Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm debating whether or not to drop WoW for EVE, in hopes that SC2 won't be P2P.

WoW = just a little... kiddyish (sp? or grammar) for my tastes... but a lot of my friends are on it... and all I end up doing is the technical stuff... like updating addons and tinkering with the settings... just like an OC does


EVE = haven't really played it before, except for the 3 trials I have played XD... Seems more, technical, to me... and number crunching and whatnot.

I know that OCN plays both of these games, but EVE is the only one where we can ALL get together w/o scrapping our chars. Just wondering what you guys think... and how coordinated are OCN members on these games?

Ahh IDK... I'ma go play some Guitar Hero 2 while I get some responses... or just go to sleep...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,373 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
MMO's are the worse genre of gaming. Is it absolutely necessary that your next game be an MMORPG? Buy something that requires skill.

Moving away from WoW, in any case, is a good move. Most veteran players are bored to death of it, and the latest patch added more of the same stuff. The game is dead-end.

Maybe wait 6 months or so for Left4Dead (should be excellent for playing with friends, and it's extremely hard), or Starcraft 2 (just because).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,398 Posts
Yeah I've played the EvE trial twice and seemed pretty cool, but I've heard that it's a very unbalanced environment while being truly free and open to its players. For instance I've heard stories of people that have been playing since launch and that have these enormous pirate ships coming up to relatively new players and saying, "Hey you, give me all your money or else I'm going to blow you up!" And the person pays... and then gets owned anyway. Seems kind of intriguing, but could be very annoying too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus451 View Post
Yeah I've played the EvE trial twice and seemed pretty cool, but I've heard that it's a very unbalanced environment while being truly free and open to its players. For instance I've heard stories of people that have been playing since launch and that have these enormous pirate ships coming up to relatively new players and saying, "Hey you, give me all your money or else I'm going to blow you up!" And the person pays... and then gets owned anyway. Seems kind of intriguing, but could be very annoying too.
Actual pirates? Haha, wicked.
 

·
SNERP!!!
Joined
·
4,183 Posts
Both WoW & EVE suck. If you are looking for a real MMO go with Anarchy Online. It's kinda old though. EQII is lots of fun on a PVP server. I can't wait to see Warhammer 40k's MMO up and running. It's going to be great. Also Age of Conan looks great too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep... Starcraft 2 and Halo 3 is a definite choice for me...

Quote:
1. MMO's are the worse genre of gaming. Is it absolutely necessary that your next game be an MMORPG? Buy something that requires skill.

Moving away from WoW, in any case, is a good move. Most veteran players are bored to death of it, 2. and the latest patch added more of the same stuff. The game is dead-end.

Maybe wait 6 months or so for Left4Dead (should be excellent for playing with friends, and it's extremely hard), or Starcraft 2 (just because)
1.

2. True dat.
Added: MMOs all require skill. If they didn't, 2 year olds would be playing them. (skill level based)

I only want to drop WoW b/c fricking little kids don't know how to play the game, and horde that are 40 levels higher than my alt gank her when she is fighting... >.> No respect...


I'm still kind of undecided... I'll have to think about it a little more.... Discuss!

Edit: And don't say to play a FPS, Halo 2 has button glitches that everyone uses and makes the game unfair >
, I suck at FPSes anyway, online ones...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyr13 View Post
Yep... Starcraft 2 and Halo 3 is a definite choice for me...

1.

2. True dat.
Added: MMOs all require skill. If they didn't, 2 year olds would be playing them. (skill level based)

I only want to drop WoW b/c fricking little kids don't know how to play the game, and horde that are 40 levels higher than my alt gank her when she is fighting... >.> No respect...


I'm still kind of undecided... I'll have to think about it a little more.... Discuss!

Edit: And don't say to play a FPS, Halo 2 has button glitches that everyone uses and makes the game unfair >
, I suck at FPSes anyway, online ones...
Mate, the only reason toddlers don't play them is because they can't read all that text. They also don't have the patience to stand outside an instance waiting for their guild leader to let them play. "Skill" doesn't come into it.

The only skillful thing about WoW was PvP, and even then you strongly depended on high-end gear. Raiding (Only thing to do at max level) requires virtually no skill, and no strategy (unless you're a guild leader). Every class has their role, and their spells, which they repeat no matter what the situation.
Why do I consider MMO's the worst genre of gaming? Several reasons:
-Little skill required
-Not much fun to be had (esp at high levels)
-Guilds. Having to play at a specific time several times a week, only to have your guild disband because your guild leaders couldn't agree. It's like being recruited in the army. Good for some, disastrous for others.
-Addictive. Sure, most gamers are using video games as a substitute for a girlfriend, but MMO's have a much stronger grasp. In RL, I'm fred, and I work in a cubicle. In WoW, I'm tyrano. Important member of a feared clan! When I join the server I am praised!
-Encourages lazy-style gaming. My brother has only played MMO's on the PC. He gave CSS a try, quitting after a few hours saying it was "too hard". He then went back on WoW to farm gold.

If you are truly set on playing another MMO then I recommend checking out Lord of the Ring Online. I have pretty much heard nothing but good reviews from this game. It has an in-build microphone system too, no Vent
. The musical instruments also allow some level of creativity to be had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Mate, the only reason toddlers don't play them is because they can't read all that text. They also don't have the patience to stand outside an instance waiting for their guild leader to let them play. "Skill" doesn't come into it.

The only skillful thing about WoW was PvP, and even then you strongly depended on high-end gear. Raiding (Only thing to do at max level) requires virtually no skill, and no strategy (unless you're a guild leader). Every class has their role, and their spells, which they repeat no matter what the situation.
Why do I consider MMO's the worst genre of gaming? Several reasons:
-Little skill required
-Not much fun to be had (esp at high levels)
-Guilds. Having to play at a specific time several times a week, only to have your guild disband because your guild leaders couldn't agree. It's like being recruited in the army. Good for some, disastrous for others.
-Addictive. Sure, most gamers are using video games as a substitute for a girlfriend, but MMO's have a much stronger grasp. In RL, I'm fred, and I work in a cubicle. In WoW, I'm tyrano. Important member of a feared clan! When I join the server I am praised!
-Encourages lazy-style gaming. My brother has only played MMO's on the PC. He gave CSS a try, quitting after a few hours saying it was "too hard". He then went back on WoW to farm gold.

If you are truly set on playing another MMO then I recommend checking out Lord of the Ring Online. I have pretty much heard nothing but good reviews from this game. It has an in-build microphone system too, no Vent
. The musical instruments also allow some level of creativity to be had.
I have played FPSes on the computer, and I have to say that they are fun, but like everything else, they take time to get better.

BTW, it takes the skill of reading to read something, even if it doesn't seem like reading is a skill.

Quote:
-Little skill required
Still no
.\\

I feel like playing MMOs because I don't have it cut out as a FPSer. I don't have enough space on my table (not desk, a real table... like a dining room table) to move my mouse around.

Quick reflexes are not my thing either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Depends on your play style. WoW, despite the graphics. Is alot faster paced than most MMO's, which is what I loved about it. But like most have said. Veterans quit. I hit 60, did all the instances, got geared, PVPed. Quit. Expansion. I hit 70, Did all the instances, got geared, PVPed. Quit.

It's a dead end. You'll enjoy it for however long it takes you to hit 70, then about 2-3 months extra.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
Eve is awesome, its hardcore and it will make you cry
- you can lose millions or billions in <5 minutes.

I've been playing for about 1 1/2 years, and play it for a few weeks, then take a break to play other games, come back later and play some more. It's pretty nice with the skill system that your character can be advancing while you are not there.

The only way to go is if you find a group of friends/etc to play with, its pretty boring running missions/ratting for hours on end by yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,716 Posts
I have watched one of my friends roommates play Eve and pretty much seems like a professional grade boredom inducer. It is the slowest paced game I have ever seen. It literally takes hours to fly between some worlds. Hours and hours of nothing but just watching your ship fly. Realistic? Perhaps. Entertaining? Certainly not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaziel View Post
I have watched one of my friends roommates play Eve and pretty much seems like a professional grade boredom inducer. It is the slowest paced game I have ever seen. It literally takes hours to fly between some worlds. Hours and hours of nothing but just watching your ship fly. Realistic? Perhaps. Entertaining? Certainly not.
Your friend must suck at that game, because I can fly across the entire universe in less than a half hour.

Anyways.. I HIGHLY recommend EVE. I've played WoW for well over a year when it was released, and well, it just gets old. It's too easy, therefore you run out of fun really early on.

EVE is a very deep game, like some others have covered, you can be an actual pirate. You can do quite literally anything you want.
There's a story about a couple years ago, I think it's an interesting read that proves just how deep the rabbit hole goes..
http://eve.klaki.net/heist/

I tried making an EVE thread a week ago or so, and it didn't get many responses. A lot of people dislike MMO's around here, and most people hate EVE even more. EVE just takes a lot of time, it's not a baby-mmo like WoW.

If you decide to play EVE, lemme know. i've been playing for a few weeks, just got my first cruiser yesterday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,716 Posts
This was about three years ago when I was watching this. Perhaps the game mechanics have changed significantly since then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3mig0d View Post
Your friend must suck at that game, because I can fly across the entire universe in less than a half hour.

Anyways.. I HIGHLY recommend EVE. I've played WoW for well over a year when it was released, and well, it just gets old. It's too easy, therefore you run out of fun really early on.

EVE is a very deep game, like some others have covered, you can be an actual pirate. You can do quite literally anything you want.
There's a story about a couple years ago, I think it's an interesting read that proves just how deep the rabbit hole goes..
http://eve.klaki.net/heist/

I tried making an EVE thread a week ago or so, and it didn't get many responses. A lot of people dislike MMO's around here, and most people hate EVE even more. EVE just takes a lot of time, it's not a baby-mmo like WoW.

If you decide to play EVE, lemme know. i've been playing for a few weeks, just got my first cruiser yesterday.

I've heard about a heist or two, and it sounded pretty sweet when I heard about it... although I never really took a good look into it.

I'm still debating with myself about it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyr13 View Post
I've heard about a heist or two, and it sounded pretty sweet when I heard about it... although I never really took a good look into it.

I'm still debating with myself about it...

Yeah, I think that'd be fun to do. Something completely evil. I'm already contemplating being a pirate in a while. Dunno if I can be heartless enough for that though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3mig0d View Post
Yeah, I think that'd be fun to do. Something completely evil. I'm already contemplating being a pirate in a while. Dunno if I can be heartless enough for that though.

Lol yeah, I don't think I could go that length of time... but I guess I would if I had to...

Is there an Official EVE thread around here?
 

·
 
Joined
·
29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
MMO's are the worse genre of gaming. Is it absolutely necessary that your next game be an MMORPG? Buy something that requires skill.

Moving away from WoW, in any case, is a good move. Most veteran players are bored to death of it, and the latest patch added more of the same stuff. The game is dead-end.

Maybe wait 6 months or so for Left4Dead (should be excellent for playing with friends, and it's extremely hard), or Starcraft 2 (just because).
Now I didn't read the rest of the posts from this post, but I just wanted to say that you seriously need to try MMO's if you say they doesn't require skill. MMO's are 10 times more social games than FPS'es and many other genres.
 
1 - 20 of 156 Posts
Top