Overclock.net banner
1261 - 1280 of 1393 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Honestly get whatever is cheaper. But I was able to get slightly lower latency on cjr/djr than e die. My experience is only with single rank 8gb sticks. The e die kit could do 3600-3733 16-18-18 and cjr could do 17-19-19 (good bin djr should do 16-19-18). Secondary were similar but trfc gave the edge to cjr (500trfc vs 580 on e die). Like said earlier a good bin of DJR can do (460-480). I think DJR does better because it scales better with voltage.

Good luck on your ram hunt.
Yeah, E die would be a bit cheaper but no guarantee it would be dual rank. May just grab the v-Color and hope for the best.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I woul
Yeah, E die would be a bit cheaper but no guarantee it would be dual rank. May just grab the v-Color and hope for the best.
I would snag the kit gtz got. Its like 30-40 dollars more and worth every penny.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I woul

I would snag the kit gtz got. Its like 30-40 dollars more and worth every penny.
Trident Z? Are these guaranteed to be dual rank or are they pushing out single rank like other manufacturers?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
16gb bdie should be dual rank.
More reading, those are probably some lower bin with those timings, CL14 should be B die but nearly twice the price. I love how G Skill has CL14 and CL16 3200mhz all as just Trident Z RGB, also no rank mentioned anywhere. It's a mine field. At least with the v-color it's guaranteed dual rank.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
More reading, those are probably some lower bin with those timings, CL14 should be B die but nearly twice the price. I love how G Skill has CL14 and CL16 3200mhz all as just Trident Z RGB, also no rank mentioned anywhere. It's a mine field. At least with the v-color it's guaranteed dual rank.
Yea no ram manufacturers really list that as general population just looks at cas latency and speed. Us high end overclockers know what rank a kit should be by looking at timings/speed and density. Also ddr4 overclocking on a serious level is mainly bdie so anything above 8gb sticks is dual rank.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yea no ram manufacturers really list that as general population just looks at cas latency and speed. Us high end overclockers know what rank a kit should be by looking at timings/speed and density. Also ddr4 overclocking on a serious level is mainly bdie so anything above 8gb sticks is dual rank.
Well, that's been the consensus for a long time but many budget 16gb sticks are going single rank recently.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,268 ·
Well, that's been the consensus for a long time but many budget 16gb sticks are going single rank recently.
This is the kit I bought.

Dual rank b die. A lot of forum members did not know if it was b die or not including the g skill rep. But my kit was manufactured 4/2021. I am almost positive all 16GB sticks that are CL15 flat are dual rank b die. It is technically a lower bin of b die but like I mentioned before it can oc to 3800CL14 flat with 1.465 volts. My kit was a steal, basically 150 for 32GB of b die. After I saw what b die can do for gaming (tight latency and high frequency) I will only use it on my main builds.

Also on a side note, RIP to the FTWK motherboard. Spent the last two hours trying to troubleshoot it but it won't turn on. At first I thought maybe the PSU was not working because the board would not even attempt to turn on. Took it out of the case and mounted a air cooler and nothing, no boot. I played Far Cry 6 yesterday for an hour and shut down. Now it won't even turn on. The ram, graphics card, and PSU still work (can't really test the CPU). I'm going to let it sit for a few hours without the CMOS battery but don't know what could have happened.

I bought a open box Asus Strix II for 320, mostly because it said it will get here tomorrow. Kinda reminds me of a baby rampage board, and also comes with the 2in OLED diagnostic screen.

• Angry
Reactions: Jedi Mind Trick

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

Dual rank b die. A lot of forum members did not know if it was b die or not including the g skill rep. But my kit was manufactured 4/2021. I am almost positive all 16GB sticks that are CL15 flat are dual rank b die. It is technically a lower bin of b die but like I mentioned before it can oc to 3800CL14 flat with 1.465 volts. My kit was a steal, basically 150 for 32GB of b die. After I saw what b die can do for gaming (tight latency and high frequency) I will only use it on my main builds.

Also on a side note, RIP to the FTWK motherboard. Spent the last two hours trying to troubleshoot it but it won't turn on. At first I thought maybe the PSU was not working because the board would not even attempt to turn on. Took it out of the case and mounted a air cooler and nothing, no boot. I played Far Cry 6 yesterday for an hour and shut down. Now it won't even turn on. The ram, graphics card, and PSU still work (can't really test the CPU). I'm going to let it sit for a few hours without the CMOS battery but don't know what could have happened.

I bought a open box Asus Strix II for 320, mostly because it said it will get here tomorrow. Kinda reminds me of a baby rampage board, and also comes with the 2in OLED diagnostic screen.
Noooo! Hmu to return it so I can RMA it or whatever. Sorry it died :(

• Rep+
Reactions: gtz

·
Registered
849 Posts

Yeah, on sale that would be a nice kit. As it stands for that's a bit out of my budget.

My older Ballistix kit seems ok at at 3800 16-19-19-36 1.4v on the x299 Pro board, doesn't want to run quite as tight as on the B450i but not too bad. Bought that kit for about $120 a few years back.

Sucks about the FTWK. Strix II looks pretty good. Bought a Prime x299-A II a few weeks ago, it ended up having some slightly bent pins.

Can't remember the last time I've had a board fail, still have a P6T Deluxe V2 and x5670 in the closet, ran that for many years.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yeah, on sale that would be a nice kit. As it stands for that's a bit out of my budget.

My older Ballistix kit seems ok at at 3800 16-19-19-36 1.4v on the x299 Pro board, doesn't want to run quite as tight as on the B450i but not too bad. Bought that kit for about $120 a few years back.

Sucks about the FTWK. Strix II looks pretty good. Bought a Prime x299-A II a few weeks ago, it ended up having some slightly bent pins.

Can't remember the last time I've had a board fail, still have a P6T Deluxe V2 and x5670 in the closet, ran that for many years.
Same, never really had many issues with boards over the years, usually if I did, it was that they were DOA.

I still have a bunch of x58 stuff in my closet too!

• Wow
Reactions: o1dschoo1

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Same, never really had many issues with boards over the years, usually if I did, it was that they were DOA.

I still have a bunch of x58 stuff in my closet too!
Say less. What you got? X58 is super fun.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,273 ·
Noooo! Hmu to return it so I can RMA it or whatever. Sorry it died :(
Dude totally forgot you bought it open box too. Well let you know, hoping battery out for a few hours will let it turn on.

My wife seems to a electrical surge killed it. Had two major storms with tornados come by our house this morning (5am) and Sunday. Dealing with a lot of power outages, but I think it would have killed the PSU first. I live in Oklahoma so I deal with strong storms every year and never had a component fail. But this one did trip the breakers for the kitchen and laundry room. But not the one where the computer was in, and monitor and my Ryzen PC work. Don't know what could have happened. I too never had components just die, everything nowadays is very well built.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Dude totally forgot you bought it open box too. Well let you know, hoping battery out for a few hours will let it turn on.

My wife seems to a electrical surge killed it. Had two major storms with tornados come by our house this morning (5am) and Sunday. Dealing with a lot of power outages, but I think it would have killed the PSU first. I live in Oklahoma so I deal with strong storms every year and never had a component fail. But this one did trip the breakers for the kitchen and laundry room. But not the one where the computer was in, and monitor and my Ryzen PC work. Don't know what could have happened. I too never had components just die, everything nowadays is very well built.
That would be strange. Have a decent surge protector on there?

UD4 Pro arrived. Looks very good, includes original box, pins look perfect.

For $60 it's quite a steal, assuming it works. VRM has an awful heatsink but as along as it's getting airflow it should be OK.

Stairs Engineering Font Wood Metal

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,275 · (Edited)
That would be strange. Have a decent surge protector on there?

UD4 Pro arrived. Looks very good, includes original box, pins look perfect.

For $60 it's quite a steal, assuming it works. VRM has an awful heatsink but as along as it's getting airflow it should be OK.

View attachment 2528608
I love Amazon open box deals.

Yeah I dont think it's a surge, everything would have been effected.

Edit:

After 2 hours, installed the cpu and a stick of ram and the boards LEDs lit up (BIOS 1 light, 12v detected light). Push the power button and nothing. No power cycle nothing. I find this really odd, like the board is protecting itself and won't turn on. Tried two psus and nothing, those psus work turn on my other system. This is odd, like mentioned earlier worked great last night. Gamed fine.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I love Amazon open box deals.

Yeah I dont think it's a surge, everything would have been effected.

Edit:

After 2 hours, installed the cpu and a stick of ram and the boards LEDs lit up (BIOS 1 light, 12v detected light). Push the power button and nothing. No power cycle nothing. I find this really odd, like the board is protecting itself and won't turn on. Tried two psus and nothing, those psus work turn on my other system. This is odd, like mentioned earlier worked great last night. Gamed fine.
That does sound like something CPU/power delivery related, like if one of the phases failed it may do something like that.

I'm going to try the v-Color sticks they had a coupon so it was $280 after tax for 64gb. Hoping for CJR or DJR.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,277 ·
That does sound like something CPU/power delivery related, like if one of the phases failed it may do something like that.

I'm going to try the v-Color sticks they had a coupon so it was $280 after tax for 64gb. Hoping for CJR or DJR.
Fingers crossed for you. I have never bought v color ram before, hopefully you experience will be better than silicon power.

Yeah I still have it in the open bench. Will try again tonight, just find it odd.

I wonder if maybe I shorted something installing the 7960X, I did the switch 2 days ago. Really racking my brain, this is the first board to die on me like this (might be the only board to die on me, don't remember).

I am also going to have to punch out a few extra mounting holes on my case to drop it a notch. The reason why I hunted the FTWK is because of the io, my 90degree bend fit because the first item on the io is the reset CMOS button. The strix will fit by dropping it a notch (this damn case has 9 PCI slot).

·
Registered
849 Posts
Fingers crossed for you. I have never bought v color ram before, hopefully you experience will be better than silicon power.

Yeah I still have it in the open bench. Will try again tonight, just find it odd.

I wonder if maybe I shorted something installing the 7960X, I did the switch 2 days ago. Really racking my brain, this is the first board to die on me like this (might be the only board to die on me, don't remember).

I am also going to have to punch out a few extra mounting holes on my case to drop it a notch. The reason why I hunted the FTWK is because of the io, my 90degree bend fit because the first item on the io is the reset CMOS button. The strix will fit by dropping it a notch (this damn case has 9 PCI slot).
I know it might sound a bit crazy but have you tried installing a new battery? I can't remember which board but I remember some board (maybe Asrock?) didn't want to power on with a low battery.

Swapped in the 7920x and the UD4 Pro works perfectly so far, I really don't care for the bios though. The MSI board has a slightly better bios, but I still prefer ASUS bios in general.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,279 ·
I know it might sound a bit crazy but have you tried installing a new battery? I can't remember which board but I remember some board (maybe Asrock?) didn't want to power on with a low battery.

Swapped in the 7920x and the UD4 Pro works perfectly so far, I really don't care for the bios though. The MSI board has a slightly better bios, but I still prefer ASUS bios in general.
Yeah I replaced the battery, I had 3 spare 2023 (or maybe 2032, not home). Bought some when I was told the EVGA dark had a battery problem. Just tried again and no dice, think I am about to give up

And yes the UD4 has the most segmented BIOS. Asus and EVGA have the better BIOS, simple and all in one screen.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah I replaced the battery, I had 3 spare 2023 (or maybe 2032, not home). Bought some when I was told the EVGA dark had a battery problem. Just tried again and no dice, think I am about to give up

And yes the UD4 has the most segmented BIOS. Asus and EVGA have the better BIOS, simple and all in one screen.
Yeah, that sucks. Hope it's not the CPU... Have you tried it with no CPU? Most boards should power up and spin up the fans. I did that with the UD4 to make sure it wouldn't blow up or something, the CPU light came on and then the system shut off as expected.

So, the silicon power ram seems to work perfectly in the Gigabyte board, several passes of rowhammer so far with no errors or warnings.. Both of the boards I tested the sticks on were MSI, must be an incompatibility on MSI boards.

1261 - 1280 of 1393 Posts