Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,931 Posts
It depends on the video card or video cards you may have and whether they are overclocked. Yes, the 3930K can pull up to 275W from the PSU when heavily overclocked, but it still depends on what you have for a video card or for video cards.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeg View Post

Was actually thinking about this image...

Suddenly @ 4.7 it jumps to 538 watts!

...and I'll easily be going past 4.7
No, it was 525W. Besides, that is the power consumption of the entire system as measured from the wall outlet. This means that the PSU itself is pulling 525W from the wall outlet with the 3930K under full load and overclocked to 4.7 GHz. The CPU is not pulling 525W. It's pulling a little more than I thought it would, but still: it's not 525W.

Let's break it down:

While idling with the 3930K overclocked, their PSU pulled 200W from the wall outlet. When putting full load on the 3930K, the PSU began pulling 525W from the wall outlet. This is a difference of 325W which looks like it means that the CPU was pulling 325W, but really it was pulling about 290W. I'll explain:

If the PSU is 90% efficient while pulling 200W from the wall outlet, then the computer is pulling 180W from the PSU. If the PSU is 90% efficient while pulling 525W from the wall outlet, then the computer is pulling about 472W from the PSU. So, the difference is exactly 292W, which means the CPU is likely pulling 292W from the PSU while under full load and overclocked to 4.7 GHz (at least with the core voltage that they used in order to achieve that, which was probably higher than it needed to be).

So, again: what do you have for a video card or for video cards? Even if you had two 7970s in crossfire, your gaming power consumption would only be about 650-750W.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm running a 3930k at 4.8ghz, 2 GTX670s over volted, 18 fans, 2 hds and lighting off of a 850W. Never had a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts