Overclock.net banner

Would this 5.1 setup be worth it for movies and games ?

5337 Views 56 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  JustinThyme
Hey, been a long time since I've posted here.

This would replace a near-dead Logitech Z-5500 system with severe crackling speakers that's 15 years old. The reason I'm going with a traditional receiver is that the Xbox Series S and PS5 no longer have optical out. I want to spend as little as possible while also getting an upgrade in sound from my Z-5500 digital system. I recently got 200 BluRay movies from someone that switched solely to streaming and I want to utilize the True HD and DTS MA tracks on the discs and apparently the PS4 does support that but only via HDMI.

Front + Back speakers

Center Speaker

Subwoofer

5.1 Receiver I'm likely to get

Much more expensive 7.2 receiver I might get due to more HDMI inputs

An alternative option that wouldn't support current-gen consoles is.

Logitech Z906 5.1

I have a few questions/comments regarding the home theater system.

First off, the center speaker is 6ohms, the other speakers are 8ohms. Will that be an issue ?
Technically the front speakers are supposed to be using a set of different tall 6ohms speakers, but that set also uses the same 8hms speakers as rear speakers, will that make much of a difference ?
The Z-5500's didn't have tweeters so I don't think there would be much of a difference in the systems.
I'm contemplating getting a set of these for my PC to replace my 2.1 Klipsch system as the sub has blown out, but the Klipsch system has tweeters so I wonder if the Logitech set would be a downgrade.
I noticed Amazon has nearly every receiver listed as 'discontinued by the manufacturer' so it's hard to find anything under $1k on there.
Is that subwoofer compatible with the receiver ? I read something about having to change things on the back.
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· woot
3,044 Posts
the z5500 was a great system and had way more options than other pc systems of the time. I used the set for years with an htpc. the "receiver" really made it stand out from the other offerings since it didnt limit you to a single pc input (and possibly an aux) like most of the other choices. I still have the sub and control unit hooked up upstairs for use with a basic 5.1 system for playing movies and games on a playstation. i tried the logitech g51 system on my pc after the z5500 and it failed to compare at any level. as soon as the sub of the g51 failed, i replaced the system with a small desktop amp with the polk tsi100 bookshelf speakers and the psw111 sub. although it is only 2.1, it sounds great at all volumes for movies, games, music, etc. dont underestimate the impact of the amp (which usually sucks on integrated pc systems). even a small cheaper, but properly powered, class d amp will outperform that of the majority of pc integrated systems

· A title was here
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
It's not a bad option on a budget by any means, but I would suggest you consider the fact that if you get something better now, you're much less likely to want to upgrade again in the future so over time the cost could be less overall. A good set of speakers can practically last a lifetime.
This is the logic I was looking for, it's all about comparing them to the Z-5500's, if they're an upgrade, and if they're worth the massive price increase. I wouldn't be replacing what I get for at least a decade or longer.

I'm going to just have to up and make a choice/take a chance soon.

• Rep+
Reactions: UltraMega

· Registered
150 Posts
Hey, been a long time since I've posted here.

This would replace a near-dead Logitech Z-5500 system with severe crackling speakers that's 15 years old. The reason I'm going with a traditional receiver is that the Xbox Series S and PS5 no longer have optical out. I want to spend as little as possible while also getting an upgrade in sound from my Z-5500 digital system. I recently got 200 BluRay movies from someone that switched solely to streaming and I want to utilize the True HD and DTS MA tracks on the discs and apparently the PS4 does support that but only via HDMI.

Front + Back speakers

Center Speaker

Subwoofer

5.1 Receiver I'm likely to get

Much more expensive 7.2 receiver I might get due to more HDMI inputs

An alternative option that wouldn't support current-gen consoles is.

Logitech Z906 5.1

I have a few questions/comments regarding the home theater system.

