Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Linksys WRT54G at a garage sale today for $10 (yay for bargain hunting!). It is Rev 2.2, and currently has firmware 4.20.7 installed. I've heard that these are great for firmware flashing, but have no idea what the process is to do so, what new firmware to load up on it, and what advantages would even be provided.

Help me out guys - what should I do with this thing?

·

29,532 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link. Can I flash it back if I don't like it?

EDIT: Also, I know nothing about flashing... but the tomato wiki should explain it?
EDIT2: Nevermind, just realized how easy it is.

·

29,532 Posts
I am quite sure you can yes (flash back that is), I'll take a look around and see if I can find anything on it

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Congrats on ur $10 purchase now flash that sucker with DD-WRT or Tomato and u just increased its value to 300%

I have the linksys with dd-wrt and been solid for over a year without a single drop and yes u can flash back.

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
Yes you can flash back to the earlier versions of dd-wrt or the linksys firmware.Just make sure to do this when your hardwired,wirelessly has a tendency to cause more problems/brick the router.BTW nice find.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
as long as you can hardwire into the router you can "unbrick" the router if your firmware flash fails. just requires you to dl a .bin file and program. linksys support can help you with that and walk you through reflashing back if youw ant.

·

29,532 Posts
DD-WRT overall has a lot more features than Tomato, but Tomato overall is solid with a no-nonsense style.

I personally prefer DD-WRT because it is Linux based

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonX View Post
DD-WRT overall has a lot more features than Tomato, but Tomato overall is solid with a no-nonsense style.

I personally prefer DD-WRT because it is Linux based

Aren't they both linux based?

Anyway, I'll give DD-WRT a try, since I hear it recommended more often than the other.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, new problem guys. I've downloaded DD-WRT "dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin", which I found by searching in the compatibility list for "wrt54g", and clicking on v2.2. I tried to update the firmware through the firmware update dialog on the administration page of the router. Now it comes back with a message, "Upgrade are failed!". I've also tried the mini and micro .bins with the same version number, same result. What's going on here?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured out that you have to do a hard reset before performing the firmware upgrade.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Quote:

WRT54G - What to do with it?

Sell it to me for $15, Paypal is ready

I've heard that tomato firmware have more bandwidth management options than DD-WRT, but DD-WRT is superior in the other areas

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol alawadhi, you'd love that wouldn't you.

Ok, I've successfully flashed to standard generic DD-WRT .24v. Yay! Question though: I can take the TX signal up to 251mW. Is this a good idea? Default is 70... should I move it from there?

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
I have one of these in a bin in my closet... been using a Buffalo Air Station for about a year or so. Why are the 54g's sought after? (or are they?)

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Woah.... WRT54G 2.2 is one of the best.

Broadcom
216MHz
16MB RAM (Some of these actually have 32MB RAM locked)
4GB Flash

Quote:

Originally Posted by grishkathefool
View Post

I have one of these in a bin in my closet... been using a Buffalo Air Station for about a year or so. Why are the 54g's sought after? (or are they?)

They are common and flashable. Buffalo routers are also considered awesome.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtSpike
View Post

Lol alawadhi, you'd love that wouldn't you.

Ok, I've successfully flashed to standard generic DD-WRT .24v. Yay! Question though: I can take the TX signal up to 251mW. Is this a good idea? Default is 70... should I move it from there?

The higher that number goes the more noise is introduced in the signal, along with extra heat created.

I have seen a router w/ dd-wrt watercooled before from that setting...

I wouldn't go past 80-90, my WRT300N is at 80 right now, and I don't have any troubles.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts