Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my x1900gt and im having a prob with my fps in bf2142.with the settings on med/low i only get a max of 70 fps and it dips down to 20fps all the time! it must do better than tis!?!?! and when i turn on the ati tool 250 fps.is that good? do i have a falty card??

Thx Pete

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
did you uninstall the previous drivers? If not you must do so before installing a new card, this can cause the problems you are having........google for drivercleaner pro........it might be found on this site somewhere

·
Registered
883 Posts
Your Pentium 4 may be bottlenecking your video card, battlefield 1942 is fairly cpu intensive,

and 250fps is pretty bad.... Do you have CCC forcing AA and AF, maybe vsync on?

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
His CPU could not be bottlenecking it that bad. I have almost the same setup and get at least 40fps at 1600x1200 with all high settings.

My guess would be that turning UP the settings would actually offload computations onto the graphics card, and hopefully aleviate some of the intensity on the processor.

I would run a battery of benchmarks from Memory bandwidth tests, to CPU tests to 3d06 (for GPU) and 3d03 (for CPU test) and see waht numbers you get. Maybe we can narrow it down to one system.

·

29,532 Posts
I find that ATiTool FPS rather low.
Mine's at about 240 FPS, so yours should be way higher.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so hears an update.i installed cat 6.7 and now my frames in the ati tool are like 600'ish,but my frame rate in bf2142 did not change! It also seems like the lower the setting the worse it gets!?!?!?

as for my cpu,3.4 is that bad? i just got it 4 months ago.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
No the psu is not the problem. The CPU is. It's not 1942 either. He's playing 2142. I pretty sure its s driver problem. Get the Catalyst 6.5 drivers but forst get Drivercleaner and clean all the Ati drivers twice at least. Then load the new ones.

·
Registered
699 Posts
have you tryed defragging your harddrive after you intalled BF2142? maybe your game files are out of order causing you to loose performance.

also try showing us some benchmarks from your CPU/RAM and video card.

download and run 3dmark 06 and tell us what all your seperate scores are

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Defragging the hard drive won't change FPS, merely the loading times will decrease.

I'm starting to think it is definately either:

a) CPU bottleneck
b) Drivers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im downloadin 3dmark06 now but im leaving for vacation in 12 hours so i dont think ill be able to give u any infomation now. and as for my specs what do u need to know? and i did do a defrag with no help,and i used driver cleaner and a registry cleaner list time i changed drivers. How can my cpu be bottlenecking me? i didnt think it was that bad?

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by echospeed88

im downloadin 3dmark06 now but im leaving for vacation in 12 hours so i dont think ill be able to give u any infomation now. and as for my specs what do u need to know? and i did do a defrag with no help,and i used driver cleaner and a registry cleaner list time i changed drivers. How can my cpu be bottlenecking me? i didnt think it was that bad?

My cpu at stock speeds is about equal to yours, and I'm not running much of an overclock, so I would say you are fine there. Although your CPU IS the bottleneck when/if you overclock the X1900GT.

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
Every cpu will bottleneck a card like that, but not to that extreme. It's not the cpu, somethings upwith his drivers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have tried omaga and ati's drivers menny times all with the same result.but i didnt try 6.5 like was said before.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Actually his PSU could be causing the problem. If the card is not getting enough power it will scale back its speeds drastically in order to keep running.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaziel

Actually his PSU could be causing the problem. If the card is not getting enough power it will scale back its speeds drastically in order to keep running.

It would more likely just crash/restart. We won't know until he posts more of his specs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts