Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JVAyL.jpg

I was wondering if it was possible before since I don't have the money to upgrade my platform just yet. But hey, 16GB works.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB on the same MB... So glad I found your post! Is your system stable after the upgrade you did?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I really dont get the idea behind this post...If your MB supports 16GB the you can run 16GB. I had my Q9550 running for ages with 16GB - and I never heard that someone claimed otherwise.
thinking.gif

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavor View Post

Need to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB on the same MB... So glad I found your post! Is your system stable after the upgrade you did?
Yep. I was at 3.6 GHz before and just swapped the RAM and had no instabilities introduced. Still worked fine at the same overclock without any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Eiht View Post

I really dont get the idea behind this post...If your MB supports 16GB the you can run 16GB. I had my Q9550 running for ages with 16GB - and I never heard that someone claimed otherwise.
thinking.gif
The Intel website says that x48 only supports up to 8GB of RAM, as does most motherboard manufacturers websites. I think it was a thing with certain sticks of 4GB RAM not working correctly?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Great
smile.gif

my gigabyte x48-DS5 is limited to max 8gb and now that i run at max capacity i had to raise two advanced timings 1-2 steeps and trfc (act to act) for 6-8steeps..

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. I ran 4 Corsair Dominators but I'd imagine most 4GB sticks should work as long as they can run with 1.5V or higher.

·
Iconoclast
31,135 Posts
Pretty sure you could even get 32GiB working on all the LGA-775 DDR3 chipsets, but 16GiB DIMMs (which do exist in unbuffered/non-ECC variants) almost certainly are unsupported at a hardware level.

16GiB should be essentially a given if you are willing to tweak a little.

·
Registered
19 Posts
WHOOFREAKINHA!!!

Seriously though I could get even 32GB working? Would that mean I could even get 2x8gb working and add another 2x8gb kit later? If this is the case then this rig just got a new lease on life and I can keep my old girl running for a few more years!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post

JVAyL.jpg

I was wondering if it was possible before since I don't have the money to upgrade my platform just yet. But hey, 16GB works.
smile.gif
I bought two CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 just to try the configuration on 8 gb - I have the same motherboard and bios version - however, when I install them: 2 RAMs (4gbx2) or even 1 RAM (4 gb) - computer doesnt start. Nothing helps!

May you please share how you configured your BIOS? Please, it should help me a lot!

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grau1812 View Post

I bought two CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 just to try the configuration on 8 gb - I have the same motherboard and bios version - however, when I install them: 2 RAMs (4gbx2) or even 1 RAM (4 gb) - computer doesnt start. Nothing helps!

May you please share how you configured your BIOS? Please, it should help me a lot!
Have you made sure to run your RAM at 1.65v?

Also why the thread necro?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ofc 1.65.

I just bought this RAM because saw this post - motherboard, its revision, version of BIOS are the same. That is why I am writing here.

Only difference is the processor: I have Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9300 .

However, It should work, I just need to know the right setup, so I suppose user Lime with help me disclosing it
smile.gif

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please, do not hesitate to explain me like for an idiot. I am a about to be a PC-dummy. So good explanation is welcomed
smile.gif

I resets CMOS with the jumper a few times.

Should I try to do this with the battery?

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
I've had it where the jumper never fully reset settings so I always pull the cord from the wall then take out the battery for 10 seconds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penicilyn View Post

I've had it where the jumper never fully reset settings so I always pull the cord from the wall then take out the battery for 10 seconds.
Did it now - nothing changed
frown.gif

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Can you try with just one stick? It's possible one of them is bad.

Try one, see if it works, then try just the other.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts