Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before I start. I don't want anyone posting saying "aww your wasting your life away in MMO's" or "your gonna get addicted to another game?" And I also don't want a fanboy war between the WoW players and the Guild Wars players. Lets keep on topic. Please and thanks.

That being said:

I have been playing WoW for a while now (about 1 1/2 years). And I still enjoy it completely. But I'm tired of paying for timecards on a by-monthly basis. So I've decided to switch to guild wars, knowing it's made by many of the people who worked on WoW, so it should be a similar experience, right?

I have to ask, is GW a lot like WoW? Is there anything really big (or small) that I just have to know before I go buy this game?

Also, I am playing on dial-up (yes WoW works on dial-up) and I want to know if people think that it will work just as well on dial-up?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've played both (WoW on private servers, I'm that cheap
) and they aren't to similar except for the fact that they're both mmorpg's.

WoW is much more PvE oriented than GW. If you're expecting the campaign in GW to match up to leveling/questing in WoW you may end up a little disappointed. PvP is really when GW stands out over WoW for me. Limiting the number of skills to 8 adds an interesting element to it.

The graphics are also much better in GW than they are in WoW. I'm not saying it's a superior game because of this, but WoW graphics are becoming a bit of an eye sore. I'll probably be scolded for comparing the two because they're completely different art styles but it's hard to deny that GW just "looks" better.

Although I didn't get very far into WoW, it seemed much deeper than GW. The looting(yes, the looting.), the armor upgrades, mining, all that jazz just added a much deeper feel to WoW that just isn't present in GW.

As far as your dial up goes your first few loads on GW may take a while, but after one or two times it'll be pretty quick I think.

/endrant

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
WoW beats guild wars hands down. GW is like rune scape. Its a starter MMO to get people into the world of MMO gaming. I once played GW and now i can never go back to it. It feels boring and bland.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
You should know that GW is a little more skill oriented because not only must you get the skills, but you are limited to 8 at a time. Making a good build is essential to being good.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i first got into mmorpgs with guild wars, didnt seem overly fun to me, friend told me to try wow, so i did and i havent looked back. I still have the willpower to do other things but fridays and saturdays at night im raiding!

despite being a Rogue I havent really even played PVP because wows pvp is just a grind to get the best pvp gear and then kick arse

so wow > guildwars

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
First MMO I played was GW and it was awesome, I haven't played it in a long time and the game is fairly short, but it was an awesome experience plus free online is awesome. I just started playing WoW and of course its a fun game. Both are different. I say go for GW and give it a try you might like it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
guild wars is definatly teh better experience by far if you have a life, for wow you need to dedicate tons and tons of hours, guild war is FAR MORE BETTER FOR THE people who also like to play other games. I have always played guild wars and wow. I persoanlly like guild wars a lot more.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
GW isn't like WoW, it only seems like 1/2 an MMO, more of a co-op game really.

That said, everyone deserves to play through GW at least once. The music and art direction is simply breathtaking at times. Very few virtual worlds (maybe Morrowind has more) have the feel and ambiance that Guild Wars does.

It's best played with a friend or 2 as well.

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideTheCinema
View Post

WoW graphics are becoming a bit of an eye sore

After I max everything out I get 60 - 70 fps in Northrend,
and 20's in the Middle of Wintergrasp Battle.

So if your saying this graphics are bad,
then what am I supposed to get with "good" graphics? 1 fps?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
if you played WoW, you won't like guild wars.
trust me when i say the game is no where near as good as WoW sadly
go ahead and try it

·
Registered
819 Posts
Guild war is definatly a game to be played with friends. Pretty boring by yourself. If you have no friends then stick to wow. If your gonna play wow then play on private servers.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
GW for pvp
wow for pve

I played GW for about 1200hours and can say the pve element was extremely lacking. After I had completeted pve ( which takes no time ) I just pvped constantly. The idea of having a good build is challenging but once you find a good one you usually have to change as they nerf good skills all the time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinnuke View Post
WoW beats guild wars hands down. GW is like rune scape. Its a starter MMO to get people into the world of MMO gaming. I once played GW and now i can never go back to it. It feels boring and bland.

Quote:
And I also don't want a fanboy war between the WoW players and the Guild Wars players. Lets keep on topic. Please and thanks.
You're not helping him by posting about which game you think is better. Each game has its good and bad points.

Personally I really enjoy Guild Wars if I've got some friends to play with, otherwise everything being instanced really makes you feel lonely, as if you're playing a single-player game rather than the MMO that the game is. Endgame PvE and PvP are both fun, but this is one of the best PvP games out there.

It's a different game from WoW, but just don't worry. Play it, and you'll soon see how it differs, and what you like and dislike about it.

-Matt

·
Science
3,487 Posts
Ok let me be the first one to say Guild Wars is fun, And yes i have played both WoW and GW.

Wow to me was to childish, and was to easy, in term of mechanics of the game. Guild wars was a little more in depth, and a bit harder to learn which kept noobs away which was good, i also loved the market system on Guild wars. there are some shops, but to get your items you have to find them, either out in the land or by someone selling it. It is kinda like a black market, you dont have this place where you can just put your items and have people bid/buy on them you have to stand there and sell your crap.

i loved it

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2qwik2katch
View Post

guild wars is lame

Irrelevant towards the thread, please leave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zensou
View Post

GW sucks.

Both of you really know how to make someone want to ignore your opinion completely don't you? Please leave...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaddenModer
View Post

GW is garbage, don't waste your life and talent on this sad piece of trash.

Maybe look to express your opinions about things some people respect and care about in a more respectful way in the future?

I will probably buy GW and my WoW timecard at the same time, I have 2 people I go to school with that I plan to play GW with, so that should increase the "funfactor"

Thanks to all for posting! (those who where helpful at least)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts