Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not so much a surprise as much as it is strictly a disappointment that regardless of what I do with my cheap Asylum FX5200 (256 MB), I just can't get anything more out of it.
As I had posted sometime earlier, I was trying to get more out of the card to enhance my Doom 3 gaming, but alas, I am seeing no great difference in gaming. I tried testing multiple times on sadly low resolutions and low quality to see if my overclocking did anything. It appeared that nearly nothing was happening. Even at a measly 640x480 Res, with Low Quality, and of course 0xAA and no filtering, I didn't see frame rates any greater than about 61 FPS (and that was when walking alone in the dark). Whenever an Imp decided to pop it's ugly head out, my graphics card ran in fear as well usually dumping the FPS to somewhere about 25-28 FPS.
Also, in the three test runs, I ran the stock clock (250 MHz), then an intermediate overclock (285 MHz) and finally, I went all out (350 MHz). I was expecting to see increased FPS, especially if I was overclocking by 100 MHz, but I saw nothing!
The only conclusion I can come to is that the card refuses to run at clock speeds so high, or I'm not doing something right. I have been using Cool bits and the only thing I've done is tweak the clock in the menu in DOS. I'm expecting if I'm doing wrong, it is a change that needs to be made in the BIOS, and if so, can someone give me a heads up here. The only other thing I can think of is the card might be refusing to overclock anymore past a certain point? Regardless, I'm too much of a newb to possibly comprehend the complete problem at hand...
That Portly Newb,
Silicon_Psycho

P.S. I only overclock the card when I go to play a game in an attempt to keep it from burning out. This might be another cause of error that I am unaware of...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silicon_Psycho

It's not so much a surprise as much as it is strictly a disappointment that regardless of what I do with my cheap Asylum FX5200 (256 MB), I just can't get anything more out of it.
As I had posted sometime earlier, I was trying to get more out of the card to enhance my Doom 3 gaming, but alas, I am seeing no great difference in gaming. I tried testing multiple times on sadly low resolutions and low quality to see if my overclocking did anything. It appeared that nearly nothing was happening. Even at a measly 640x480 Res, with Low Quality, and of course 0xAA and no filtering, I didn't see frame rates any greater than about 61 FPS (and that was when walking alone in the dark). Whenever an Imp decided to pop it's ugly head out, my graphics card ran in fear as well usually dumping the FPS to somewhere about 25-28 FPS.
Also, in the three test runs, I ran the stock clock (250 MHz), then an intermediate overclock (285 MHz) and finally, I went all out (350 MHz). I was expecting to see increased FPS, especially if I was overclocking by 100 MHz, but I saw nothing!
The only conclusion I can come to is that the card refuses to run at clock speeds so high, or I'm not doing something right. I have been using Cool bits and the only thing I've done is tweak the clock in the menu in DOS. I'm expecting if I'm doing wrong, it is a change that needs to be made in the BIOS, and if so, can someone give me a heads up here. The only other thing I can think of is the card might be refusing to overclock anymore past a certain point? Regardless, I'm too much of a newb to possibly comprehend the complete problem at hand...
That Portly Newb,
Silicon_Psycho

P.S. I only overclock the card when I go to play a game in an attempt to keep it from burning out. This might be another cause of error that I am unaware of...

What i think is that u should upgrade ur graphic card. This is not even considered as a gaming Video card. Even with my Radeion 9800 pro 256 sometimes it lags when i play doom3.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Quote:

That Portly Newb,
Silicon_Psycho

If you overclock the card only when you're going to play a game, that is fine. I will assume that the card has a heatsink, not a fan for cooling.

When I overclocked my FX5900XT, Coolbits was the "program" of choice. What I do not understand is what DOS clock menu? Coolbits is a registry hack, so only works in a Windows environment (when the registry is applied). I am not versed on the speeds of the FX5200, but stock cooling (specially if it is only a heat sink) your oc will not be too great.

Also is the question of drivers. What drivers are you using? Official nVidia, Omegas, DNAs? Are all settings where they are supposed to be? Is Windows registering the card at the appropiate AGP speed? Is the card seated all the way in the slot?

Believe it or not, the driver that you are using might be affecting how much you can overclock. And definetively the cooling is a factor.

If you only have a heatsink on the gpu, consider memory heat sinks as an additional cooling option. Also, upgrading the gpu heatsink to a fan is a good idea.

If all fails, attribute the low oc to a low end model, cut your loses and enjoy your games in a lower video setting until you can upgrade.

If you need help with coolbits, I'll be more than happy to give you pointers/directions/ advice/ a shoulder to cry on/etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I haven't done any work in BIOS yet in use with my grfx card except for the day I bought it and had to turn off that wretched on board grfx. However, I am using the 71.80 Nvidia driver which is the most up to date version that I could find. I downloaded this file and the cool bits driver at www.guruof3d.com. My overall guess is that, like the person before you said, the card is just really quite obsolete. It was the low-end card of a generation ago, which meant even at the time of it's release it was at the low-end of the gaming spectrum. Damn my thriftiness, damn it straight to hell. However, I am in the process of upgrading to 1 GB of RAM and I wonder if that is going to make any difference (the RAM is going to be PNY Tech). Well, thanks for giving me what insite you could, and if anything comes to mind, please give me a heads up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:

...I didn't see frame rates any greater than about 61 FPS...

If you had the greatest computer on the planet.... you would not see framerates any higher than 60-61 since the game engine in locked at a 60FPS rate.... you can unlock it to run over that in single player if you want by typing in the command console: com_fixedTic "-1"

Google for Doom 3 console commands. You'll find it somewhere

1 - 5 of 5 Posts