Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current rig is just great, it can run any game I want flawlessly.

But, I do video edition frequently with Adobe Premiere Pro, and do some engineering work. It just seems like I could use some extra horsepower.

What I'd like to upgrade is the following:

*Change my CPU for an i7 980x
*Change my GPU's for GTX 480's in SLI, because of CUDA acceleration (BTW I need an advice on this one, because I'll be using CUDA for adobe premiere pro and some other design software like AutoCAD. Maybe, I could consider a QuadroFX card, but man, they're SO FREAKING EXPENSIVE!

Of course, I'd sell my current CPU and GPU's, but I want your advice before doing anything.

thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I think CUDA acceleration can be useful for me, but I really don't wanna waste 4k on a GPU just for that, when I can get a couple of gaming cards which can provide the same acceleration in CUDA.

EDIT: AFAIK ATI steam is still in Beta, and it's only supported on AMD platforms (CPU, Motherboard and GPU from the same company)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not only that, but if it's also convenient to get the 980x.

It's gonna be either a couple of GTX 480's in SLI or a Quadro FX 5800, but about the Quadro, I want to know if it's really gonna be useful for anything, or if I can get the CUDA acceleration with the GeForce cards, because I really don't wanna drop 4k in a single GPU.

So again, is it convenient, for my needs, to upgrade to an i7 980x and/or (only) the GPU's options?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They're CPU intensive, but for example, Adobe Premiere Pro can be accelerated via CUDA, but that's about on the apps that support CUDA. The others, like 3DSmax or AutoCAD are CPU only

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, I think I can wait a couple of weeks until I get the money for an 980x lol

soo, about the GTX 480's I should wait until they're released right?

·
Banned
2,333 Posts
go for the 980x, but instead of replacing your wonderful 5870's, just by a gtx 285 2gb edition or a gtx 295 to use for cuda and physx.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there's no space for another GPU: I have the following setup

So, I either take out one of the HD 5870's or... well, I forget about CUDA

EDIT: Is there any way to block ads on Opera?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts