Overclock.net banner

X2 6400+ oc

883 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  alwaysAMD
Hey. I've been doing overclocking here and there but I just have a question on my newest project...

I have an X2 6400+ BE that I am trying to overclock. But for some reason, it seems like only one of the cores will overclock well. The first core will run Orthos fine for hours on end at a 3.4 OC (std voltage), but when I stress the second core, it fails within 5 seconds. Is this a manufacturing defect or am I missing something. System specs is as follows.....

AMD X2 6400+ BE w/ Thermaltake Ruby Orb H/S + AC5 (1.4 v, 200x16, idle 38C)
ASUS M2R32-MVP M/B
ASUS 4850 oc'ed to 675/1100 (BIOS mod)
2 GB Corsair @ 667 (5-5-5-15-19)
550W PSU w/ 45 A on 12v rail
WD 250 SATA + 400 GB EIDE

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
See less See more
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Don't be discouraged, it just means you have an unstable overclock, not that the CPU is defective. Anyway, you can't RMA and tell them that the CPU is bad because it's failing an overclock since for warranty purposes they cover the stock rating.

Sometimes you might get a bum core that does not do well with an aggressive overclock, but most likely your overclock is unstable.

With my Q6600, I had 2 of my cores repeatedly fail while the other two consistently passed Prime95 tests. All it meant is I had to play/fine tune the voltages and then all cores were fine and stable.
See less See more
I tried upping the vcore to 1.5.....but honestly it seemed kind of strange that a 300 mhz would require that much extra voltage. Still unstable. Is it safe to go farther?
If it is safe or not is decided mostly by your temps, also have you downloaded the so called 'dual core optimizer' from the AMD site. It seem to give some kind of stability to your OC once you get into windows, also make sure that cool 'n quiet is off (surely you have).
Fiddle some with the ram timings, maybe loosen them up and give them some more volts? Hope something might help
See less See more
My 6400+.. Put your VCore at 1.55.. it will be fine. put your NB up a bit as well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SentrySkills View Post
My 6400+.. Put your VCore at 1.55.. it will be fine. put your NB up a bit as well.
nice, I like that.

is your ram rated for 800mhz or 1066?
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfiteer
View Post

nice, I like that.

is your ram rated for 800mhz or 1066?

800!... I know!... that is crazy aye.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by SentrySkills
View Post

800!... I know!... that is crazy aye.

yeah thats some nice ram.
See less See more
I tried increasing my vcore to 1.55.....wouldn't boot....but even at 1.5 oc'd to 3400 (+ 200mhz), it wouldnt pass orthos for over 2 seconds. any thoughts??
rayman im on the same boat if you got any results let us know
3.4-3.5 is pretty much the limit of the K8 architecture, especially on air, which explains why you need so much voltage.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.