Overclock.net banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,218 Posts
Hmm i wonder if i can work out a trade with a buddy my 7900gs for his x1900 all in wonder to fold with that. My voltmodded 7900gs can run games better then his x1900 im sure he might go for it, but gota wait till i get my 8800gt.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mebby View Post
I dunno how it would work for my temps either.

Only my CPU is watercooled.

Last time I used it, my GPU was going at about 55c, unless it wasnt working right but I was getting the WU's out lol so I guess so.

·
Premium Member
18,218 Posts
Will a x1900aiw generate more points then say a e6600 clocked at 3.2ghz running smp.

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
From what I've heard, X1900XT's are good for about 300 points a work unit, and maybe 2.5 work units a day. My 2160 at 2.9ghz brings in about 610ppd.

I would assume the E6600 would be much more effective.

·
Premium Member
18,218 Posts
Ah thats all the x1900s do my [email protected] does about 1.5 to 2 1760 units a day so i avg around 2000ppd a day.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Quote:
Ah thats all the x1900s do my [email protected] does about 1.5 to 2 1760 units a day so i avg around 2000ppd a day.
..for now..but wait until you get some bigger WU's...your PPD average will drop some.

As for the GPU's..they are very consistent folders, as most all of the WU's are relatively the same sizes...my X1950pro at sig'd OC is folding around 1.6sec/frame and averaging 1, ~300point WU about every 10hrs.

So, while they do not provide the 'horsepower' to fold larger WU's...they are screamin fast, and sure to bring a steady increase to any farm...like mine!

just added 2x 850mhz PIII's and a Q6600 to the farm..11cores folding currently.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
..for now..but wait until you get some bigger WU's...your PPD average will drop some.

As for the GPU's..they are very consistent folders, as most all of the WU's are relatively the same sizes...my X1950pro at sig'd OC is folding around 1.6sec/frame and averaging 1, ~300point WU about every 10hrs.

So, while they do not provide the 'horsepower' to fold larger WU's...they are screamin fast, and sure to bring a steady increase to any farm...like mine!

just added 2x 850mhz PIII's and a Q6600 to the farm..11cores folding currently.
I noticed that your x1950pro is water-cooled, but how did you get the GPU up to 650MHz? I can run my memory just fine at 750MHz. But on the GPU, above about 627MHz, I get artifacting and the VPU-recover kicks in--did you volt-mod it, or up the vcore with something like ATI Tray Tools? I'm interested in folding now, and figure I might as well let my x1950pro have a go at it...

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
yes, i v'modd the gpu to ~1.38v..good at its current temp, for ~650-660mhz. I also have a side fan in-case, that blows almost directly on the VRM's...the very hot part of the card. Cooling here can help after the vmod, for extra speed and stable voltage.

*a pencil was all that is needed for Sapphire rev2 PCB's....plus 700mhz is do-able, but requires the VRM's to be actively cooled.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
yes, i v'modd the gpu to ~1.38v..good at its current temp, for ~650-660mhz. I also have a side fan in-case, that blows almost directly on the VRM's...the very hot part of the card. Cooling here can help after the vmod, for extra speed and stable voltage.

*a pencil was all that is needed for Sapphire rev2 PCB's....plus 700mhz is do-able, but requires the VRM's to be actively cooled.
Thanks for the info--been debating whether to get a new HSF/OC my Pro before I take the plunge for a 3870. Perhaps after I get my 3870, I'll play with the pro a bit. Thanks again!

·
Registered
805 Posts
OK. I have the computer listed in sig. I was interested in folding, but couldn't figure out how to set it up. I also am going to a 3850 soon. Will that hinder anything? Someone let me know how to get my folding going and I will. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by michinmuri View Post
OK. I have the computer listed in sig. I was interested in folding, but couldn't figure out how to set it up. I also am going to a 3850 soon. Will that hinder anything? Someone let me know how to get my folding going and I will. Thanks.
If you are thinking of using a 3850 to fold, forget it. Unfortunately the latest ATI supported cards are the X1900 series, but soon they will be able to code the 3800 series soon too.

If you want to fold with your Cpu, I suggest you to have a look at [email protected] Download Page. The program that will allow you to get the highest scores, is the SMP client, but that one is made up for quad cpu's and will put a high load on your cpu, but still you can try it, otherwise go for the 5.04 text only console.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ah, I didn't understand you were using the GPU only to fold. I have the dual core, so go with the 5.04??

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yes give it a shot. If I was you I would also try the SMP client which takes longer time to complete the WorkUnits but achieves better scores than the standard 5.04 because squeezes your cpu at 100%;

there's a program that actually monitors your folding, e.g. tells you how much time it needs to get the wu done and how manypoints you are going to get by getting the wu done, it's called [email protected] monitor, try it and compare the SMP score with the 5.04.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Your almost at 3ghz..your cpu should be able to churn out a SMP WU no problem. Even if it takes a bit longer..the points will make up for.

ie- with 9 cpu's folding standard 5.04 clients... my farm averages ~1800 ppd
with 7 cpu's folding 5.04 and 2 folding the SMP client, the same farm averages ~5k ppd

21 - 36 of 36 Posts