Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still loving this thing.

I have been running prime for 20 minutes now and the temp wont even break 60C, its warm in my apt already because it was warm outside, and I have the stock cooler on with the stock thermal compound and the vcore is 1.4

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao View Post
No kidding man. 2 hours OCCT and I PEAKED at 35 degrees. Mind you peaked, it didn't stay near that the rest of the time.

With a Xiggy/OCZ Freeze at 1.425v.
Seriously, I havn't hit higher than 39c with mine... even under load with 1.55v.

Good luck man

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
u try unlocking the 4th core yet?

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I had no interest in it when I bought the chip but i figured, "what the heck I'll try since I have an 0904 batch". But my chip is unstable with the 4th unlocked even though the bios can see it, I usually can't post after enabling.

But it's no loss as I didn't want the chip for such reasons, I'm just a tri-core junkie.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
SHOULD I JUST ORDER MINE RIGHT NOW??? but I HAVENO IDEA WHAT BOARD/ MEM TO USE. arG? i got this board in mind - gigabyte - ma-790X-UD4, but idk if its able to unlock the chip, becuase so far, it seems like only GX and FX boards can do, but sb750 is sb750 right? the bios options shouldn't be differen't. and im looking at the g.skill pc8500 mem. or someone recommend me a pair that'll do some minor OC's.

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Good to hear Joe. I was contemplating getting one as I can sort of afford but my board only has a Alpha/Pre-Beta Bios for AM2+ Phenom II and no word on AM3 yet, doubt we will here as of Abit shutting their doors.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
From the benchies I've seen, the 720 with 3 cores performs on par with the 940 BE. But I'm very very very very very anxious to see how the 955 will perform against the 720.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elito View Post
lol? i don't see a problem with that. was it offensive to you? if it was then..wows..idk how youll react in many many forums..
Elito, take some time to review the Terms of Service specifically under "You are EXPECTED to:". Have a look at the one that says, "No swearing".

I believe that is what Pao is referring to.

Thank you

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by elito
View Post

SHOULD I JUST ORDER MINE RIGHT NOW??? but I HAVENO IDEA WHAT BOARD/ MEM TO USE. arG? i got this board in mind - gigabyte - ma-790X-UD4, but idk if its able to unlock the chip, becuase so far, it seems like only GX and FX boards can do, but sb750 is sb750 right? the bios options shouldn't be differen't. and im looking at the g.skill pc8500 mem. or someone recommend me a pair that'll do some minor OC's.

Yeh the whole GX,FX,FGX,GT,EUQ,DIQ whatever they all are really threw me off. I picked my mobo based on the fact that all the reviewers liked to use it and were able to OC it and the CPU quite well.

I mean this mobo is passively cooled and idles at 30C, it took a crap load of effort to get my 780i below 60C.

·
Registered
295 Posts
the UD4 will not unlock the fourth core, I've tried per core, and all core on ACC and no luck. Still boots up and reads 3 cores either way. But it overclocks the 720 great

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I have the 790X UD4P, and no, it does not unlock the 4th core as I have gone through the bios and could not find that ACC function.

Nevertheless though, you can definitely pull 3.7 on the board, at least i've managed to do it, but I backed down to 3.6 due to temps (my case sucks, upgrading from a generic sunbeamtech to a Lian Li is going to be oh-so satisfying). Anyways though, i've only fiddled with the multiplier, not the FSB, which is something that should happen soon as simple multiplier raising isn't going to get me as far as further tweaking.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
thanks for the heads up..darn it...i was really liking that board because its got all that i needed. bah...so GX is the next step up...sigh** also for advanced bios options you'd need to ctrl+f1 on Gig boards. =] try and see if itll unlock yours PSI

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
^^ I have come to the conclusion that the temp sensor on these 720's is at least 6*C under what the actual temp is.
Yours still seem very low, what is your ambient?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
those temps are seriously off..20C at those volts? impossible unless on LN2 or phase or something. its something with the gigabyte boards, they seem to mis read the ph II temps very very pften, maybe updating bios would help....altho i love my temps on my opty tho, at this weather, im getting anywhere from 22-26C usage. and these are 90nm's ^ ^. im really tempted to pick up one of these 720;s atm, but..gah! i really want that 790x ud4 bard to unlock the damn thing, damn gigabyte for not realeaseing a bios so that it cna all unlock.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts