Overclock.net banner
1281 - 1300 of 1393 Posts

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,281 ·
Yeah, that sucks. Hope it's not the CPU...

So, the silicon power ram seems to work perfectly in the Gigabyte board, several passes of rowhammer so far with no errors or warnings.. Both of the boards I tested the sticks on were MSI, must be an incompatibility on MSI boards.
That's good news, you get to keep it and cancel the v color set. You can probably tune the silicone power ram further on the ud4.

Hoping the CPU is good, will find out when the Strix gets here. It already shipped out and says it will get here tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Never killed a CPU so I have high hopes (though never killed a board either).

·
Registered
849 Posts
That's good news, you get to keep it and cancel the v color set. You can probably tune the silicone power ram further on the ud4.

Hoping the CPU is good, will find out when the Strix gets here. It already shipped out and says it will get here tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Never killed a CPU so I have high hopes (though never killed a board either).
Spoke too soon, it just took longer this time. lol.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,283 · (Edited)
Spoke too soon, it just took longer this time. lol.
So is this hammer test not part of the regular memtest?

You said it passes all other mem stress tests. Can it be a bug?

Edit:

Looks like the Strix II will indeed arrive tomorrow. This is the first next day Amazon item I have received. Every single next day item I have ordered arrives a day or to late.

Font Number Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

I'm thinking this board was already in one of the warehouses in the nearby.

·
Registered
849 Posts
So is this hammer test not part of the regular memtest?

You said it passes all other mem stress tests. Can it be a bug?
Yeah, it is a bug, a hardware bug. From what I understand if the DDR4 is supposed to include mitigation for that specific issue. I'll find out how the new sticks react, but generally you don't want to fail that test. It may not be a huge deal right now but if there is an attack in the wild in the future that could mean trouble.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
@gtz keep me posted on whatever you want to do about it, no skin off my back. Fingers crossed the CPU is okay. And yea, most of my Amazon orders have been really delayed as of late.

@o1dschoo1 mostly mid-to-low grade stuff I think. X5650x2, an X58 UD3R USB3, and a Rampage II Gene (I plan on hanging on to the Rampage tho).

• Rep+
Reactions: gtz

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,286 ·
@gtz keep me posted on whatever you want to do about it, no skin off my back. Fingers crossed the CPU is okay. And yea, most of my Amazon orders have been really delayed as of late.

@o1dschoo1 mostly mid-to-low grade stuff I think. X5650x2, an X58 UD3R USB3, and a Rampage II Gene (I plan on hanging on to the Rampage tho).
Yeah if the CPU boots with the new board then I will definitely know it is the board that is dead. Hopefully the new board gets delivered today to find out.

But yeah if the board is dead and you are willing to RMA I will pay for shipping. I really appreciate that.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jedi Mind Trick

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,287 ·
In happier news the block and delid tool arrived today.

Font Gadget Rectangle Electric blue Electronic device

Once I test the CPU, I will delid that bad boy. Until the direct die kit gets here I will use lm between the die and ihs and between the ihs and waterblock.

Will install the waterblock on the card tonight.

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yeah if the CPU boots with the new board then I will definitely know it is the board that is dead. Hopefully the new board gets delivered today to find out.

But yeah if the board is dead and you are willing to RMA I will pay for shipping. I really appreciate that.
Whatever works best for you is fine with me, and good luck!

·
Registered
849 Posts
These V-Color are by far the heaviest sticks I have on hand. Must be solid copper nickel coated heatspreaders. Almost worried about the slot integrity at this weight.

ADATA 1333mhz DDR3 (no heatspreader) - .5oz
Silicon Power Gaming 3200mhz DDR4 - 1oz
Ripjaws V 2400mhz DDR4 - 1.4oz
Corsair Dominator 2000mhz DDR3 - 2.2oz
v-Color Skywalker 3200mhz DDR4 - 3.8oz

Edit: Looks like it's DJR, XMP timings are pretty poor 16-20-20-38-52. They are dual rank as expected, all four are the same week so that's good.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,290 ·
These V-Color are by far the heaviest sticks I have on hand. Must be solid copper nickel coated heatspreaders. Almost worried about the slot integrity at this weight.

ADATA 1333mhz DDR3 (no heatspreader) - .5oz
Silicon Power Gaming 3200mhz DDR4 - 1oz
Ripjaws V 2400mhz DDR4 - 1.4oz
Corsair Dominator 2000mhz DDR3 - 2.2oz
v-Color Skywalker 3200mhz DDR4 - 3.8oz

Edit: Looks like it's DJR, XMP timings are pretty poor 16-20-20-38-52. They are dual rank as expected, all four are the same week so that's good.
I'm a big fan of DJR, try 3600 17-19-19 at 1.4 to start. That should boot, trrds 6 and tfaw 24 and TRFC 520. If that boots that should be a great starting point to stabilize.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm a big fan of DJR, try 3600 17-19-19 at 1.4 to start. That should boot, trrds 6 and tfaw 24 and TRFC 520. If that boots that should be a great starting point to stabilize.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot later.. First the thing that has been bothering me the most... Memtest86 Test 13 :)
Temps are ridiculous on these, sitting at 27c during several Aida64 runs.

I did notice on this UD4 the Aida64 results are quite a bit worse, noticed that on the Silicon Power as well, was getting 85gb/s read vs 95gb/s on the MSI at the same timings/clocks.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Row hammer test completed 4 passes successfully at XMP.

1.4v 3600 17-19-19 is no go, sticks start dropping out. 18-18-18 won't post, 18-19-19 seems fine so far, completed 1 pass in memtest.

Edit: Bumped up the voltage a bit to 1.425 (1.41, 1.42 in bios) and bumped tRFC to 590, now 17 seems to be working.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Started showing errors after a while and after rebooting I noticed it dropped a stick again.

Seems like it's a lot happier at 3200 14-18-18 1.4v, bandwidth isn't that far off and latency is lower. May just stick with that.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,294 ·
Decided to do the tech yes loving on the board. I probably voided my warranty but hey, hopefully this will get this board booting.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Electronic instrument Hardware programmer Audio equipment

I also want to go give a shout out to @Jedi Mind Trick . Willing to help with the RMA process for the board (he was also willing to help early this year when I thought my son killed my 9980XE, by selling me one of his x299 chips for a great price). If this thing boot great if not then I will frame it along with a dead GTX480 I have.

So the Strix II got canceled, but was different than before. You know when you order from Amazon and it is a day late it will say "most deliveries that are late arrive a day or two late". Then when the item does not arrive it will give you the option for a refund or re order again. With open boxes it usually just gives you a refund after a week and will say "your item is most likely lost but if it appears it is yours".

Well just got this notification.

Rectangle Font Logo Brand Paper product

I never canceled the order or refused delivery. Will chat or call amazon soon to see what happened.

It's funny, whenever you need a board there are no cheap options. Amazon warehouse are slim pickings right now. The cheapest ATX option on ebay is 217 (plus tax), and all the bids only the Deluxe II (which I have owned) and another FTW-K catches my eye. But one is already 180 and the other has 6 days left. I almost considered the first gen Strix being sold here for 150, but my 9980XE pushed the 8 phase VRM to it's limits when I owned one. Really only considered it because it's fictional and cheap but really won't allow me to push the 7960X once I delid.

I just want to run my 6900XT on water and can't lol.

• Wow

·
Registered
849 Posts
Decided to do the tech yes loving on the board. I probably voided my warranty but hey, hopefully this will get this board booting.

I also want to go give a shout out to @Jedi Mind Trick . Willing to help with the RMA process for the board (he was also willing to help early this year when I thought my son killed my 9980XE, by selling me one of his x299 chips for a great price). If this thing boot great if not then I will frame it along with a dead GTX480 I have.

So the Strix II got canceled, but was different than before. You know when you order from Amazon and it is a day late it will say "most deliveries that are late arrive a day or two late". Then when the item does not arrive it will give you the option for a refund or re order again. With open boxes it usually just gives you a refund after a week and will say "your item is most likely lost but if it appears it is yours".

Well just got this notification.

I never canceled the order or refused delivery. Will chat or call amazon soon to see what happened.

It's funny, whenever you need a board there are no cheap options. Amazon warehouse are slim pickings right now. The cheapest ATX option on ebay is 217 (plus tax), and all the bids only the Deluxe II (which I have owned) and another FTW-K catches my eye. But one is already 180 and the other has 6 days left. I almost considered the first gen Strix being sold here for 150, but my 9980XE pushed the 8 phase VRM to it's limits when I owned one. Really only considered it because it's fictional and cheap but really won't allow me to push the 7960X once I delid.

I just want to run my 6900XT on water and can't lol.
Still not convinced about WD40 on boards long term, but I guess Tech Yes gets away with it :)

That sucks about shipping. I've seen that before, if the package is severely damaged sometimes they will tell Amazon and not attempt to deliver it, I think they only have one way to mark it and it just shows that message.

A little on the pricey side but here is another one:

• Rep+
Reactions: gtz

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,296 ·
Still not convinced about WD40 on boards long term, but I guess Tech Yes gets away with it :)

That sucks about shipping. I've seen that before, if the package is severely damaged sometimes they will tell Amazon and not attempt to deliver it, I think they only have one way to mark it and it just shows that message.

A little on the pricey side but here is another one:
You know that is the better deal, I won't get charged taxes and free shipping. Might pick it up if Amazon open box does not come up with something better.

You know I always doubted the way he cleans, but I really don't know why this thing stopped turning on and willing to try anything.

·
Registered
849 Posts
You know that is the better deal, I won't get charged taxes and free shipping. Might pick it up if Amazon open box does not come up with something better.

You know I always doubted the way he cleans, but I really don't know why this thing stopped turning on and willing to try anything.
Yeah, it's actually a little less than they go for on eBay so not too bad really. I've had pretty good luck with B&H as well, all the used boards I bought from there were almost like new.

Was having some really strange issues with this Gigabyte board, randomly losing the boot partition in the boot options but SSD still detected then the board was getting stuck on VGA detection but would still boot windows, so I couldn't get to the bios at all. Reset the bios a few times and it seems to be holding now. Will probably reflash as there is a newer version available. Still can't figure out why Aida64 throughput is about 10-15% behind the MSI board at the same exact settings.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,298 · (Edited)
Yeah, it's actually a little less than they go for on eBay so not too bad really. I've had pretty good luck with B&H as well, all the used boards I bought from there were almost like new.

Was having some really strange issues with this Gigabyte board, randomly losing the boot partition in the boot options but SSD still detected then the board was getting stuck on VGA detection but would still boot windows, so I couldn't get to the bios at all. Reset the bios a few times and it seems to be holding now. Will probably reflash as there is a newer version available. Still can't figure out why Aida64 throughput is about 10-15% behind the MSI board at the same exact settings.
Yeah I am a big fan of BandH, I think that is where I bought a 10850K last Thanksgiving for 330ish. Plus if you have there card you don't get charged taxes (just pay it off before the billing cycle). That is also one of the spots I want to visit if I am ever in New York. They also ship pretty quickly.

Some boards have some weird quirks, the first FTWK I bought open box on Amazon was the worst X299 board I have ever had. The VRMs squealed, would not work correctly with my USB switches, and added around 5ns on latency compared to the Strix with the exact same timings. Day and night difference compared the FTWK Jedi mind trick sold me, latency was almost identical to the Asus board and ASRock. The evga Micro 2 was also good, it booted 4000+ (4133 or 4200, don't remember), both the Taichi CLX or Asus boards would not boot at those speeds. It was not stable but at least it booted.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
i might have to try some djr. I got 2x8gb sr of cjr oem hynix sticks coming in. 2666 cl19 1.2v no xmp. Time to see what it can do when really pushed with some reaper heatspreaders on it

·
Registered
849 Posts
i might have to try some djr. I got 2x8gb sr of cjr oem hynix sticks coming in. 2666 cl19 1.2v no xmp. Time to see what it can do when really pushed with some reaper heatspreaders on it
Been pretty happy with these v-Color's so far, the copper heatspreaders work well. Can either run [email protected] or [email protected] at 1.42v, not quite up to my E-Die which run [email protected] at 1.4v but not bad either.

Running in quad channel probably makes a difference, may do a little better in the MSI x299 Pro as it seems to clock better all around.

Also have some Neo Forza 3600 18-19-19 on the way that will stay in the UD4 Pro. They are Hynix and dual rank but not sure if they are DJR or something else.

1281 - 1300 of 1393 Posts