Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I currently have a 9800 GX2 "BLACK EDITION" and i would like a second GX2 to go with it, but i'm having trouble finding another Black Edition as they are uber rare limited edition..

So.. i was wondering if it would be ok to get a standard GX2 and overclock it to Black Edition spec (700mhz core + 1050mhz memory + 1700mhz shader). If so, what is a good program for overclocking a GPU? I have only overclocked CPU and RAM.

Also, would they need to be the same brand (XFX) or is it ok to mix brands in SLi. And i was also thinking of upgrading to 8GB RAM to make it even more beastly.

Cheers.

- Clancy2k

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
MSI Afterburner and EVGA precision are great tools. MSI afterburner even lets you set your own fan speed profiles.

As long as the card model is the same, 9800GX2 in your case, It will work. Black Edition does not matter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by imadude10
View Post

MSI Afterburner and EVGA precision are great tools. MSI afterburner even lets you set your own fan speed profiles.

As long as the card model is the same, 9800GX2 in your case, It will work. Black Edition does not matter.

ok, thanks mate.

is 720w enough to run two GX2?

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by clancy2k View Post
ok, thanks mate.

is 720w enough to run two GX2?
720w is pushing it to the limit with those cards, even though you have a very quality power supply. Keep in mind that is 4 g92 cores operating, they are going to use a ton of power.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Back in Jan 2009, I had Q9450 @ 3.6, striker II extreme 8GB DDR3, 2 x GX2s. The gaming performance was horrible due because of lag/stuttering. I had upgraded to 2 x 260s and it was much smoother, and higher frames.
I recommend not getting the second GX2 based on my experience.

BTW, I used PCPowerCooling 860w, 4-5 drives, 3 DVDRW (used frequently thats why i listed it), lots of fans/high output fans.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by quadx View Post
Back in Jan 2009, I had Q9450 @ 3.6, striker II extreme 8GB DDR3, 2 x GX2s. The gaming performance was horrible due because of lag/stuttering. I had upgraded to 2 x 260s and it was much smoother, and higher frames.

BTW, I used PCPowerCooling 860w, 4-5 drives, 3 DVDRW (used frequently thats why i listed it), lots of fans/high output fans.
Ok, thanks for the advise, i shall have to look into it more.

has anyone eles had or know of problems with dual GX2's?

·
PC Evangelist
46,977 Posts
Not a good upgrade. If you want more performance sell the GX2 and get a GTX470 or a GTX295

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by quadx
View Post

The gaming performance was horrible due because of lag/stuttering. I had upgraded to 2 x 260s and it was much smoother, and higher frames.

what about folding?? im getting a 9800gx2 just for that.. being that 9800gx2 gets almost as many points as gtx285.. and 9800 cost like 120$ used.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

Not a good upgrade. If you want more performance sell the GX2 and get a GTX470 or a GTX295

hmm where do i buy this gtx470 you speak of?

wait. i cant.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by NKrader
View Post

hmm where do i buy this gtx470 you speak of?

wait. i cant.

arn't they out in a couple of weeks? along with the gtx 480?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts