Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've had this 360 for a while and well. It's been through a lot. First, a towel fix, then, a penny fix (along with a towel fix to finish penny fix) and now. I finally have the hardware for my X-clamp fix. But, my penny fix (just performed yesterday) is still working. Also, a few of the 5mm nylon washers I bought aren't actually 5mm! They won't fit on their bolts, currently I only have 4 bots with 2 metal and 2 nylon washers. So I can only X-clamp 1 heatsink right now.

And on top of all this the bolts I ended up having to get where 2 mm longer then the ones called for! I live in rural Canada, we don't have a Lowes, it took me a week to gather all these parts (3 different stores including finding a damn T8 torx driver)

So here's the questions:

- Will I have an issue if I X-clamp my GPU now and my CPU later?
I'd assume this would force some more warping instead of stopping it.

- Can I keep the penny fix on?
This seems to be a good fix, and many claim it's permanent, so should I just not worry about putting the old sticky pads back on the mobo, and leave the penny's?

- My bolts are an extra 2mm long, will I have to machine the ends off? Or will I have any trouble at all?

- Is the penny fix actually permanent?
Basically I'm wondering if a high amount of people have not had this fix work for a long time, many youtube vids etc. claim it works and is still working, but you can never be too sure.

If many people agree that it be best for me to wait until I have the hardware called for, then of course I will. My purpose in asking about the X-clamp while already having the penny fix is just the fact that I don't want to have to deal with a RROD Xbox again, and sense these fixes aren't anywhere near as expensive as a new 360. I'd rather to cover all fronts.

Just a little extra info: The mobo in my 360 is a Zephyr (first revision with the heatpipe running from the GPU heatsink into an extra heatsink) I have a 12V fan mod going, and of course the penny fix.

Disclaimer: I will say now that I do not want posts of people making insults upon any choices I have made or choose to make upon this 360, I have had this before and do not wish to deal with it in this thread, if you do not wish to benefit the thread by posting, don't post.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullzaflare
View Post

ive never heard of the penny fix, but i have done the towel fix twice, and i bend the OG x clamp so it has more pressure

The penny fix is where you wrap 2 penny's in electrical tape, and replace the little sticky pads on the bottom of the Xbox's mobo with them, the copper inside is more heat conductive, and supports the mobo, either slowing or preventing the RROD from happening again.

A youtube search would yield some more info for anyone else who's not sure what the penny fix exactly is.

That's a clever solution you've got going on, how long has it lasted for you?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
i dont have much experience with the penny fix and the towel method is only temporary and can probably cause the 360 to get worse. ive done a few x clamp mods and from my experience, if the bolt is too long then you can either cut the bolt a bit OR drill a bigger hole on shell that the mobo rests on.if your bolt is too long, the mb will have to bend when reattaching the long screws.

i know what a pain 360s are. my original one had 12v fan mod with switch, x clamped and still died on me.

hope this helps and your 360 lives to die another day

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazin-asian View Post
i dont have much experience with the penny fix and the towel method is only temporary and can probably cause the 360 to get worse. ive done a few x clamp mods and from my experience, if the bolt is too long then you can either cut the bolt a bit OR drill a bigger hole on shell that the mobo rests on.if your bolt is too long, the mb will have to bend when reattaching the long screws.

i know what a pain 360s are. my original one had 12v fan mod with switch, x clamped and still died on me.

hope this helps and your 360 lives to die another day

Yeah, most 360's that get X-clamped are the first gens, the really RROD prone ones, mine's the first attempt by microsoft to fix it, that's where my hope is in that it lasts longer.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
It doesn't matter if the bolts are too long for the CPU heatsink. The GPU heatsink would need the fin that goes over the bolt hole drilled out so the extra length of the bolt can go up further without being stopped.

If the penny fix is working fine, then leave it. I also highly recomend buying a roll of alluminum or copper tape to cover the top of the heatsinks and have it onto the fan shroud a little bit to make sure that the fan is pulling through as much air as possible. Most people use cardboard and electrical tape, I tried both and alluminum tape worked better because it doesn't insolate the heat.

Yet another thing that I find makes the xclamp fix last the longest is to clean off both chips and put the heatsinks back on without thermal paste. This will allow it to heat up better, after 20 minutes or whenever the Xbox 360 automatically shut's off take the heatsinks off and apply thermal paste. After you have the heatsinks on with thermal paste overheat it yet again then let it cool off.

My final step was to buy another Xbox 360 after being banned.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by CryWin
View Post

It doesn't matter if the bolts are too long for the CPU heatsink. The GPU heatsink would need the fin that goes over the bolt hole drilled out so the extra length of the bolt can go up further without being stopped.

If the penny fix is working fine, then leave it. I also highly recomend buying a roll of alluminum or copper tape to cover the top of the heatsinks and have it onto the fan shroud a little bit to make sure that the fan is pulling through as much air as possible. Most people use cardboard and electrical tape, I tried both and alluminum tape worked better because it doesn't insolate the heat.

Yet another thing that I find makes the xclamp fix last the longest is to clean off both chips and put the heatsinks back on without thermal paste. This will allow it to heat up better, after 20 minutes or whenever the Xbox 360 automatically shut's off take the heatsinks off and apply thermal paste. After you have the heatsinks on with thermal paste overheat it yet again then let it cool off.

My final step was to buy another Xbox 360 after being banned.

Heh, did the fix a while ago, forgot the thread. But this is useful info and for that. I REP+ you

aside from that. The penny fix died later that day, I already had some aluminum foil on the GPU Heatsink part of the shroud (saw that on another site). I removed the penny fix, then performed the X-clamp fix. The 360 has been updated to the 2008 dashboard and is still going strong and Xbox live enabled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts