Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one should I get? I want a cheap good gaming CPU. Bulldozer failed me anyways. The 690t unlocks into a six core, and is only $10 more. But does it perform just as good as the 995?

Also will be getting a 990fx motherboard, so I would be able to upgrade down the line if I choose.

Motherboard will probably be the Crosshair V.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131735

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiyaDV
View Post

What are the chances of unlocking? Also thinking of going a 960t rather then 1090t

That's what I want to know. Not too many people seem to have them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just found out you need a certain board to unlock or bios. Would mine or the ops be able to unlock it?

I really want the CPU solely for the purpose of unlocking lol I think mines able to, as I have the hole "hybird mode" bios thing but my comp crashed when I tried unlocking my current one so not sure.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky
View Post

If you are starting from scratch, why not get an i5-2500K setup?

Money plain and simple. I'm reusing everything except for the cpu,mb, and ram. For the 2500k that would add $100 for the cpu, and ~$100 for an equivalent motherboard.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky
View Post

If you are starting from scratch, why not get an i5-2500K setup?

Budget. Also, possible unlocked x6 for $125 is a great deal.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I'd say the zosma chip is a better buy because even if it doesn't unlock it's only a small amount [5 dollars on newegg!] more and is only clocked slightly lower.

even if you can only unlock 1 core it is a good buy IMO. it's 2 more possible cores for only 5 bucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vrait
View Post

So the 960T has no negatives vs the 955?

as mentioned, 200mhz slower stock clock but these are black edition chips, you should be overclocking them anyways

besides a half decent x4 will OC very high even on stock volts. I was able to even undervolt my friend's x4 955 to 1.36v and keep the clocks at 3.6ghz.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xPrestonn
View Post

I'd say the zosma chip is a better buy because even if it doesn't unlock it's only a small amount [5 dollars on newegg!] more and is only clocked slightly lower.

even if you can only unlock 1 core it is a good buy IMO. it's 2 more possible cores for only 5 bucks.

as mentioned, 200mhz slower stock clock but these are black edition chips, you should be overclocking them anyways

besides a half decent x4 will OC very high even on stock volts. I was able to even undervolt my friend's x4 955 to 1.36v and keep the clocks at 3.6ghz.

Well I meant performance wise and what not. Overclocking is easy, and its a shame to buy a cpu and not overclock it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a similar CPU (650T, same family) Zosma chips overclock nicely, even if you can't unlock all 6 cores.

Mine did unlock all 6 cores, and overclocked to 3.7 stable.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowninja88;15286210
Now i'm thinking about picking up that Zozma chip..so tempting..all i have to do is switch out my 555 for it, i'm all ready
sneaky.gif
Go for it, $125 isn't a lot of money. And If it unlocks, you double your cores.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vrait
View Post

Go for it, $125 isn't a lot of money. And If it unlocks, you double your cores.

Agreed
Win! Moar core's for us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts