Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a pretty good deal on a used Samsung 950 pro but am very leery of buying a used drive for a couple reasons, you don't know what kind of abuse/stress that drive has taken, and more importantly what was installed on it.

Would you buy a used SSD?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Yes! absolutely. The only problem you could ever have is it is already dead and they are scamming you. Other than that, if it works, it will work for another 20 years.

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
check out samsung's SSDs warranty regulations for 2nd hand owners before you buy.
AFAIK the warranty is limited to 1st owner.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
You can ask for a S.M.A.R.T status screen shot. That will give you an idea of how "used" the drive is.

Most of my writes are from programs that did things like write a log every 20 min and or sooner(They have since been reduced). Even at that this drive has used 2% of its rated PE cycles.

Do not worry about SSD's previous content. SSD's clean removed files unlike hard drives that leave them waiting for overwriting(if they did not performance would suffer). You can just secure erase it and be good to go in no time.

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
Samsung pro series has insane TB write limit. I've had my 850 Pro for a year now and calculated I've used 1/30th of manufacturer's limit. Will be rocking 850 Pro as my OS drive until 2035
biggrin.gif

Like nuke said, ask for smart data and samsung magician shot. Check out the write limit on the 950 Pro., I bet it's not even at the 1/30 point.

If I'm calculating correctly then 950 Pro 512GB can take 220GB of data writing daily for 5 years to reach the 400TB TBW. Crazy stuff. the warranty period is 5 yrs tho, 850 Pro has a 10 year long warranty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukemaster View Post

You can ask for a S.M.A.R.T status screen shot. That will give you an idea of how "used" the drive is.

Most of my writes are from programs that did things like write a log every 20 min and or sooner(They have since been reduced). Even at that this drive has used 2% of its rated PE cycles.

Do not worry about SSD's previous content. SSD's clean removed files unlike hard drives that leave them waiting for overwriting(if they did not performance would suffer). You can just secure erase it and be good to go in no time.
Ah good to know!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

Samsung pro series has insane TB write limit. I've had my 850 Pro for a year now and calculated I've used 1/30th of manufacturer's limit. Will be rocking 850 Pro as my OS drive until 2035
biggrin.gif

Like nuke said, ask for smart data and samsung magician shot. Check out the write limit on the 950 Pro., I bet it's not even at the 1/30 point.
I will do that thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts