Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, now how noticable is the difference between onboard audio and an x-fi? Will it be an amazing difference or will it just be one of those, "hey it sounds a little better I guess" kinda things. I need convincing
Also, the x-fi needs a power connector right?

BTW, the only difference between this x-fi and the others is the lack of front ports and x-ram right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102188

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Depends on your speakers/headphones. On some(great quality speakers/headphones) the quality would improve very much while on others(cheap speakers/headphones) the improvement is minimal. One of the features that you probably want is the Xram though. On some games that can improve the performance.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Mumbles

OK, now how noticable is the difference between onboard audio and an x-fi? Will it be an amazing difference or will it just be one of those, "hey it sounds a little better I guess" kinda things. I need convincing

BTW, the only difference between this x-fi and the others is the lack of front ports and x-ram right?

Yes the diff is the xram and front audio bay. Not only will it sound ten times better than onboard itll free up some resources your cpu is using and give you better fps. Trust me it will be an amazing difference
Not sure about the power connector though
^^^What kind of speakers are you using?

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See, Memory is not really an issue for me right now, I got 2 gigs
, I'm mostly wondering about the improvment in sound quality, and some say, even with cheaper speakers, they sound much better.

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

No extra power connector that I remember. (I'm at work)

The difference between the two is great.

Wouldn't that be where the power conector goes?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well i've been using onboard for about a year now and picked up an X-fi. It does sound better when using my senn. HD 580 headsets. When using some of my cheap headsets and my altec lansing ATP3, the gain in SQ wasnt anything to brag about. so UNLESS you got a nice set of speakers or headsets, then it's worth it. So if you get it, it might be a good idea to invest in a nice set of headphones or speaker set.

Also, i'd recommend the Xtrememusic. its cheaper than the others and not even that many games use the Xram on the higher model. And also i dont even know if the price difference can justify the performance gain (if any) you get from the Xram.

I mean your system with 7800gt should be able handle most games with no issues.

I think you do need a power adapter, i needed it for my x-fi platinum but it went into my front unit. Not sure on the extreme music.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I recently upgraded my SB Audigy 2 to an X-Fi Platinum...it's a HUGE difference in sound quality. Surround sound in games feels so much more significant. Music feels so much more alive than before. I would highly recommend it.

I can only imagine the difference between onboard and the X-Fi, if the Audigy 2 pales in comparison.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I recently upgraded from onboard to the X-Fi Xtreme Music and I've seen quite a difference on my Logitech Z-680 5.1 system. Those are pretty good speakers though - so I wouldn't know about cheap speaker quality. The Xtreme Music does not require a power connector, and I believe the pin header circled in the photo above is for digital audio from CD-ROM.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Big difference in mp3 playback. And much nicer 3d surround using headphones while gaming.

Biggest + for me would be using the SVM option during bf2. you can hear people sneaking up from far away. Makes it really easy to pinpoint players even during loud firefights. Deffinitly an upper hand. But CS:S sounds a little funny, and fear doesnt utilize the 3d option correctly, but those should be fixed with new drivers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:

Hey i have Logitech® X-530 5.1 surround sound speaker setup and was wondering if I would be able to notice a big difference in the sound quality on the xi fi music compared to my onboard sound card.

Anyones help will be greatly appreciated as I'm considering buying the xi fi really soon and would not want to waste my money...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kritho
Hey i have Logitech® X-530 5.1 surround sound speaker setup and was wondering if I would be able to notice a big difference in the sound quality on the xi fi music compared to my onboard sound card.

Anyones help will be greatly appreciated as I'm considering buying the xi fi really soon and would not want to waste my money...

I had those speakers before I got my Z-5300e and there was a HUGE improvement from my old SB2. Especially if you have BF2, because now you can set the sound quality to ultra high. Also, I have the Xtreme Music and it does need a power adapter.

·
Banned
658 Posts
All you need is the XtremeMusic but yeah go for it, it sounds alot better and the control panels allow you a ton of features to tweak it. The music doesnt need a power adapter but it has one if you use the front panel connector bay.

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopin_Nuts
I had those speakers before I got my Z-5300e and there was a HUGE improvement from my old SB2. Especially if you have BF2, because now you can set the sound quality to ultra high. Also, I have the Xtreme Music and it does need a power adapter.
It does or doesn't?

·
Banned
658 Posts
Quote:

It does or doesn't?
The XtremeMusic has it but it DOESNT need it. Its for the front bay panel on the X-Fi Platinum edition, they both use the same card, no x-ram.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Quote:

Wouldn't that be where the power conector goes?

heh... no, thats just a litle fuse type thingy

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I just installed the X-Fi ExtremeMusic. I love it. I thought my onboard sounded fine, but now I hear bass tones that I never had before. It's really clear all through the spectrum. I think the biggest thing I've noticed though is that MP3's that sounded sketchy, like with compression artifacts and bad sampling, sound much better. You can fix a bad file but the Crystalizer helped them out alot. The surround sound reproduction is also too cool.

And no, there are no auxillary power connections. I'd recomend it, especially if you find a deal. Mine was $99 at best buy.

Clarification: the auxillary power connection is only used if you are connecting the I/O console. As a stand alone card, it is not used.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
I just installed mine today. I was sceptical as to whether I would notice a diferance. "Its only sound, how good can it get?" I thought. How wrong I was. It is great! Music sounds so much better! Before with my Audigy 2 ZS, the soround sound was washed out by the front speaks, but with the X-Fi it feals like I am listening to music live!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes does have power connector, the trouble i had with mine forget to plug in the little 4pin molex and most time games would crash, and even teamspeak crashed the pc!

Does the X-Fi extreme not have heatsink?? My Fatal1ty does!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts