Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

When BD is released, I'm putting together a PC with a friend consisting of these parts:

Case: CM Storm Enforcer
Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
CPU: Either 6 or 8 core AM3+
CPU-cooler: CoolIT ECO A.L.C.
GPU: 1x Radeon HD6950 unlocked and OC'd (maybe a 6970)
RAM: 8Gb. G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 1600Mhz. CL9
HDD: Already owns one
ODD: Already owns a DVD burner
PSU: XFX 750W

Now, he's going to use it for gaming and Photoshop work, so therefore the 8Gb. RAM.

Nothing can be changed because we're going for a black/red "The Dark Side" theme, and everything fits together perfectly well with matching colors and all
smile.gif
- input is okay though.

I just need to know if it would max out games like Crysis 2 w/DX11 patch? After all it's gonna be a HD6970 on a 1920x1080p monitor. We will probably OC the card and the CPU.

Also, he wants to play Star Wars: The Old Republic, Diablo III and BF3, preferably maxed out, but I figured if it could run Crysis 2 DX11 patch maxed out, it could also run those three games at max too.

Would it run it maxed out? Or do we have to invest in 2x 6950 or a single GTX 580 and Sandy Bridge?

I think the budget can be squeezed to about $1500, but that's the absolute limit.

All inputs are welcome, although we cannot buy outside of Denmark, and no used or refurbished items. Prices are high here as well, so a GTX 580 is probably out of question
frown.gif

Anyway, thanks in advance!
smile.gif

- get a debate going!
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
for crysis2 i think you would want ot have CF 6950s rather then just one. I know that AMD guys are having a little isuues with crysis since the game is optimized for the green team abut can still play it none the less

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Get an i5 2500k & a GTX 570 & you should be able to max out crysis 2 atleast

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-jose;14256699
for crysis2 i think you would want ot have CF 6950s rather then just one. I know that AMD guys are having a little isuues with crysis since the game is optimized for the green team abut can still play it none the less
Yeah, I knew there were problems on the Red Team, but he isn't going to play Crysis 2. I merely used it as a reference
smile.gif
Other games like Metro 2033 has better graphics, I think, and Homefront was beautiful as well
smile.gif

I just need to know if the 6970 ('cause a 6950 unlocked and OC'd is a 6970) would be able to handle current games and coming games maxed out?
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouch;14256716
Get an i5 2500k & a GTX 570 & you should be able to max out crysis 2 atleast
Seing as AMD is a budget choice, we won't go Sandy Bridge. Perhaps if BD turns out to be rubbish, we'll get the i5-2500k and a GTX 570/HD6970
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by razaice;14256733
Currently even my gpu setup can't max crysis 2. We need some kind of update or fix.
Yeah, but I wasn't really caring about Crysis 2 as a game, since my friend isn't going to play it. I only used it as a reference point
smile.gif
But yeah, a fix is definately needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59;14256797
Get a GTX 570 2.5 Gb...
RAM is of no concern at this point, since he's only gaming on a single 1920x1080p screen.

To all: Thanks for all the replies!
smile.gif
Hope for more! And +rep!

We also wanted to go AMD since the company and marketing speaks more to us than Intel/nVidia. We also don't care about PhysX. And in addition he probably wants to have 2 or 3 screens at one point, and I know AMD is better at that
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BUMP!
smile.gif

Get this debate going
smile.gif

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,605 Posts
If Crysis 2 is your only main concern, then I would also vote for the i5 2500k and probably 2x 560 Ti's in SLI(or even 2x 570s) vs just a single card. I always feel like any budget over $1000 deserves 2 gpus in their system. No one is sure on BD performance, so it's just a waiting game now.

Btw, my 2x 5770s can only run Crysis2 on Very High(maybe some extreme options) with DX11 and the High Res pack enabled. They are usually equivalent to a 5870/6950 in terms of performance. This is why people are recommending 2 6950s or even switching to Nvidia, since Crysis2 was "tailored" for Nvidia cards.

• Rep+
Reactions: WhitePrQjser

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokin;14260108
If Crysis 2 is your only main concern, then I would also vote for the i5 2500k and probably 2x 560 Ti's in SLI(or even 2x 570s) vs just a single card. I always feel like any budget over $1000 deserves 2 gpus in their system. No one is sure on BD performance, so it's just a waiting game now.

