Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new X1950 XTX, and the fan is not running. I am installing windows right now, should the fan be on? My old nvidia card would run on high until I got into windows?

Also, I did a little looking already, but is there any aftermarket cooling to look at for this card? Or no need for it anyway?

·
Registered
764 Posts
is there any sort of extra power you need to be plugging in to the card perhaps?

also take out the card, and slot it back in. Just to test you never know.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I did make sure the card is seated properly, and I have the extra power to it. All seems fine, just the fan is not on.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got windows installed and the latest ati drivers. Still no fan. I installed ati tools to check temp, but I don't see the temp anywhere in ati tools. Any ideas here?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
uh oh, try speedfan...and try a game...and make sure that game is 3d not 2d sorry solitaire wont cut it

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Try moving the fan manually. Sometimes, the bearings lock up.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ATI Tray Tools is showing the temp is at 60 degrees, that is at idle. I don't have any games installed to try out yet.

I did check the fan itself and it spins fine by hand.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
uh... i hope you don't burn your card... cause i'm pretty sure it should be spinning, even if only at low RPM.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welp.... If you're totally sure that power is connected properly, you could check the internal wiring for the fan, if you're feeling adventurous. Make sure the wire that connects the fan to the board didn't come undone during shipping/installation, or that the pins aren't broken.

-Sean

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I took it out and reseated it a third time, and now it is working. I am sure everything was before, but it must not have been. Anyway, I will keep an eye on it, but thanks for the help.

I do have a Zalman vf900-cu, I bought it for my 7900 but never used it. Is this a better cooler for the 1950 xtx than the stock one? It would think so, but that stock thing is huge.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjk454ss
View Post

OK, I took it out and reseated it a third time, and now it is working. I am sure everything was before, but it must not have been. Anyway, I will keep an eye on it, but thanks for the help.

I do have a Zalman vf900-cu, I bought it for my 7900 but never used it. Is this a better cooler for the 1950 xtx than the stock one? It would think so, but that stock thing is huge.

I'm pretty sure the stock cooler is better than the VF900-CU.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts