Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all,
so, threadripper 2 is announced, any info regarding coolermaster's wraith ripper cooler?
I know it has 7 heatpipes, but seeing that those heapipes are so crammed, I assume they are 8mm diameter.
Need more info on that.
It's a twin fin stack design with 120mm fan inbetween.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ive been looking into it too and after looking at this image, you can see the heat pipes are about the width of the three pin fan cable so 8mm should be right, however with fin density like this i think it will be more than enough to cool it, also imagine it to be load as balls with that ammount of tubulence

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
And the overall width of cooler finpack is about 110mm based on mounting pin/stud placement.

It was announced over 2 months ago and we still have no reviews testing it's performance. All we have is advertising hype and claims with no actual testing by independ sites of what it can really do. I'm betting a pint of your favorite it does not cool close to what current top tier air coolers do at similar noise levels .. or even old top tier coolers like Silver Arrow and NH-D14.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ofcourse it's worse, while stock. But with a few tiny and not so tiny mods it can be at least equal.
So a little bit of explanation:
It's the only twin fin stack tower cooler who has 7x 8mm heatpipes! Near competitors have only 5 such heatpipes. True spirit 140 has 6x 8mm heatpipes, but it's a single fin stack tower cooler = it's good at soaking up the heat, but limited at venting it.
Now 7x 8mm heatpipe design will be superior at soaking up the heat and twin fin stack superior at venting it. That's the theory...
So, the limitations: 120mm stock fan and ~110mm fin stack width.
Sollutions: remove all that RGB bling along with all those plastic covers, who block some portion of fins, change that 120mm fan to at least 1x proper 140mm fan for better fin array coverage, remove those super long mounting screws who span across whole fin stack and block some air flow.
So I think it has some interesting pottential, which i'm interested to explore.
I have found some informative photos:
it's not so tall after all, but dang, that rgb bling for noobs make it so much taller (look at mounting screws)
ram clearance
1st PCIe slot limitation

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
ofcourse it's worse, while stock. But with a few tiny and not so tiny mods it can be at least equal.
So a little bit of explanation:
It's the only twin fin stack tower cooler who has 7x 8mm heatpipes! Near competitors have only 5 such heatpipes. True spirit 140 has 6x 8mm heatpipes, but it's a single fin stack tower cooler = it's good at soaking up the heat, but limited at venting it.
Now 7x 8mm heatpipe design will be superior at soaking up the heat and twin fin stack superior at venting it. That's the theory...
So, the limitations: 120mm stock fan and ~110mm fin stack width.
Sollutions: remove all that RGB bling along with all those plastic covers, who block some portion of fins, change that 120mm fan to at least 1x proper 140mm fan for better fin array coverage, remove those super long mounting screws who span across whole fin stack and block some air flow.
So I think it has some interesting pottential, which i'm interested to explore.
I have found some informative photos:
it's not so tall after all, but dang, that rgb bling for noobs make it so much taller (look at mounting screws)
ram clearance
1st PCIe slot limitation
In an effort to determine heatpipe size I scaled your side view image using 25mm for fan thickness to get a scaling ratio to get an educated guess of heatpipe size .. it scales out to 5.98mm so I thing it is fair to say the heatpipes are probably 6mm (see attached image). Maximum number of 8mm heatpipes I know of in a cooler is 6x in TRUE Spirit 140 Power. PH-TC14PE has 5x 8mm and original Silver Arrow had 4x 8mm.

It's all guessing until we see some test results .. if we ever do. Cooler was announced over 2 months ago and nothing yet so we may never see any reviews.

For the sake of discussion I expect it to be very lound because of it's small finpack finpack area requiring extremely high cfm to transfer high wattage to air and out of case meaning extremely high performance fans on both cooler and case meaning system would end up having extremely high noise levels.

I don't think 140mm fan/s would improve cooling as well as using high performance 120mm fans .. and I'm guessing this thing will be quite expensive as well, so I don't think I would be interested .. but only time will tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no way it can be 7x 6mm heatpipes, with not exceptional fin stacks and 120mm fan, especially for 250W cpu... If it is, then gj to cooler master for creating illusion with such heatpipe cramming.

either way, yes, that 120mm fan should be loud, a lot of air sucking and pushing will have to be done, through the size limited fin stack.

hopefully we will know something more official about it soon...

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
no way it can be 7x 6mm heatpipes, with not exceptional fin stacks and 120mm fan, especially for 250W cpu... If it is, then gj to cooler master for creating illusion with such heatpipe cramming.

either way, yes, that 120mm fan should be loud, a lot of air sucking and pushing will have to be done, through the size limited fin stack.

hopefully we will know something more official about it soon...
Seems you have no sense of reality. Did you even look at the scaling I did on image you posted? Because it is rather obvious the heatpipe I scaled is not 8mm.