Btw, my 2x 5770s can only run Crysis2 on Very High(maybe some extreme options) with DX11 and the High Res pack enabled. They are usually equivalent to a 5870/6950 in terms of performance. This is why people are recommending 2 6950s or even switching to Nvidia, since Crysis2 was "tailored" for Nvidia cards.
It isn't my main concern. It was meant as a reference point
smile.gif
But I think I'll have a talk with him about 2x GPUs, because I think you're right. But the problem is that it has to be black/red themed.

My 2x GTX 460 runs Crysis 2 w/DX 11 and Hi-Res pack on Ultra with almost no lagg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraxinsoup;14260145
Get 2x6950s, the 11.7 drivers will probably fix the problems in Crysis 2. People who say get 570s are lulz, 570s are POS for the price, they suck compared to the 6970 in almost every game and scaling is lulz compared to 6970.
Yeah, I feel ya on the 560 issue. We are pretty set on a 6950 unlocked to 6970, and then a 900Mhz. core clock.

We might look in to a dual GPU setup. Although, he'll mostly be playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and Diablo III. He was hoping to max out Battlefield 3 though.

·
Overclocked
3,988 Posts
With only one HD6950 you might run it maxed out with some slowdowns here & there.
Crysis 2 will put all single cards to their knees. you need Crossfire or SLI
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadlessKnight
View Post

With only one HD6950 you might run it maxed out with some slowdowns here & there.
Crysis 2 will put all single cards to their knees. you need Crossfire or SLI

That was actually what I was kinda hoping I would hear

When it all comes down to it, I'd see if he wants a dual GPU setup or wait, and add one down the road. I know the 6950/6970 will max out Diablo III and SW:TOR. I just know

Well, CFX with 2x 6950/6970 will scale much better, and overall be better than 2x GTX 570s

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BUMP

I have a question to add:

Would 2x 6850 or 6870 be good? Or should we skip those entirely? They also have 256 bit, but only 1Gb. VRAM.

It'd be a lot cheaper though... I just think I might be pushing it with CFX 6950s :S

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhitePrQjser
View Post

BUMP

I have a question to add:

Would 2x 6850 or 6870 be good? Or should we skip those entirely? They also have 256 bit, but only 1Gb. VRAM.

It'd be a lot cheaper though... I just think I might be pushing it with CFX 6950s :S

256-bit, but 1GB of VRAM will bottleneck you hard in Crysis 2.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthraxinsoup
View Post

256-bit, but 1GB of VRAM will bottleneck you hard in Crysis 2.

Seriously? My 2x GTX 460 can handle the game on Ultra settings with DX11 and Hi-Res pack. AFAIK GTX 460 1Gb. have 256-bit and, of course, 1Gb. VRAM.

Thought I might've been on to something here

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhitePrQjser
View Post

Seriously? My 2x GTX 460 can handle the game on Ultra settings with DX11 and Hi-Res pack. AFAIK GTX 460 1Gb. have 256-bit and, of course, 1Gb. VRAM.

Thought I might've been on to something here

You may be able to run "smooth", but that can be 20FPS for you. The game eats all 1.5GB of a 580 on a single 1080p screen.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthraxinsoup
View Post

You may be able to run "smooth", but that can be 20FPS for you. The game eats all 1.5GB of a 580 on a single 1080p screen.

Too bad... But as I said, Crysis 2 was used as a reference point since it's the "most advanced graphics" atm. Although, games like Metro 2033 is just as advanced, and I can run that with stuttering.

But he's not interested in Crysis 2. But I'm not allowed to make posts like this about games that aren't out yet, so I cannot ask about Battlefield 3. I've just seen some videos, and it looks to me as if it needs a lot of GPU power. But I'm confident that my 2x 460s would run it maxed out. I was just thinking that he should have something newer.

But I kind of like the idea with either Crossfire 2x 6850s or 6870s since two 6950s is probably pushing his budget. I can't ask him about it now since he's in Italy on vacation.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Witchdoctor
View Post

Running it maxed with sig rig

the new DX11 and texture patch = WIN

Stunning at moments

Sorry, but I don't think your comment is very useful

Given you've read my post, you'd also see that he is not exactly having a budget of i7-2600k and GTX 580. If he had, I would'nt be asking these questions, and certainly not in the AMD section

·
MegaTechPC
19,220 Posts
Quote:

I just need to know if it would max out games like Crysis 2 w/DX11 patch?

And so it begins...

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.