Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Sapphire X1600PRO AGP card, and have noticed it runs CS:S just slightly better then my Sapphire Radeon 9500. I get maybe +10 frames per second. I personally don't see how it is possible, considering every single number on the X1600 is much higher then the 9500.

I did notice one thing however, when I installed the newest ATiTool and went to settings, it said "4 Active Pipelines". I don't know about you, but I was under the impression that number should be 12.

I have concluded that if ATiTool is working as it should, and reading the card correctly, the only reason the card is lacking real performance is because of 8 potentially locked pipelines. Seriousy... this card should be able to handle CS:S in 800x600 at somthing better then 50fps.

Other specs incase they matter:
Intel Pentium 4 531 W/ EM64T enabled 3.0/800/1024
ASRock 755V88+ mobo
2x512 Corsair Valueselect PC3200 in DDR400 (4gb/s says SiSandra)
Sapphire Radeon X1600PRO 256Mb AGP8x
A~Power 450Watt PSU

Need feedback...how can I unlock the 8 inactive pipes? Or what program can give me a second opinion on how many are open incase atitool is glitched

Thanks, Mr_Me_II

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how to upload a screenshot, but I have that version + a screenshot of the settings window upen, showing the 3d view getting 145fps(eww), and the "4 active pipes"

Thanks for the fast reply

·
I TeK things...
17,427 Posts
do you have ver .25? oh yeah update your system specs in your usercp

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Me_II

I don't know how to upload a screenshot, but I have that version + a screenshot of the settings window upen, showing the 3d view getting 145fps(eww), and the "4 active pipes"

Thanks for the fast reply

Thats not an ew. I got a x800pro that was overclocked to XTPE and it got like 220 fps on the latest ati tool. Mostly due to temporal anti liasing but still thats a good score. My 9600used to get like 30.

Don't try to flash it to 12 pipes because then warranty gone if you can't flash it back. Might as well RMA.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The card was bought new on eBay so I can't return it anyway. How could I go about bois flashing? Where can I find a bois for this card or whatever I would need?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Sorry, Post this up under the title help me flash my x1600XT. But make sure you have the latest ati tool!!! The older ones do NOT support that card and even the most recent have slight difficulties with it. You basically download a program and flash it? I personally haven't had to do it because my card's locked anywhoo.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. That sucks, because I paid 180 dollars for somthing that works about the same as a 50 dollar card...but oh well, whats money right?

Thanks for the help, I suppose I'll just slap on a VGA cooler and clock it as high as possible.

PS: I have ATiTool .25 Beta 12, from MajorGeeks.com

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
yea i just had that card yesterday(pci-e though), but to make a long story short, my x800xl outperformed it in every game and application i have. i only got a whopping 75fps in atitool, and yes it was the newest version. it also showed only 4 active pipelines. by any chance, did your card make the monitor flicker on 1024x768?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
o yea and my pc specs.

amd athlon 64 3500+ venice
1gb ddr400 corsair ram
450w psu
pci-e

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Ok. That sucks, because I paid 180 dollars for somthing that works about the same as a 50 dollar card...but oh well, whats money right?

Thanks for the help, I suppose I'll just slap on a VGA cooler and clock it as high as possible.

You do know that you can check out how many active pipelines there actually are, and unlock unsed ones (to 12/5, if you aren't already running it at that) with rivatuner.

·
Banned
5,423 Posts
It has 12 pipes but the 128bit memory bus chokes it. Thats why the X800GTO beats it with lower clocks cause it has a 256bit memory bus.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elementskater706

yea i just had that card yesterday(pci-e though), but to make a long story short, my x800xl outperformed it in every game and application i have. i only got a whopping 75fps in atitool, and yes it was the newest version. it also showed only 4 active pipelines. by any chance, did your card make the monitor flicker on 1024x768?

That is just your refresh rate, installing a new card lowers it back to default. You fix that in the display settings, under monitor refresh rate. Set it to whatever the max your monitor can handle at the current resoloution. **REMEBER** Make sure to check the box that says "only display resoloutions my monitor can display" box.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
but when i put my x800xl back in, i got like 180-200fps.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only 75fps? Mine somtimes avarages 100, somtimes 190's, depends on how the card feels I guess. Oddly enough it runs games and applications better with higher settings...like AA4x runs faster then no AA, and wait for vert sync is faster then not waiting...

very odd card indeed.

I will look into 'rivatuner' thanks

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2

You do know that you can check out how many active pipelines there actually are, and unlock unsed ones (to 12/5, if you aren't already running it at that) with rivatuner.

that only works for nvidia

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:

cool, just get ti from here, the official atitool site
w1zzard is a good guy

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts