Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thundergod989
View Post

They look to me to be identical in every aspect... anybody gotten some good o/c's off the opty?

thx.

Aye, for all intents and purposes bar the name, they are identical.

I'd get whichever is cheaper.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow I can't even find any s939 x2 4800's they are all like 700$ lol.

does anybody know if the opty 165's O/C just as well as the 180's? I've seen a few reviews and they all say the 165's ramp up as high as the 180's and higher in some cases... they are also cheaper and more abundant.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thundergod989
View Post

does anybody know if the opty 165's O/C just as well as the 180's? I've seen a few reviews and they all say the 165's ramp up as high as the 180's and higher in some cases... they are also cheaper and more abundant.

If you mean that can the Opteron 165 reach the same potential maximum speed as the 180? Most likely, yes. They are architecturally identical except for the maximum CPU multiplier (x9 on the 165, x12 on the 180); CPU multipliers come into play when considering the capabilities of your motherboard. If your motherboard's HT ("FSB") can scale really high (say, 340MHz+) with stability, then the 165 is the better choice because it's cheaper. If your motherboard doesn't hit high HT speeds, then the CPU with the higher CPU multiplier is the wiser choice.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The 165 require a very high CPU bus speed, you may want to opt for the 170s 10x multiplier with that MB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.