Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get a new card for Christmas, and can't decide betwwen these two cards. The X1950 Pro seems to offer better stock performance, but the 7900 GS overclocks much better. I could probably stretch to a X1950 XT or 7950 GT, but my monitor only supports 1440 by 900, and I intend to upgrade to Vista and DX10 sometime next year, so is the extra performance (and money) worth it? ATM I mainly play BF2, but would like to be able to play Company of Heros and Quake Wars at max detail. All help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i prefer ATI and they are very close. the 7900gs does oc to a little past the x1950pro but if the pro can oc a bit you are still pretty close. i say go ati but in all honesty at the price (150's after mir) you cant really go wrong with the gs.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I would go with the 7900GS mainly because it is cheaper and a really good overclocker. If you get a really good one or do a voltage modification that card will easily exceed the performance of a x1950pro.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm swaying slightly towards the 7900 GS, but which brand should I go for? I like the sound of EVGA's trade up scheme, what does everyone else think?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Go for the cheapest one, since they are all the same. That is, unless you want a pre-overclocked card or special warranties/trades.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Actually the XFX extreme edition is the the best card out of all of them since it has a different PCB. They are monster overclockers but slightly more expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
May have a great core but the Pro does not have GDDR4... And the x1950Pro beats the GS in all benchies minus OpenGL.

pink

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
At stock speeds it does come out on top but the 7900GS is a very good overclocker which is where it can close the gap and often surpass a x1950pro.

·
Old ain't dead
2,779 Posts
Thats a very good one, I use the same one.

• Rep+
Reactions: h0rn3t_0n3

·
Old ain't dead
2,779 Posts
I got mine to 700/1700 on stock cooling, I just got my vf900 fan in today, so now I will achieve even higher.

·
I TeK things...
17,433 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o
View Post

I say get the 7900GS.

nuff said....

That sold the deal for me!!!

·
Old ain't dead
2,779 Posts
get the eVGA I have, best overclockers! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130056

Quote:

Go for the cheapest one, since they are all the same. That is, unless you want a pre-overclocked card or special warranties/trades.

BRANDS DO MATTER! xfx or evga in the gs series is the only ones to get. They are not all the same.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts