Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,188 Posts
you wont notice any perf loss running 8x 8x its like 1-2% perf loss with a 5xxx series.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,112 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by noobclocker1277
View Post

i would probly be running 2 x 4850's

I'm not sure that a 4850 would saturate a x4 lane because of the fact that a 5870 only begins to have a performance drop in between x2 and x8, and its quite a bit more power demanding. Although, testing it would be a good idea
.

If what I think is correct, you should be looking at the same performance as 2x4850s in x16/x16.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
I can remember seeing many banchmarks where a noticeable drop in performance was only seen at the x4 level and beyond.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am asking because i am looking at the mobo in the link at the top which is about £55. to get a mobo with 8x 8x i would need to spend over £100 so just seeing if i would see any great difference if i send the extra
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,112 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by noobclocker1277
View Post

i am asking because i am looking at the mobo in the link at the top which is about £55. to get a mobo with 8x 8x i would need to spend over £100 so just seeing if i would see any great difference if i send the extra

My personal thoughts are that you'd be just fine.

If you decide to follow what i'm saying and things turn out for the worse, then you can sell your 2 4850s here/elsewhere and then pick up a better GPU and just take full advantage of the x16 lane.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,373 Posts
at least w/ a 5870 it's not too much of an issue: http://techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/H...caling/25.html

I really wouldn't recommend going w/ the board you have picked, but that's just me. ASrock isn't known for their product quality, and often the board w/ all the nifty unique extra feature have issues. Might be as little as VERY limited OCing, to compatibility issues or glitchy bioses. That's just my feelings on that anyway.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
at least w/ a 5870 it's not too much of an issue: http://techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/H...caling/25.html

I really wouldn't reccomend going w/ the board you have picked, but that's just me. ASrock isn't known for their product quality, and often the board w/ all the nifty unique extra feature have issues. Might be as little as VERY limited OCing, to compatibility issues or glitchy bioses. That's just my feelings on that anyway.
lol I already posted that lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this upgrade will only last me till end of year so i don't want to spend more than i have too. thats why i am doing it this way. plus i guess i could sell them both if it don't work
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSlayer View Post
lol I already posted that lol.
Sorry about that. I hate it when people do that to me, so have a rep. plus, it's a very useful link.

There is one thing to note however. IIRC the P35 chipset uses PCIe 1.1, which is half the theoretical bandwidth of PCIe 2.0. so 1.1 x16=x8 pcie2.0, theoretically anyway.

So 4x pcie 1.1 may well have a noticeable performance impact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Sorry about that. I hate it when people do that to me, so have a rep. plus, it's a very useful link.

There is one thing to note however. IIRC the P35 chipset uses PCIe 1.1, which is half the theoretical bandwidth of PCIe 2.0. so 1.1 x16=x8 pcie2.0, theoretically anyway.

So 4x pcie 1.1 may well have a noticeable performance impact.
:'( you guys just don't want me to be happy do you? lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobclocker1277 View Post
:'( you guys just don't want me to be happy do you? lol
Quite the opposite. Would you rather have us feed you false info and find out later that you could be getting much better performance if you had gotten a different board?

I really don't know what mobo prices are like in the UK, but here at least for awhile newegg had a foxconn P45 mobo on for around $70 USD, was quite a high end mobo for the money. The only complaint I could find in reviews was that it was too expensive when it was originally released.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Quite the opposite. Would you rather have us feed you false info and find out later that you could be getting much better performance if you had gotten a different board?
i put lol at the end. i was only joking, i post my questions here because i know i will get honest answers, and i thank you all for that

also could you post alink to that mobo for me?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,373 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that is a good mobo but it dosen't support ddr3 which is kind of a must as i don't want to have to buy more ram just yet
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobclocker1277 View Post
that is a good mobo but it dosen't support ddr3 which is kind of a must as i don't want to have to buy more ram just yet


I didn't even pay attention to that. My apologies.

I assumed that since you had an LGA775 chip that you were still on DDR2. Figured you were looking @ the ASrock for "future proof-ness"

Yeah... my mind wasn't there at all. sorry 'bout that. lol.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top