Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

In an attempt to foil Microsoft's plans of a flawless NXE Netflix launch, Columbia Pictures (a studio that's owned by Sony) has made sure that its entire Netflix movie catalog is blocked from streaming to the Xbox 360. How rude!

According to Joystiq (and confirmed by MTV Multiplayer) Netflix has pulled all Columbia Pictures content from the Xbox 360 instant view library due to "licensing problems." But, wouldn't you know, all the blocked content can still be viewed online and through all other Netflix enabled TV devices except for the 360. Netflix hopes to license all the currently blocked content to the Xbox 360 in the near future. Now, that just isn't very nice of you Sony, haven't you been taught to share?

Source.

Thats pretty sleazy of Sony to do that, although I'd be careful if I was them, who knows if they might need to put a MS service in the PS3 or something later?

Searched already, if its a repost, just say once and don't make an entire topic full of "REPOST!!"

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
This is kind of a cheap tactic by Sony. All and all it will be the end user that loses out. Netfix really doesn't lose out, MS doesn't really lose out, and Sony really makes no gain. Perhaps they will realize this and retract their decision.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
...If I was MS I would be pissed at Netflix. MS will get this sorted out right away, don't think they will let this go.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz
View Post

Sony's Motto: If we can't beat our competetors, screw over our customers!

what? How does this screw over their customers? Either you buy their dvd's and you watch them when you want, or you don't. Buying an xbox doesn't make you a Sony customer?

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJeebz
View Post

what? How does this screw over their customers? Either you buy their dvd's and you watch them when you want, or you don't. Buying an xbox doesn't make you a Sony customer?

So if I own an Xbox and can't watch any movie from Columbia Pictures, I am not getting screwed over by Sony? Seems like it to me! Sony is only doing this because they can't offer the same quality of service as Microsoft.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:

View Post

So if I own an Xbox and can't watch any movie from Columbia Pictures, I am not getting screwed over by Sony? Seems like it to me! Sony is only doing this because they can't offer the same quality of service as Microsoft.

Erm, they're Sony's movies. And what do you mean Sony can't offer the same quality of service?

They updated their firmware before MS who then copied them
They offer updates to BluRay
Their online store was up before MS's

Why dont MS let their OS run on a PS3? Why won't MS give Sony dev tools for Windows Mobile, instead let them struggle?

Its a dog eat dog world and im sure Microsoft would do the same

·
Registered
809 Posts
Quote:

View Post

No you are getting screwed over by them, but you're not one of their customers, thus the only people this would affect are non Sony customers, or people who are not customers of Sony. Furthermore, anyone who isn't one of their customers would technically have no right to view their material anyway right? You would then have to purchase (or buy) their material in order to access it, which would now make you a Sony product owner, which would in turn (by default) exclude you from said Sony non customer group. Thus making you a Sony customer, and in the right to access their product.

But seriously, from a business standpoint I'm surprised this didn't happen earlier. It does make sense. If I'm Sony why would I allow people more ways to get my stuff without buying any of my products?

·
Registered
768 Posts
A similar thread has just started on Gametrailers PS3 forums and it is far from a nice thread. Fanboy galore over there.

You know im glad we have forums like OCN, dont have to read complete and utter fanboy ****e like on other websites.

Anyways my view on this, I think it has more to do simply with licensing expiring other than SONY being a bunch of w**kers. I mean Sony Pictures Entertainment is still available to watch, it is just the Columbia Pictures that seems to have been stopped. But we don't fully know.

If this is an act by SONY to compromise the new experience then I feel it's a bad move and possibly a tad jealous. I mean i personally think that 'home' is never gonna be released, possibly minimum summer 09. Wish everyone could just be nice and share
I mean if Sony wanted to add some new experiences to their and i will say rather flat and boring interface in future which is say owned by Microsoft patent etc and Microsoft just blocked them.

The last thing we want is both companies acting like kids over who can use what and in end the customer suffering from everything. Customer should come first, even if your customer is using another service.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moynesy
View Post

The last thing we want is both companies acting like kids over who can use what and in end the customer suffering from everything. Customer should come first, even if your customer is using another service.

As has been mentioned it's a competition and there's no reason either company would all of the sudden decide to help the other. Plus, If your customer is using another service they're not your customer are they? I'm assuming Sony would rather people go buy their movies than get them from Microsoft.

·
Registered
766 Posts
For those of you who don't know, Sony has their console,the Playstation 3, and it's competing with Microsoft's Xbox 360

/sarcasm

Would you really expect Sony to support Microsoft's movie service on the Xbox 360 when Sony has their own movie service on the Playstation 3?

·
Registered
499 Posts
"haven't you been taught to share?" how is sony blocking the content any diff than MS doing a deal which says only 360 can have netflix. Wouldnt that be considered MS not sharing as well?

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJeebz View Post
Because, in not having the ability to rent their movies, you are losing out on the chance to become a Sony customer. Just because you dont buy a bluray player or a ps3 doesnt make you 'not' a Sony customer. Buying anything that provides profit to Sony in ANY way, makes you a Sony customer. So yeah, Sony didnt screw 'customers' they screwed potential customers, which could be far worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evostance View Post
Why dont MS let their OS run on a PS3? Why won't MS give Sony dev tools for Windows Mobile, instead let them struggle?
There is a slight difference here, number one, does the PS3 OS run on xbox, or PC? Do they release the code for it? Its called trade secret and its the only way to make profit. If windows code was released, nobody would buy the OS.

http://www.fiercedeveloper.com/story...k/2008-09-03-0

Proof that Sony has SDK for Windows Mobile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJeebz View Post
No you are getting screwed over by them, but you're not one of their customers, thus the only people this would affect are non Sony customers, or people who are not customers of Sony. Furthermore, anyone who isn't one of their customers would technically have no right to view their material anyway right? You would then have to purchase (or buy) their material in order to access it, which would now make you a Sony product owner, which would in turn (by default) exclude you from said Sony non customer group. Thus making you a Sony customer, and in the right to access their product.

Ever heard of royalties, or dividends? You see, when I rent any film published by Sony's studio, the profit is divided a bunch of ways. One of those ways the money goes is to Sony, who is now NOT getting royalties for anybody who potentially could have rented their content online, thus preventing them from becoming Sony Customers.

Perhaps you should view http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/customer to define what a customer really is, and how Sony is preventing itself from generating revenue from its competition. Now, instead of making money from its competition, its simply choosing to have more pride than brains, which makes a complete failure for Sony's profit margin if they run the rest of their business with more pride than brains. Business is about competition, but its also about smarts, make money where you can make it, keep your friends close, and enemies closer. "So what, the 360 is my competition, ill make money off your success, as well as my own!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moynesy View Post
You know im glad we have forums like OCN, dont have to read complete and utter fanboy ****e like on other websites.
Stick around a while and you will see fanboys

Quote:

Originally Posted by RapidFireGT View Post
For those of you who don't know, Sony has their console,the Playstation 3, and it's competing with Microsoft's Xbox 360

/sarcasm

Would you really expect Sony to support Microsoft's movie service on the Xbox 360 when Sony has their own movie service on the Playstation 3?
Yeah, because I am a 360 owner, and I wont go buy a ps3 just because I cant watch that movie on my 360. Instead ill either go without, or perhaps torrent it. The experience of watching a movie on computer is just not the same as my 42inch hdtv.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As some people keep saying Sony is screwing us 360 owners over.
And some are saying that we arent a customer of Sony.

Well their are those of us such as myself that own a ps3 and a 360. I feel like sony is screwing me over. And I believe I have the right to say that as I own both consoles.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
for people claiming ms wouldn't do the same thing

MS has their os on sony computers do they not ? Windows Computers support blu ray, do they not ?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts