Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to mount my pump at the bottom of my case. But I was wondering if I use these elbows to the input of it would they hurt the flow of the water? or am I better off just using the tubing and having it slightly kink, Like not very much kinking. I don't know if you would call it a kink, more like it SLIGHTLY flattens. Not that much. Thanks

-Atomic

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So should I get a bunch of them and put elbows on like every bend? and make everything like right angles. I think that would hurt the flow though.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Try and only use them where a extreme bend is to be, in my case i used 2 of those elbows in my loop, one from the cpu to gpu block and the other from the gpu block to the resivior since i was making a 180 degrees turn my cheap tubing ($.89/ft 1/2" ID 3/4"OD) would put a lot of stress on the gfx card and i didnt want any probems on a kink or breakage of the card.

this is my loop (old pict) many addjustments since then but the cpu-gpu-res has not changed.

http://www.overclock.net/attachments...g?d=1122422591
http://www.overclock.net/attachments...g?d=1122422584

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
A kink will damage flow more then an elbow will. You should limit the use of elbows, but it's one of those things that you have to use sometimes even if you don't want to.

People say stay away from elbows because there are a few out there that will put 10+ of them in a system. THE HORROR!!!

• Rep+
Reactions: atomicfission92

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Any type of elbow impedes low too much for my liking...

I would mch rather use more tuing than put an elbow it...i would only put an elbow n if there was no othr way around it....

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Elbows are bad in a water loop. If you absolutely must use some, I would suggest going to Home Depot and look at the plumbing section. They make copper elbows that have a nice smooth curve instead of a direct 90 degree bend.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
thought about it, then stopped.......increased weght and theefoe stress n compnens......and too diffcult to disconnect and work around.....

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on a side note, What clamps are you using on your tubing? I have the Clearflex 60 1/2" id and 3/4" od. I got some clamps from voyeurmods.com, these to be specific. I noticed that alot of people are using that style clamp. Mine seem like kinda small. I have to use pliers to close them and only like 2-3 teeth grab on each side. Where can I get bigger clamps? or are these ok to use?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Fire

i second that, or make your own. anyone ever thought of making a pure copper plumbing W/C setup?

Yeah, it's been done before, but as Hardwater mentioned, it is a b!$ch to work on/with. It sure does look pretty sweet though.

• Rep+
Reactions: atomicfission92

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
If you must use elbows, try this:

Get 2 22.5 fittings, one after the other. That way, you create a more gradual bend instead of one sharp bend. It will increase flow, I can guarantee it.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well what I did was because the bend wasn't too sharp, I took some of the left over clamps and put them around the hose and made it round again. It only took like 3 - 4 of them, and its perfect. Thanks for all the input!!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
i still think elbows are superfluous.....just let the tubing go through its natural bend, it'ss work just fine, and there will be no flow restrictions.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.