but how far would you think i would get with these specs
----------------------
-ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD Opteron 144 Venus 1GHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
-coolermaster wavemaster case
-cd-rw
-dvd-rom
-40gb ide & 80gb ide HDD
-Kingston ValueRAM 256MB (2 x 128MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory (Timing 3-3-3 )

how far can i pull off with these specs. ( in ghz )

appreciate it
-john

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The 144 should be capable of getting to 2.6 -2.7 without any increases in v-vore .The ram may hold you up abit Best to get 1 gig at least for todays games.. with abit of v-core and some good cooling 3.0gig on the 144 should b no problem depending on the stepping

·
Registered
15 Posts
As far as the CPU is concerned you're almost guaranteed 2.8 GHz. As far as I know, all of the E4 steppings are good for that on after market coolers and even stock coolers for the most part. I haven't checked the Opteron pricing lately, but have you looked at the E4 3700+'s? I think the chance of getting CABGE (the worst stepping of them all) is about the same on both chips. Either way I wish you the best of luck!

·
Banned
218 Posts
anything IMO with the same specs as the FX-57 is worth it, thats the whole reason I got my 3700+ as for dual core I would probably go with anything like the opteron 165 or anything Toledo.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cake_man

i would probably say with that motherboard no, its realy not oc friendly, not for me anyway
whats your budget?

Alot of people have had great success with the DualSATA. Try the OCWorkbench modded BIOS.

·
Registered
294 Posts
get a mobo with a nforce chipset. I have found that the Biostar brand is very overclockable and the company encourages overclocking, they even have a oc setup in the bios dedicated to overclockin. Whats nice is that if you go to far and you locked up your puter, it will automatically reset it for you. A very nice option to have if your new to overclocking. I just put one together this past weekend and got some fantastic benchmarks using the 3700+ sandy core. got up to 2.98 Ghz on air. Ran stable but I got nervous and lowerd it to 2.79. If you can afford it, get ram that is made for overclockin, tigerdirect has a stick of geil pc4400 for around a hundred dollars. something to think about. BTW, biostar mobos are budget motherboard. I only paid 70 dollars for the one I used

·
Registered
986 Posts
May i suggest the Biostar T series >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138264
With the 3700+ SD>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103539
With the T-series being made for extreme overclocking and haveing a overcloacking guide that comes with the board and a great overclocking chip as the SDs are now-a-days your looking at a great budget PC. I am also suggesting this because of the built in video that is considered one of the best for a on-board and is close in comparison to the 6200 and a pci-e for that better card down the road. This will also save you some money for better OC ram like the Geil pc4400

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hey, I just got done OCing my 144

Sig tells setup, I got to around 2.7 before it crapped out and won't go to windows, but things is, i'm at 2.6 right now but it won't past prime95
It lasts like 5 seconds, literally. lol, but the only thing i did was raise the HTT, didn't even bother with the RAM timings. Right now, it's HTT 288x9 for 2.59, Vcore is 1.408 (1.983 is was stock is) and vdimm at 2.7. I know I can get 2.8-2.9 with some more tweaking. Last thing, I'm using AMD stock heatsink, and my temps are about 40c.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Like madman said, get a T series Biostar if you go that route. Thats the one I used and got great results. I used a Micro ATX with the Geforce 6100 chip.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cer0c

AMD Opteron 144 Venus 1GHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

Since a 144 has a low multiplier, overclocking is achieved by using high HTT (> 280MHz).

That board will not allow you to make such a high HTT. Just as Kevin speaks of his overclock he tells you that he can not get it stable at his settings, he doesn't tell you how far he can get it to stable but tells you how far he can take the "Value" board unstable. He can't make 2.6 stable but he "knows" he can make 2.8 - 2.9. Hopefully you do not place your expectations like he has. This is little help to you when deciding to buy a "Value" board. Do not expect diamonds from quartz. If you buy this board then expect a "Value" based overclock.

You spend more on the case than on the motherboard?

Since value RAM will not run 1:1 at this speed, you will have to use a memory divider. This board will only offer the basic 4: 100 (1:2), 133 (2:3), 166 (5:6) and 200 (1:1).

If you take an example of a 144 overclocked to 2.5GHz (9x280). Hopefully you will get here with this board stable, but there is certainly no guarentee. The 166 divider will give you a memory frequency of 229MHz, where as the 133 divider gives 180MHz. Unless you have memory that can handle 229MHz, you are forced to underclock to 180MHz.

I would say that you will be lucky to make it to 2.5GHz fully prime95 stable.

R

1 - 13 of 13 Posts