Overclock.net banner

[X-Bit] ATI CrossFire Technology remains Open

456 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  itslogz 
#1 ·
Source

Quote:

ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, said on Thursday that it remained committed to its open eco-system strategy with multi-GPU technology. In fact, every company, including Intel Corp., might get the ability to use the “ATI CrossFire†logotype to push their platforms, provided that they had passed a validation process.

“We remain committed to an open ATI CrossFire eco-system,†said Chris Hook, a spokesperson for AMD.

ATI CrossFire and ATI CrossFireX are multi-GPU technologies that allow several graphics processing units to work in team to double or even triple the speed of a single high-end graphics accelerator.

Intel Corp. is the arch-rival of AMD in the market of x86 central processing units (CPUs). Besides microprocessors, Intel competes against AMD with its chipsets featuring built-in graphics cores. Still, all current Intel chipsets that have two PCI Express controllers as well as future chipsets, such as Intel X48 and P45, that have reportedly passed the validation tests of AMD and can support ATI CrossFire or ATI CrossFireX multi graphics chip technology.

“We are constantly working with the third-party companies, including Intel,†said Godfrey Cheng, who is in charge of ATI CrossFire multi-GPU technology at AMD.

There's no license fee for ATI CrossFire technology, the company said.

ATI CrossFireX is an improved version ATI CrossFire multi-GPU technology that has features like 3-way, 4-way GPU rendering on a single monitor.

See less See more
#3 ·
From what I gather, it looks like they are saying that Crossfire can be run on any chipset.

This is VERY good for AMD/ATI, and for enthusiasts in general. If only nVidia did this, so we could always have the top-performing GPUs paired with the top-performing chipsets and CPUs.

#7 ·
Yea that's smart thinking AMD.....don't poke the angry bear with a stick......it just might slaughter you....

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by binormalkilla
View Post

Yea that's smart thinking AMD.....don't poke the angry bear with a stick......it just might slaughter you....

But poking is so much fun

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
But poking is so much fun

LAWL
I wouldn't mess with Intel if I was AMD.....Crossfire PWNs for scalability, and Intel PWNs for CPU performance......let's keep that in holy matrimony.
I would be SUPER pissed if they did Intel like NVidia did.....I guess AMD doesn't rely on chipset sales that much. Good thing too, or Intel chipsets would be single card only.....which means no Intel for me.

#10 ·
Come on ATI and intel. ATI needs to say bye to AMD and join up so they can both make the best of both worlds.

I guess thats why ATI is with AMD though... Better scalibilty with the crossfire, but slower performance with the amd, faster performance with the intel and crappier scaling with nvidia.

So uh. Come on lets have nvidia with amd and ati with intel huh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.