Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't think the SLI will be future proofing your PC. Sure you can argue that you just got a 750i and your running an E8400 your definatly not looking to futureproof. But think about it. If you sell your 9800 and get a couple bucks out of that, it will make the gtx 260 even cheaper. Running that thing especially with the E8400 will be a pretty decent gaming rig on your 22" monitor. I say go for the GTX 260 cause when you go i7 or whatever is beyond that, i doubt you would use your 9800s with that rig, you can SLI the GTX 260 down the road, and even now they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by encore018
View Post

I don't think the SLI will be future proofing your PC. Sure you can argue that you just got a 750i and your running an E8400 your definatly not looking to futureproof. But think about it. If you sell your 9800 and get a couple bucks out of that, it will make the gtx 260 even cheaper. Running that thing especially with the E8400 will be a pretty decent gaming rig on your 22" monitor. I say go for the GTX 260 cause when you go i7 or whatever is beyond that, i doubt you would use your 9800s with that rig, you can SLI the GTX 260 down the road, and even now they are pretty cheap.

yeah thats what i was thinking. i dont kno what ima do yet but prob. go with the 260.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by encore018
View Post

I strongly disagree.

1) The prices of 9800gt's are dropping rapidly, especially with the introduction of nvidia's new renaming scheme. You will probably be able to find one for about $100 in the coming weeks, and you will have a very difficult time selling your current one for a decent price.

2) Considering you are using a 750i board and a dual core CPU, in the next few years you will most likely want to upgrade your whole system, and sli 9800gt's will be fine until then.

3) A GTX260 is hardly future proof, especially considering the new line of 45nm chips nvidia plans on releasing relatively soon. Just look what happened to the 9800gx2 and the GTX280, they were both discontinued in a matter of months.

Go for the 9800gt now while it's super cheap, then when the time comes (a few years maybe) sell your whole rig and upgrade to an i7 or whatever is cheap and powerful at the time. By the time you need to upgrade from 9800gt sli, the GTX260 will be obsolete anyway.

...not to mention the 9800gt sli is more powerful NOW

• Rep+
Reactions: linskingdom

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slothfish View Post
I strongly disagree.

1) The prices of 9800gt's are dropping rapidly, especially with the introduction of nvidia's new renaming scheme. You will probably be able to find one for about $100 in the coming weeks, and you will have a very difficult time selling your current one for a decent price.

2) Considering you are using a 750i board and a dual core CPU, in the next few years you will most likely want to upgrade your whole system, and sli 9800gt's will be fine until then.

3) A GTX260 is hardly future proof, especially considering the new line of 45nm chips nvidia plans on releasing relatively soon. Just look what happened to the 9800gx2 and the GTX280, they were both discontinued in a matter of months.

Go for the 9800gt now while it's super cheap, then when the time comes (a few years maybe) sell your whole rig and upgrade to an i7 or whatever is cheap and powerful at the time. By the time you need to upgrade from 9800gt sli, the GTX260 will be obsolete anyway.

...not to mention the 9800gt sli is more powerful NOW
my words.. go for the sli dude.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts