Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of building a WC'd setup for my PC- and I had a question about GPU versus RAM temps.

Most GPU WC solutions cool only the GPU and not the RAM. This confuses me, but for the moment we'll let it slide. Given this, I am told to attach ramsinks to the card's RAM. Fair'nuff- but what is the temp difference, and is there a real "need" to cool the RAM on the card with water versus air? Within my case there isn't a powerful amount of airflow that far down... Do I need to go with a complete water solution or will a Maze4 + ramsinks work just fine?

Devman

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devman

I am currently in the process of building a WC'd setup for my PC- and I had a question about GPU versus RAM temps.

Most GPU WC solutions cool only the GPU and not the RAM. This confuses me, but for the moment we'll let it slide. Given this, I am told to attach ramsinks to the card's RAM. Fair'nuff- but what is the temp difference, and is there a real "need" to cool the RAM on the card with water versus air? Within my case there isn't a powerful amount of airflow that far down... Do I need to go with a complete water solution or will a Maze4 + ramsinks work just fine?

Devman

A Maze4 + some OCZ copper RAMsinks will work as good as, if not better than a block that cools the GPU and RAM. I think the whole 2 - in - waterblock thing is just for aesthetics IMO.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 13 3 @ 7 l 3 13 0 y

i put ramsinks on my X850, and after some COD2ing, i felt them, they were still cool!
what gives?

Aluminum ones do that, what material are they?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts