Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as of today i received my new mobo dfi ultra-d and g.skills ram but no seasonic psu. me being eager to find out if my opteron was fried due to msi ne sli/pla crashing after running 3dmark06, i decided to go ahead and try everything with my x-connect psu. and it works and something that i noticed after running occt attached is a graph of v-core flux at stock settings, its way too early to give out a verdict however, i dont remember seeing such a straight line with this psu on my old msi mobo..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
Well, What was the manufacture date on the X-Connect? Or, When did you buy it?

Because I can tell you RIGHT NOW, Almost EVERY X-Connect that was made after March 2005 was pure crap. Every one of them built BEFORE then, Was the pure shiznit, Performing amazingly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

Well, What was the manufacture date on the X-Connect? Or, When did you buy it?

Because I can tell you RIGHT NOW, Almost EVERY X-Connect that was made after March 2005 was pure crap. Every one of them built BEFORE then, Was the pure shiznit, Performing amazingly.

I bought this last year i believe around july or august, prior to the march build i have been hearing how crappy x-connect is how it blows up in some cases got 2 x connect 1 was purchased in 2003 and hasnt blown up yet. like i said its early to judge this psu once i get done RTFM on this mobo i will start crancking it up and then run the voltage test again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Doesn't the X-connects have 20-pins ATX connectors, and your mobo requires 24-pin power supply, how do you get by with this combination?.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
How does it serve you?, I'm assembling a very similar rig to yours, I'll launch as soon as I'll get my X-connect 500W(Already on it's way), and my Opterown.
Some members complaint that the converter is crap and is not any better then leaving then extra 4 pins blank.
How are your voltages doing(particularly Vcore)?. you haven't ran into bottleneck overclocking your Opty haven't you?.
I might use a 520W 24-pin PSU with high amperage on the +3.3V and +5V rails in a dual-PSU setup...
I have read that the DFI motherboards are very picky about X-connect PSUs, The attached graph seems unbelievable, Unless it is indeed early-manufactured one, as Shawn said(I Wasn't aware of any exceptions with X-connects and DFi combinations... thought those was improbable to boot into OS together), Good luck!.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
658 Posts
Ok not to rain on your parade but the core voltage is regulated but MOSFETs on the motherboard not throught the power supply. Your graph is just saying that that motherboard has very little core voltage ripple. If you want to test your power supply, record the 12, 5 and 3.3 volt rails during different stages of core load. It would also help if you were to somehow utilize the harddrives or optical drive during some stages to attempt to put more load on your PSU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Marshall82

Ok not to rain on your parade but the core voltage is regulated but MOSFETs on the motherboard not throught the power supply. Your graph is just saying that that motherboard has very little core voltage ripple. If you want to test your power supply, record the 12, 5 and 3.3 volt rails during different stages of core load. It would also help if you were to somehow utilize the harddrives or optical drive during some stages to attempt to put more load on your PSU.

U are abosultely right vcore voltages are controlled by mosfet and the attached graph shows if theres any ripple, however what i was trying to point out was people bashing out ultra for its power fluctuation, this graph will tell u the x-connect has enough power to have constant surge to ur vcore and the fluctuation on the vcore is caused by mosfet or voltage control on ur mobo.. attached is a graph of my 12v and 3 volt u see alot of ripple but it maintains its suggested voltage.. Hellgy if u have a dfi mobo i suggest getting a different psu 1st reason would be theres a capacitor where the 4pin atx is, having a fat 4 pin connector will be a tight squeeze to plug it in. 2nd reason if u are getting the x connect for 90 bucks there are better psu out in the market if u just add 20 bucks or so..

attached 5volt too


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,994 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

Well, What was the manufacture date on the X-Connect? Or, When did you buy it?

Because I can tell you RIGHT NOW, Almost EVERY X-Connect that was made after March 2005 was pure crap. Every one of them built BEFORE then, Was the pure shiznit, Performing amazingly.

How can you tell when it's manufactured? I have one thats doing fine just wondering how that works...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
658 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by shortfuse

U are abosultely right vcore voltages are controlled by mosfet and the attached graph shows if theres any ripple, however what i was trying to point out was people bashing out ultra for its power fluctuation, this graph will tell u the x-connect has enough power to have constant surge to ur vcore and the fluctuation on the vcore is caused by mosfet or voltage control on ur mobo.. attached is a graph of my 12v and 3 volt u see alot of ripple but it maintains its suggested voltage.. Hellgy if u have a dfi mobo i suggest getting a different psu 1st reason would be theres a capacitor where the 4pin atx is, having a fat 4 pin connector will be a tight squeeze to plug it in. 2nd reason if u are getting the x connect for 90 bucks there are better psu out in the market if u just add 20 bucks or so..

attached 5volt too

Looks like its very good, the biggest thing I would worry about is the 3.3 as that is what powers your processor and it looks as rocksolid under load as some of the better PSU's out there. Just to let you know your 5 volt graph isnt showing, you might have forgot to put a top voltage marker as all the lines represent "5". Nice graphs though, really nice PSU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
finally got my opteron to oc and increased the voltage to 1.53v so far the graph would explain itself and if u look at it the voltages never went down to its suggested volts..



 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top