First off, the center speaker is 6ohms, the other speakers are 8ohms. Will that be an issue ?
Technically the front speakers are supposed to be using a set of different tall 6ohms speakers, but that set also uses the same 8hms speakers as rear speakers, will that make much of a difference ?
The Z-5500's didn't have tweeters so I don't think there would be much of a difference in the systems.
I'm contemplating getting a set of these for my PC to replace my 2.1 Klipsch system as the sub has blown out, but the Klipsch system has tweeters so I wonder if the Logitech set would be a downgrade.
I noticed Amazon has nearly every receiver listed as 'discontinued by the manufacturer' so it's hard to find anything under $1k on there.
Is that subwoofer compatible with the receiver ? I read something about having to change things on the back.
I have some experience with your parts list. I have the Polk T15 speakers and the T30 Center speaker and they sound very good. "What you want to know" - I own and used the Denon, Polk t15 & t30 a wireless Klipsch sub with a rocketfish transmitter for the Polk monitor 30 surround speakers and it sounded very good to me. I have moved and downsized my speakers so I am now using this Klipsch 5 speaker set $368 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HWRKA2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with the Denon AVR-S540BT receiver $279 and the wireless Klipsch R-10SWi 10" subwoofer which is now a ridiculous $550. These smaller speakers sound very good too and you will like the sound with either 5 speaker set up you buy but these speakers need a Sub-Woofer to fill out the sound. I would go with any wired Klipsch Sub ($150-$300) and a Rocket Fish transmitter for the surround speakers (which I'm still using now). Anyway my barely used T15s and T30 plus some well worn Monitor 30's are sitting in my attic cause I downsized my speakers. Also I've used the Z906 with a Polk TL150 5.0 speaker pack and that set up sounds great for PC gaming, movies and TV. Logitech satellite speakers are horribly tinny sounding so I tossed them but their Subs sound great. You will never blow out the Z906 sub and it still sounds fantastic.

· A title was here
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I have some experience with your parts list. I have the Polk T15 speakers and the T30 Center speaker and they sound very good. "What you want to know" - I own and used the Denon, Polk t15 & t30 a wireless Klipsch sub with a rocketfish transmitter for the Polk monitor 30 surround speakers and it sounded very good to me. I have moved and downsized my speakers so I am now using this Klipsch 5 speaker set $368 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HWRKA2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with the Denon AVR-S540BT receiver $279 and the wireless Klipsch R-10SWi 10" subwoofer which is now a ridiculous $550. These smaller speakers sound very good too and you will like the sound with either 5 speaker set up you buy but these speakers need a Sub-Woofer to fill out the sound. I would go with any wired Klipsch Sub ($150-$300) and a Rocket Fish transmitter for the surround speakers (which I'm still using now). Anyway my barely used T15s and T30 plus some well worn Monitor 30's are sitting in my attic cause I downsized my speakers. Also I've used the Z906 with a Polk TL150 5.0 speaker pack and that set up sounds great for PC gaming, movies and TV. Logitech satellite speakers are horribly tinny sounding so I tossed them but their Subs sound great. You will never blow out the Z906 sub and it still sounds fantastic.
This is the type of input I was looking for. I mean the Polk speakers HAVE to be an upgrade from the Z-5500, for the price I'm hoping it's a large upgrade. So if I were to mix in the following subwoofer, would it be a solid setup ?

Klipsch Reference R-10SW 10" 300w Powered Subwoofer

Will 18 gauge wire be fine for all the speakers since the center is 6omhs and the others are 8, I wouldn't need more than 20 feet for a single connection though.

· Graphics Junkie
4,527 Posts
This is the type of input I was looking for. I mean the Polk speakers HAVE to be an upgrade from the Z-5500, for the price I'm hoping it's a large upgrade. So if I were to mix in the following subwoofer, would it be a solid setup ?

Will 18 gauge wire be fine for all the speakers since the center is 6omhs and the others are 8, I wouldn't need more than 20 feet for a single connection though.
Yes it will be all good, you can use any standard subwoofer for a system like that.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
A good rule of thumb is you generally don't ask a salesman if you should buy something because they will always say yes. People already know they need at least two speakers. Klipsch wants to argue that people need to buy at least one more.

I know this is going to make your head explode but Klipsch having a short blurb on their website that tries to convince people to buy more speakers is not exactly great unbiased evidence to support your argument.

But you know what it really doesn't matter. If you and some others think the center speaker is really working harder than the left and right despite the fact that their man purpose is for dialog when it comes to actual home theater usage, thats fine. My point was mostly to say that it doesn't hurt to get cheaper REAR speakers. This debate about left right vs center is stupid because its entirely subjective. Still, you're wrong. Left and right are more important for anyone with a brain rested firmly between the ears they'll be listening to their speakers with.
You have comprehension issues.

In a setup that features 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, 11.1 and beyond, the center channel IS the most important speaker in the system. There is no subjectivity in that, it's a fact backed by science and logic.

Anything less than those setups, yes the main L and R speaker is by far the most important speaker because you're phantoming the center.

You could argue that you don't exactly need a center channel either and always using the L and R to phantom the center. That is the second best case scenario of course (3 identical LCR, vertical MTM is the best), no doubt but unless you're a hermit that isn't always realistic option.

· Graphics Junkie
4,527 Posts
You have comprehension issues.

In a setup that features 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, 11.1 and beyond, the center channel IS the most important speaker in the system. There is no subjectivity in that, it's a fact backed by science and logic.

Anything less than those setups, yes the main L and R speaker is by far the most important speaker because you're phantoming the center.

You could argue that you don't exactly need a center channel either and always using the L and R to phantom the center. That is the second best case scenario of course (3 identical LCR, vertical MTM is the best), no doubt but unless you're a hermit that isn't always realistic option.
Wrong.

Backed by science lol so stupid.

· A title was here
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help, it didn't fall on deaf ears as I'll definitely be buying one of the setups recommended here very soon.

· Registered
150 Posts

The Z5500 satellites sound like Tin Cans, horrible. I'm trying to be nice because the Logi sub is sweet. There is no comparison between the Polks and Z5500 Satellites. Just swap out one speaker with a Polk and you'll know what I mean. 18 gauge would do but 16 is nice. Whatever you have laying around. That sub is the same one I have w/o the wifi hookup.

· A title was here
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

· Registered
167 Posts
Someone on another forum recommended these. I'm just doing last-minute checking before locking into a decision.

Speakers - Note the price - Normally $400-$460 - Amazon.com: Jamo Studio Series S 803 HCS-BLK Black Home Cinema System: Home Audio & Theater

And to make sure the receiver has at least some form of 'room correction'.
If they're anything like the 807 then you'll definitely need a ton of DSP correction - and not for the room!

For absolute budget speakers, I usually recommend the BS22-LR (they've been on sale for <$100/pr on newegg) but they don't seem readily available right now? Hope they haven't been discontinued.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Someone on another forum recommended these. I'm just doing last-minute checking before locking into a decision.

Speakers - Note the price - Normally $400-$460 - Amazon.com: Jamo Studio Series S 803 HCS-BLK Black Home Cinema System: Home Audio & Theater

Sub - Amazon.com: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: Home Audio & Theater

And to make sure the receiver has at least some form of 'room correction'.
The S803 are decent speakers, they're not a bad choice for $400+ for sure.

As for the sub, my opinion is that the F12 is a fart box. I suggest saving up for an SVS, Hsu or Rythmik sub instead. The newly announced SVS PB1000 Pro will knock the living lights off the F12 for not very much more and will last you a much longer time, couple that with industry leading customer service as a bonus.

About any modern receiver has rudimentary room correction these days, but understand that they're not a silver bullet to good sound. They do help, but don't expect them to just fix any audio issues you have. The most important part to good audio is correct positioning of the speakers, a well treated room and sensible seating location.

· A title was here
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Going with this setup

Receiver - https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDN1080-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B06XKRWWSG

Front - Center - Rear - Amazon.com: Jamo Studio Series S 803 HCS-BLK Black Home Cinema System: Home Audio & Theater

Atmos speakers - Amazon.com: S 8 ATM White: Home Audio & Theater

Subwoofer - https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Reference-R-10SW-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00MH42BBI

What I'm confused about is what type of subwoofer RCA cable do I need, a single or y-split ?

Decided against these for a multitude of reasons including the fact that they're not neutral.

· A title was here
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Well, officially decided on a system and actually bought some parts on sale so no more flip-flopping. Bought 2 pairs of the A130's and an A125C while they're on sale. Should be buying the sub and receiver on Wednesday as well as the cables/wire cutter/stripper I'll need.

Receiver - Denon AVR-S540BT 5.2-channel home theater receiver with Bluetooth® at Crutchfield

Still willing to spend $100 more if it would make a difference.

Sub - Klipsch Reference R-112SW Powered subwoofer, wireless adapter optional at Crutchfield

Center - JBL Stage A125C Center channel speaker at Crutchfield

Almost went with the low-profile version but everyone said 5" woofers would make a world of difference over 3" woofers

Front/Rear (2 pairs) - JBL Stage A130 Bookshelf speakers at Crutchfield

Thanks for the help everyone !

· A title was here
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I now own everything in my previous post. Ended up getting the Denon from Bestbuy as no one else had a new one in stock and I wanted to have everything setup before Saturday as I'm having a 2 day LAN party over here. Also bought a bunch of BluRays and tomorrow I'm buying a PS5 for Demon's Souls. I will definitely update everyone with my initial impressions about the setup. Thanks for the help/input everyone !

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.