Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just one of those "would it work" questions. No plans to get one.

So what do you guys think? WS cards always have great double percision.

·
Registered
652 Posts
No - the underlying silicon is virtually identical to their gaming counterparts. The different drivers might make a small difference.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm... Okay. <.< Thanks and plus rep.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
It's been asked before (though still not tested), but since the drivers for workstation cards are geared towards CUDA performance, it's quite likely you'll see an increase in folding.

However, from this article it can be seen that real Quardo cards still perform much better than normal cards with flashed BIOSes, so if you flash the BIOS and see no improvements, it doesn't mean real workstation cards would perform similarly.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
People always say no
The soft modded vs for real quadro tests are always rendering related and that isn't what we are looking for, you don't need uber vram for folding but that is what makes the pure quadros shine in their respective tests. Someone do it already, if it works imagine how many dedicated 8800 cards will get a boost

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
well wasnt that the thing? that the card are no identicle? that they are dif, like memory bit interface?

I always wondered myself for Folding and for Certain Games, since Quaddros are supposed to be able to handle much more at once, I wondered if they could handle games liek mine, Warhammer online, where it lags when battles with 200, 300+ people in one area.

Def a good question, maybe I can talk my customer into running one of his quaddro 3800 on Folding for a few days?

He is currently Surviving Cancer so I am sure he might give it a shot =)

he runs those on his SolidWorks Workstations that I build for him, only i7 920, p6t deluxe 12gb ram, Guadro 3800, nothing special, but a hell of a machine for $2100

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Alright, I'm going to go softmod my 9800GT then and see how it goes (could take me a while, and I'l probably mess it up and be without a GPU, but I'll try).

I'll report back soon.

EDIT: It is possible to flash the normal BIOS back, right?

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac
View Post

Alright, I'm going to go softmod my 9800GT then and see how it goes (could take me a while, and I'l probably mess it up and be without a GPU, but I'll try).

I'll report back soon.

Not sure 9*** series can do it but I suppose it's just a dieshrink. No risk of losing the card don't fear

·
Registered
652 Posts
The SPECviewperf 10 results should be taken with a grain of salt - the tests are a series of OpenGL tests that were developed to target features of the Workstation cards that normal cards struggle with, in effect the tests set out to cripple gaming cards from the very start- they don't represent real world performance or provide an indication of the raw computing power a GPU can dish out.

It's worth looking at the Quadro line and comparing it to the GeForce line
a Quadro 4800 ($1,550) has 192 cores - this makes it equal to a GTX260 ($200) ~ignoring memory size

A Quadro 5800 ($3,050) has 240 cores - making it equal to a GTX285 ($350) ~again ignoring memory size

The lesser Quadros roughly marry up to the lower geforce cards, the prices of course are much greater.

Probably why no one has bothered to build a folding rig with Quadros.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by el gappo
View Post

Not sure 9*** series can do it but I suppose it's just a dieshrink. No risk of losing the card don't fear

You sure? Because I read that an 8800GT/9800GT can be flashed to an FX3700?

Awww... I wanted to flash it...

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac View Post
You sure? Because I read that an 8800GT/9800GT can be flashed to an FX3700?

Awww... I wanted to flash it...

Just use riva tuner like in the guide I posted
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33898714 I'm going for a few hours, when I come back I better see a ppd increase

• Rep+
Reactions: zodac

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Righto. I'll go start.

EDIT: No good. Don't have the "NVStrap driver" tab on RivaTuner.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
Does it need to be a g80 core? If so, I am fine with giving it a shot on my GTS once I get a GTX480 in my system

but that's a week or two away... and I am not even at my computer to be able to try it this week.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I had an 88 on hand, I would flash it over and see what happens... Just as long as my bios flash does not go wrong.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
Ok, as promised, I softmodded my 8800GTS to a quadro. (note: I did not get a GTX480 yet, but I decided to mess with my card anyway.... hopefully I can change it back
)

It looks like my average PPD dropped by about 50 points on a 353 unit. Not a big drop, perhaps it has something to do with me using my PC while testing it.

But on a side note: my windows experience score for the GPU went up by a whole point

Well, now Im too lazy to change it back to a GTS. I guess I will leave it like this for now. I don't game anymore so its not like I really need any gaming drivers. A quadro will work fine for my everyday use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts