Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, here we go, this is the rig in my specs. Just finnished it thursday, everything installed and loaded super smooth, booted stable at stock right off the bat, no fuss, no muss. So far I'm super thrilled, haven't run any benchies yet, don't really beleive in them much beyond super pi. I've started the oc proccess. Mem timings are relatively loose at the moment at 2.5-3-3-6 1:1, I'll tighten them later, vcore is at 1.4 and the htt is up to 235 so far and rock stable. My load temps with dual prime, one on each core, is only 38c with the stock hsf! I have a good feelling about this cpu, I'm thinking at least 2.5ghz, hoping for 2.8-3.0ghz. Either way, when I find the max this cpu wants to do at a 10x multi I'll start dropping multi and adding htt at 1:1 until I get max cpu speed and max bandwidth
. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, update, I'm up to 2.4 and stable, I've barely had to do anything to get this far, just set my timings and raise the vcore from like 1.36 to 1.4 and raise the htt. I really have a good feeling about this cpu, wish me luck guys.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
That's a pretty nice rig. BTW, why are you using an SLI board for an ATi card? You could have just gotten the nForce4 Ultra version of it instead.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the sli because the DFI Expert only came in sli, the expert board has better arrangment and newer features that I wanted.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Cool.

I need to do my overclocking. I've got a little more confidence now that I've read that voltage thread last night. That was the part that was scaring me and yet I'll need to do it to get a higher overclock.

·
15 Year Club
2,322 Posts
Are you kidding? The Expert has such a bad slot configuration if you aren't using two massive video cards... whatever...

But nice specs otherwise

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cait Sith Cat

Are you kidding? The Expert has such a bad slot configuration if you aren't using two massive video cards... whatever...

But nice specs otherwise

Actually, I agree with you there but I don't plan on using a double card configuration, otherwise the rest of the layout is great.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys, I've hit a snag at 2.6ghz (10x260 1:1). My voltages are 1.575 vcore, 2.78 vdimm, 1.6 chipset, 1.4 ldt and temp under load is 48-50c. My ram is good cause I have it set to the spd specs (i.e. real loose) for ddr600 and obviously it's not there yet. One of the primes is failing in the first 15min. I don't neccessarelly want to up the voltage much more if I don't have to. Let me know if theres any other settings you need to know about to help me squeeze 2.6 stable out of it.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Keep the VID special % low.
As far as geting more out of it... voltage it self does not always do the trick. I've seen many hit higher OCs with less voltage that you might expect, like a higher OC with 1.5 vs 1.575 is not uncommon.
I see by your avatar that your also not a believer in excessive vcore settings

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

Keep the VID special % low.
As far as geting more out of it... voltage it self does not always do the trick. I've seen many hit higher OCs with less voltage that you might expect, like a higher OC with 1.5 vs 1.575 is not uncommon.
I see by your avatar that your also not a believer in excessive vcore settings

Yeah, I got this thing to 2.35 on stock voltage, got it to 2.50 at 1.425. it's at 2.55 and 2.6 I've had to start upping the vcore. I'm a good study and have been hanging around here for awhile but this is my first A64 oc. Anybody have some tricks for stablizing a dfi expert? Colin, ncsa (if he;s back...)?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If you've just recently got the X2 3800+ then you might luck out, since the newer batch of this model doesn't OC like the older one (aka the one Sladesurfer has)

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I just got this from newegg last month. I don't know exactly what makes me think this but I've got a real good feeling about this cpu, I'm fairly confident I can get it stable at the 2.6ghz it's at now. I'd be very happy with that but I think once I get the danger den liquid setup on here I can do more. If I ever come into the money to do so I want to go phase change, then who knows what I can do.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry guys but... :bump:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hmm, it looks like to need to upgrade your cooling before you can go any further.

You could try upping your vcore a little more, but im not sure if that would help.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's where I'm at now, I've settled for 2.55ghz with ram at 2.5-3-3-6 1T 1:1. My super pi 1M is 34.125. I think 2.6 is possible but I'm not sure what to change to make it more stable, I don't think throwing more voltage at it is the answer, we'll find out when the water cooling is done. Right now I'm at 2.7vdimm and 1.52 vcore. Any thoughts on getting the 2.6ghz stable feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro

Here's where I'm at now, I've settled for 2.55ghz with ram at 2.5-3-3-6 1T 1:1. My super pi 1M is 34.125. I think 2.6 is possible but I'm not sure what to change to make it more stable, I don't think throwing more voltage at it is the answer, we'll find out when the water cooling is done. Right now I'm at 2.7vdimm and 1.52 vcore. Any thoughts on getting the 2.6ghz stable feel free to chime in.

try 260x10 now, leave vcore at 1.52. I got mine at 270x10 @ 1.52vcore stable and 2.5-3-3-5 timming 1T 1:1 also. And I'm using air cooling, idle 27C and 42-43C load

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe I did jump the gun on the vcore. Also I may just need to give the system time to warm up a little, after all, I just fired it up for the first time last thursday. We'll see what happens. I'll keep ya posted, and keep the suggestions comming.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
well to start with 3800's aren't that great oc'rs. 2.6 is about the limit, expecially with stock cooling. If you want stability, up the vcore. I'm surprised you got it running as fast as it is with the limited vcore.

260 x 10
Vcore 1.55-1.6
HTT x 4
Mem divider 200 1:1
Timings 2.5-3-3-5
Mem voltage 2.7

If that doesn't work, it's your vcore. run memtest to make sure your memory is out of the question.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow... I'm impressed at the OC you've been able to get with your 3800+... I've had mine since the end of August and I honestly can't get this thing stable at anything above 2.1Ghz eventhough I should be able to surpass that easily...

Anyhow, like tytlyf said, 2.6Ghz is about the limit. Here is a little chart indicating some OC's Anand did with this CPU.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New development, I tried to set the multi to 9 and the htt to 278 but it wasn't stable, I need to work on the ram. Thats when it occurred to me that maybe it was a ram setting that was causing the instability at 2.6ghz. So I put the ram on a divider and it primed for 2 1/2 hrs.! So I am now trying to find the right configuration to run 260x10 at 1:1. Any of you DFI Expert ram gurus (you know who you are) feel free to pipe up with some suggestions please.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts