Phenom II platform to avoid the "bottleneck" LMAO.

The truth is, if you have the mobo, C2Q @ over 3.4-3.5 is still plenty for a high-end vid. If you have to replace your mobo anyway, AMD is the better buy for gaming and allows more future upgrades. Like it or not, Q9xxx is the end the road for us with 775.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2thAche
View Post

^So, so true. Clock for clock C2Q is indeed faster, but people will recommend a new Phenom II platform to avoid the "bottleneck" LMAO.

The truth is, if you have the mobo, C2Q @ over 3.4-3.5 is still plenty for a high-end vid. If you have to replace your mobo anyway, AMD is the better buy for gaming and allows more future upgrades. Like it or not, Q9xxx is the end the road for us with 775.

Yes, Phenom II's competitor is Core 2 Quad

I've seen it happen too, people recommending Phenom II over Core 2 Quad because they think it's faster just for being on a new platform. It doesn't work like that.

Like I said, despite being actually very close, Core 2 Quad is still a tiny bit faster than Phenom II clock per clock. Same thing with Core 2 Duo and Phenom II x2.

PS: Core 2 Quad is the end of the road for LGA 775, but these platforms will remain viable for quite some time.

Back on Topic: Q8200 will not bottleneck HD 5850, or HD 5870, or GTX 470 or even GTX 480. Give it a nice OC 3ghz+ and you are ready for the mayhem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.