Overclock.net banner
1241 - 1260 of 1393 Posts

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,241 ·
Well finally shipped after almost a month. I guess the wait was worth it, hope it works. :)

View attachment 2528470
Nice, kinda bummed amazon canceled my order of the gigabyte x299 WU8. Its a good no frills board. Only has 8 50amp phases for vcore but overall not bad. For 60 bucks it is a no brainer.

Also here is an update on overclocking my 7960X.

Computer Personal computer Output device Computer monitor Peripheral

Still tweaking lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Jedi Mind Trick

·
Registered
849 Posts
Nice, kinda bummed amazon canceled my order of the gigabyte x299 WU8. Its a good no frills board. Only has 8 50amp phases for vcore but overall not bad. For 60 bucks it is a no brainer.

Also here is an update on overclocking my 7960X.

Still tweaking lol.
Yeah, that WU8 is a nice board, the UD4 is a pretty entry level board but probably fine for stock with a bit of airflow on the VRM.

Heh, yep. I've seen that kind of screen a few times :)

Even at 6240 it still wasn't passing rowhammer 100% of the time. Now at 3840 and 16h in and so far so good. Not sure how this will affect performance yet, tempted to just return the kits and get something better.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,243 ·
Yeah, that WU8 is a nice board, the UD4 is a pretty entry level board but probably fine for stock with a bit of airflow on the VRM.

Heh, yep. I've seen that kind of screen a few times :)

Even at 6240 it still wasn't passing rowhammer 100% of the time. Now at 3840 and 16h in and so far so good. Not sure how this will affect performance yet, tempted to just return the kits and get something better.
It is an entry board but still capable, especially with a fan. I overclocked a 7940X on a 8 phase with a fan to 4.7 and still chugged. Shoot even the FTWK I have now is a 8 phase, the little stock fan does a decent job. The 12 phase boards are the ones that can run the VRM without the fan, my old taichi clx (really was a solid board) ran my 9980XE great without a fan.

·
Registered
849 Posts
It is an entry board but still capable, especially with a fan. I overclocked a 7940X on a 8 phase with a fan to 4.7 and still chugged. Shoot even the FTWK I have now is a 8 phase, the little stock fan does a decent job. The 12 phase boards are the ones that can run the VRM without the fan, my old taichi clx (really was a solid board) ran my 9980XE great without a fan.
Yeah, it's hard to know exactly what those phases are though. One board could have be 12 phase with 50a power stages while another board could be 8 phase but with 90a power stages.

The UD4 may actually be better than the x299 Pro I'm using now if MSI did put mosfets on the back of the board like some of the older x299 boards.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,245 ·
Yeah, it's hard to know exactly what those phases are though. One board could have be 12 phase with 50a power stages while another board could be 8 phase but with 90a power stages.

The UD4 may actually be better than the x299 Pro I'm using now if MSI did put mosfets on the back of the board like some of the older x299 boards.
Agreed

My old ASRock was 12 70amp.

Gigabyte was the one that change for the better. The original launch were all 8 phases 50amp (even the WU8). The the X299 master was 12 50amp phases, then the X299X (master, designate, etx) series motherboards were 12 70amp phases.

Asus is the one that confused me with there re launch. I bought the Deluxe II, and it was a 6 phase board that looked like a 12. No doubler or anything. The 10980XE ran it thru it's paces. That was a sad board retails the same as the Strix II but with weaker components. The cheaper Prime II had a better VRM.

I am just waiting on Amazon to snatch a open box X299X Master (seen those for around 180ish) or another ASRock Taichi TLX. The FTWK is actually decent just horrible for memory overclocking.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,246 · (Edited)
Alright guys, the 7960X OC is dialed in. Running a BCLK of 101 resulting in the cores running at 4.65Ghz, mesh at 3.13Ghz, and RAM running @ 3500CL14. Can't really go higher until I delid, this thing already runs toasty. Below are some benchmarks, my goal with the delid is to at least OC the cores to 4.85 (higher would be better) daily. Also the water block for my 6900XT arrives Friday. The goal there is to run a 400W power limit thru the card, currently stuck at 320 due to the crappy air cooler. Realistically my goal is to break 18K+ in timespy for a CPU score and 24K graphics score. I also want to reach 4100-4200 CB15. Seems attainable since I am so close already.

Photograph Light World Font Screenshot

Property Furniture Building Table Window

Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Software

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Circle

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

• Rep+
Reactions: MrTOOSHORT

·
Registered
849 Posts
Alright guys, the 7960X OC is dialed in. Running a BCLK of 101 resulting in the cores running at 4.65Ghz, mesh at 3.13Ghz, and RAM running @ 3500CL14. Can't really go higher until I delid, this thing already runs toasty. Below are some benchmarks, my goal with the delid is to at least OC the cores to 4.85 (higher would be better) daily. Also the water block for my 6900XT arrives Friday. The goal there is to run a 400W power limit thru the card, currently stuck at 320 due to the crappy air cooler. Realistically my goal is to break 18K+ in timespy for a CPU score and 24K graphics score. I also want to reach 4100-4200 CB15. Seems attainable since I am so close already.
Looking good, does your ram give better scores at lower clocks/tighter timings vs higher clocks/looser timings?

Getting tired of this silicon power memory, lost about 20% performance by dropping tREFI to get it to pass the hammer rows test, I think it's time to try my luck on some Ballistix and hope I get some E Die dual rank sticks.

My older Ballistix LT Sport kit is at 3800/16-19-11-36/1.4v with tREFI at 14829 and doesn't have any issue with the hammer test.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Looking good, does your ram give better scores at lower clocks/tighter timings vs higher clocks/looser timings?

Getting tired of this silicon power memory, lost about 20% performance by dropping tREFI to get it to pass the hammer rows test, I think it's time to try my luck on some Ballistix and hope I get some E Die dual rank sticks.

My older Ballistix LT Sport kit is at 3800/16-19-11-36/1.4v with tREFI at 14829 and doesn't have any issue with the hammer test.
Oh your not using bdie? Thats probably why you cant get trefi way up there

·
Registered
849 Posts
Oh your not using bdie? Thats probably why you cant get trefi way up there
No, these silicon power sticks are using CXMT A Die. I really bought them because they were 50% less expensive compared to other guaranteed dual rank kits (probably closer to half of what B Die dual rank kits go for) which can make a big difference in certain applications, but that's kind of negated by the huge performance loss of dropping the tREFI so low.

Never tuned tREFI on the Micron E Die, but I guess I could give it a shot considering the huge performance hit I've noticed by reducing it on the other cheap sticks.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,250 ·

The goal with X299 is to get the lowest latency, getting 51 ns with this combo. The motherboard is really holding me back, this same kit with a 10980XE did 3800CL14. That got me high 47 low 48 latency in aida. This board hates tight latency and and high frequency. I can do 3733 CL16 flat, I get better bandwidth but my latency is 54ns. If I needed bandwidth I would do the other settings, but games and benchmarks (timespy cpu score) love low latency.

·
Registered
849 Posts
The goal with X299 is to get the lowest latency, getting 51 ns with this combo. The motherboard is really holding me back, this same kit with a 10980XE did 3800CL14. That got me high 47 low 48 latency in aida. This board hates tight latency and and high frequency. I can do 3733 CL16 flat, I get better bandwidth but my latency is 54ns. If I needed bandwidth I would do the other settings, but games and benchmarks (timespy cpu score) love low latency.
Yeah, I can't believe how much of a difference tREFI made, I was getting around 60ns previously now I'm at 92ns... :oops:

Edit: (CPU at full stock, mesh at 3000)
Font Line Screenshot Technology Electronic device

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,252 ·
Yeah, I can't believe how much of a difference tREFI made, I was getting around 60ns previously now I'm at 92ns... :oops:

Edit: (CPU at full stock, mesh at 3000)
View attachment 2528535
What's your ram budget? I bought my 64GB (4X16GB) kit for 300ish. It is a b die kit, 3200CL15. It does overclock well, like I said earlier does 3800CL14 with a proper board. Do not know if it went higher since the imc on the 10980XE was not the best. Try looking locally, might luck out there as well.

·
Registered
849 Posts
What's your ram budget? I bought my 64GB (4X16GB) kit for 300ish. It is a b die kit, 3200CL15. It does overclock well, like I said earlier does 3800CL14 with a proper board. Do not know if it went higher since the imc on the 10980XE was not the best. Try looking locally, might luck out there as well.
Well, not so much a budget, I was just looking for the cheapest good enough guaranteed dual rank ram, seemed fine $200 for 64gb of cl16 3200. I've had some Silicon Power ram before and it seemed fine. May drop them in my b450 board and see if it will pass rowhammer at XMP, may just be the board or platform not liking this particular ram.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,254 ·
Well, not so much a budget, I was just looking for the cheapest good enough guaranteed dual rank ram, seemed fine $200 for 64gb of cl16 3200. I've had some Silicon Power ram before and it seemed fine. May drop them in my b450 board and see if it will pass rowhammer at XMP, may just be the board or platform not liking this particular ram.
Yeah I have had some luck from Silicon Power as well. Also if in a budget hynix djr/cjr plays nice with X299. I prefer it over micron e die for this platform since it can come close in the primary and secondary timings. But TRFC can drop to around 500. I was very disappointed with micron e die on X299. I do like Edie for z390/Z490 platforms since they can do 4000+ easily and help with the high trfc.

• Rep+
Reactions: tbob22

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah I have had some luck from Silicon Power as well. Also if in a budget hynix djr/cjr plays nice with X299. I prefer it over micron e die for this platform since it can come close in the primary and secondary timings. But TRFC can drop to around 500. I was very disappointed with micron e die on X299. I do like Edie for z390/Z490 platforms since they can do 4000+ easily and help with the high trfc.
Yeah, I'll have to keep an eye out. I'd hope to get 64gb for around $250.

The Ballistix seem fine in the x299 system, not looking for crazy clocks, c16 at 3800 would be nice but 3600 c16 or c18 is honestly fine too. Just need to be fairly reliable, dual rank and actually be able to pass memtest consistantly.

The sticks do the same thing individually and in my b450 board. Even at 2400mhz they show the same issue. Back they go.

I have some old ripjaws 2400mhz 4gb sticks and they have no issue with the hammer test on the x299 setup.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Looking at v-Color 3200mhz C16, they are Hynix Dual Rank, probably CJR. A bit more expensive but guaranteed dual rank on a 16gb stick which is less and less common now in budget kits.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,259 ·
I have the LCC and HCC direct die plates but don't remember where I put them, if I find them I'll post it here.
Thank you, let me know. This will be for a 7960X.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,260 ·
Looking at v-Color 3200mhz C16, they are Hynix Dual Rank, probably CJR. A bit more expensive but guaranteed dual rank on a 16gb stick which is less and less common now in budget kits.
Honestly get whatever is cheaper. But I was able to get slightly lower latency on cjr/djr than e die. My experience is only with single rank 8gb sticks. The e die kit could do 3600-3733 16-18-18 and cjr could do 17-19-19 (good bin djr should do 16-19-18). Secondary were similar but trfc gave the edge to cjr (500trfc vs 580 on e die). Like said earlier a good bin of DJR can do (460-480). I think DJR does better because it scales better with voltage.

Good luck on your ram hunt.

1241 - 1260 of 1393 Posts