If you look around at coolers and their TDP spcification you will find 6mm heatpipes are rated approximately 40w TDP .. so 7 would be 280w TDP.

The bottom line here is this cooler is the bastard spawn of the devil and will scream like a Banchee on a Threadripper under heavy load .. and that is assuming it will even be able to keep up because unless the case it is being used in has fans supplying approx twice as much airflow as normal the cooler won't be have enough cool air and will be re-using it's own heated air with end result being it will perform like Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme and Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme with hi-performance 130cfm TY-143 fans did in normal case configurations; only slightly cooler than with TY-140/147/147A 74cfm 1300rpm fanned models because cooler was forced to re-used it's own heated exhaust when case fans were not matched to it's needs.

I'm betting you a pint of your favorite that this cooler will prove to be a waste of time and money.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,206 Posts
I'm betting you a pint of your favorite that this cooler will prove to be a waste of time and money.
Heck, I would add a steak to go with the pint on that bet.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
In regard to the pricing mentioned above, i read a news post somewhere (think it was techpowerup), stating this was designed by AMD but sold by CM (ie a collaboration), and expected to have an MSRP of $100 US.
You can google it yourselves, but i'm sure i got the price right.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,206 Posts
Hopefully this works out better than CM's last "collaboration", the horrificly bad Sapphire VaporX CPU cooler.

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts
Hopefully this works out better than CM's last "collaboration", the horrificly bad Sapphire VaporX CPU cooler.
Announced 2 months and not a single testing review or any real details does make one wonder.

Neither does it's $100 price suggested by Aenra .. and I believe him. These limited run 'collaborations' are often high priced.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Worse than i said actually.. 119 euro apparently. Are they insane? :)

https://www.techpowerup.com/246737/...wraith-ripper-for-2nd-generation-threadripper

Why.. who.. whatever.

I'm guessing some of the budget went into the advanced RGB functionality, complete with software, which yeah, well, anyway, looking besides that, I went looking for Cooler Master's TR4 cooler and found this one available for ~ 85 €. It does come with two fans instead of one (up to three can be mounted), but looking at the important part, it has 6 heatpipes vs 7 and while it does have direct heatpipe contact design, the way they did it means that each die is only partially covered by the copper pipes, the rest will be covered by the aluminium part. I'm assuming that the Wraith Ripper's plate that distributes the heat across the 7 heatpipes is made out of copper, so overall, one extra heatpipe + copper plate arrangement should be better.

As of late Ryzen CPUs used to be priced in parity with the US though, so I was expecting this to be 100 €, not 119 €, so there's that. Let's see how the CPUs are priced.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
I went looking for Cooler Master's TR4 cooler and found this one
Let's see how the CPUs are priced.
You really don't want to buy that cooler. As to the new one, i've two objections; one, we've not come to associate AMD with overpriced SKUs (9590 says hello, lol, but that was an exception and they soon lowered it), so am really not sure if a 120euro cooler in a market of 70-85 average is a good move for them; two, their Wraith coolers are excellent for stock clocks, office work, etc. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but i don't see this one falling into the 'excellent' category; not good when they've their name on it. But as you said, to be seen, i need to check the reviews when i get some more time.

The prices are very good, the 2950X is 779 euro, 48 euro per core. Will remind that initially, Jim Anderson had promised 50 per core :)

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
You really don't want to buy that cooler. As to the new one, i've two objections; one, we've not come to associate AMD with overpriced SKUs (9590 says hello, lol, but that was an exception and they soon lowered it), so am really not sure if a 120euro cooler in a market of 70-85 average is a good move for them; two, their Wraith coolers are excellent for stock clocks, office work, etc. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but i don't see this one falling into the 'excellent' category; not good when they've their name on it. But as you said, to be seen, i need to check the reviews when i get some more time.

The prices are very good, the 2950X is 779 euro, 48 euro per core. Will remind that initially, Jim Anderson had promised 50 per core :)

No, I don't lol. In fact I wouldn't buy either. The first one because of the drawbacks I mentioned and the Wraith Ripper because it's expensive and only comes with one fan, making it spin at 2k+ RPM, making it louder than desirable, even if temps are very good. I would rather spend the money on a cooler that has all of its budget spent on cooling features rather than RGB lighting and associated software, even more so considering that the 2990WX is a workstation oriented CPU. The 2950X is more of an all-round affair, but still, it's a niche product that doesn't really fit in with the RGB LED fashion in my opinion.

Then again, I'm not in the market for a new rig anyway.

·
Premium Member
27,124 Posts

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,206 Posts
You missed the "air guide armour" that is supposed to make it better.
Silly @doyll. The Air Guide Armour is merely a vehicle for the RGB. RGB is what improves the cooling, as we all know. ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts