Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres my story, I haven't been much of an overclocker since I found this forum which was right after I bought my new AMD 4400 X2 processor. My old computer is an AMD Athalon 64 3200+ and it worked great, I never payed much attention to the temperature of the cpu though or any of the monitoring in my computer because I didnt overclock back then. Well I put my old AMD 3200 back together and I overclocked it to 2.5Ghz and WOW, the damn thing runs at 26C!!!! Lol i dunno if thats normal for most people but I'm surprised, its running at 1.5 volts and 2.5Ghz with a STOCK fan and stock thermal paste at 26C only. ???, i'm confused because my 4400 X2 is almost twice as hot as that, it runs at 48C on full load (during the torture test) with the stock fan which runs 300RPMs faster than my AMD 3200 stock fan and also has the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste installed in it. Do you guys know if this is the average temperature of the 4400 X2 and that the dual cores run hotter? Or did I do something really wrong here.

P.S. I even took my CPU out and re did the Arctic Silver and only put just a little bit more then a pea size amount like u guys told me to.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Those are very low temps on the 3200, perhaps they arent reporting correctly.
Yes the X2 do run hotter. A bit of it depends on the thermal paste od whether or not up used the factory stuff, ie. the preapplied stuff from AMD. Also.... case circulation is relavant to he overall temps too.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
well...two cores means two heat sources. So, obvs that is something to do with it. Then...the venices just run cool...mine runs full load at about 38-40 degrees...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh ok thanks, so wait which one are u saying is better the AS5 or the factory thermal paste?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Are you sure you are reading the correct temperature? Does that temp increase rapidly and decrease rapidly after running a stress program? That's rediculously low for a load temp, especially with 1.5v.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol, yea dude i'm reading the right temp. I downloaded two programs for it, one Speedfan and two Hmonitor. So does this mean taht if it runs this cool taht I can overclock it very very HIGH?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I guess you would just have to try
Still, too much voltage will kill it, I wouldn't go over 1.65-1.7

·
Registered
100 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HBKECA

Lol, yea dude i'm reading the right temp. I downloaded two programs for it, one Speedfan and two Hmonitor. So does this mean taht if it runs this cool taht I can overclock it very very HIGH?

As long as it doesnt crashes..lol

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HBKECA

Oh ok thanks, so wait which one are u saying is better the AS5 or the factory thermal paste?

AS5 is way better than the factory one.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
It's either a clawhammer or newcastle if it's 1.5V. Nice temps though. I wish my 3200 would overclock at all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its a newcastle, and i cant pass 2.56ghz, it just restarts or doesnt load windows after that. I wonder why, maybe its because of my motherboard. Nontheless this thing is fast for a single core 3200!!!!, loads everything in windows in 2 seconds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts