Overclock.net banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Mad Man with a box
436 Posts
All x48 boards can take up to 64gb of ram.
No, they can't.
You will not be able to boot from a 4GB DDR3 Single Side stick or 8GB Dual Sided stick, regardless of what you do or what MB* you have (*non-server grade).
Also, there are no DDR2 8GB/16GB memory modules to buy for consumer grade boards.
Without ECC/Buffered memory support on MB/chipset side you can't make them work.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,834 Posts
No, they can't.
You will not be able to boot from a 4GB DDR3 Single Side stick or 8GB Dual Sided stick, regardless of what you do or what MB* you have (*non-server grade).
Also, there are no DDR2 8GB/16GB memory modules to buy for consumer grade boards.
Without ECC/Buffered memory support on MB/chipset side you can't make them work.
Boot OS or POST?

According info from X48 datasheet, the chipset can address up to 64gb ram.

Just because 4gb in single bank did not worked for one Dimm sticks, it still work for other, but on lower frequency. Yet its true that X48 did not had good memory controller.

·
Mad Man with a box
436 Posts
Boot OS or POST?

According info from X48 datasheet, the chipset can address up to 64gb ram.

Just because 4gb in single bank did not worked for one Dimm sticks, it still work for other, but on lower frequency. Yet its true that X48 did not had good memory controller.
POST.
Intel could made it to do 64GB, but there is no BIOS support for over 256MB/chip (2GB/side, 4GB Dual Side) modules.
If you can mod BIOS to enable 8GB DDR3 per DIMM support - awesome !
I can't do that tho.

Not good IMC on X48 ?
16GB @ 1600MHz CL7.8.7.21 CR1T isn't enough with PR8 ?

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,834 Posts
POST.
Intel could made it to do 64GB, but there is no BIOS support for over 256MB/chip (2GB/side, 4GB Dual Side) modules.
If you can mod BIOS to enable 8GB DDR3 per DIMM support - awesome !
I can't do that tho.

Not good IMC on X48 ?
16GB @ 1600MHz CL7.8.7.21 CR1T isn't enough with PR8 ?
Hmm. That could be Vendor-specific thing or dual boards (DDR2 + DDR3) were not working. However... 1600Mhz 4 Dimms should run up to 7-7-7-21 as by JEDEC specs, however... it did not worked for me. When I moved same RAM to a Phenom II it went to 1600 6-5-5-16....

·
Mad Man with a box
436 Posts
Hmm. That could be Vendor-specific thing or dual boards (DDR2 + DDR3) were not working. However... 1600Mhz 4 Dimms should run up to 7-7-7-21 as by JEDEC specs, however... it did not worked for me. When I moved same RAM to a Phenom II it went to 1600 6-5-5-16....
JEDEC spec doesn't do 1600MHz @ CL7.7.7.21, it's CL8.8.8 : LINK.
Also there are no 4 DIMMs JEDEC standards for Dual Channel chipsets/memory.
Buyer only gets what manufacturer wrote on SPD/sticker at best.

You can try to use Quad Channel memory kit, however it wasn't tested on such an old platform (LGA 775), so it isn't guaranteed to work on it (you won't get your money back just because you can't set everything up).

PS. 1600MHz @ 6.5.5.16 ?
That's some awesome/ridiculus RAM stickes you got, is this CR1T ?
Do you have a cachemem screenshot of it ?
Would love to see Read/Write/Latency on those settings :)
FYI : I set 1,5V+ on my chipset to get 16GB stable on my X48 at those settings.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,834 Posts
JEDEC spec doesn't do 1600MHz @ CL7.7.7.21, it's CL8.8.8 : LINK.
Also there are no 4 DIMMs JEDEC standards for Dual Channel chipsets/memory.
Buyer only gets what manufacturer wrote on SPD/sticker at best.

You can try to use Quad Channel memory kit, however it wasn't tested on such an old platform (LGA 775), so it isn't guaranteed to work on it (you won't get your money back just because you can't set everything up).

PS. 1600MHz @ 6.5.5.16 ?
That's some awesome/ridiculus RAM stickes you got, is this CR1T ?
Do you have a cachemem screenshot of it ?
Would love to see Read/Write/Latency on those settings :)
FYI : I set 1,5V+ on my chipset to get 16GB stable on my X48 at those settings.
Those are Adata XPG 2.0 with Elpida Hyper chips, and yes CR1T. I should really make such screenshot. Read-Write wasnt much better (CPU limitation), but latency was like 40ns and less. It had impact on CPU performance, as measured by LinX. Check link in by signature.

I had to remove them for now (8gb, and it started to cause trouble with low capacity), and now i have 32gb

·
Mad Man with a box
436 Posts
I use 8 DIMMs of 2GB A-DATA Xtreme 2000X (Elpida BBSE) in my main rig :)

One Dual Channel kit could do 1600MHz CL6.7.6.18 CR1T, however you got better chips than that.
Those are one of the best DDR3 memory ever produced, I can live with not being able to to go as low as newer platforms - LGA 775 is good enough for what it is.

For future reference :
Lowest I got on 16GB 2x2x4GB sets in cachemem, is 54,3ns (1517MHz @ CL7.8.7.21 CR1T) :
CPU-z Valid : https://valid.x86.fr/2bpie2

PS. IMC doesn't have a limitation posed by Hyper Transport or FSB bus.
In other words : IMCs are 100% limited by NB Frequency (like Ring Bus, System Agent, UnCore, CPU-NB, etc.) they are working at, and not by external buses like DMI/QPI*/HT.
*Core i5 6xx and Core i3 5xx series have IMC and L3 cache ("UnCore") connected by QPI, so in their case OC'ing QPI speed will net a pretty good gains.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Asus P5E64 WS Evolution, 16 GB RAM, NVME SSD

Confirmed!

Asus P5E64 WS Evolution

Bios version 0802 with added microcodes for XEON cpu's

Intel Xeon X3370 ~ Intel Quad Core Q9650
Intel Xeon X3370 @ 4113 MHz
overclocked 37%

Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 2 kits
4 * 4 GB = 16 GB of ram | @ 457 MHz FSB | Rated FSB 1828 MHz
6-6-6-17 @ 457MHz

https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=207410&thumb=1

https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=207412&thumb=1

https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=207414&thumb=1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU runs 24/7 stable @ 4113 MHz

Most Bios settings are on auto. Speedstep, C1, etc. are still on.
Load-Line calibration - Performance
CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit - Disabled

Virtualisation turned OFF!!! Otherwise the Marvel 99SE9230 addon card will not work propperly!

RAM runs 1:1 with FSB @ 457 MHz (quad pumped @1828 MHz)
Northbridge @ 1.41v
CPU @ 1.27v

Setup runs perfectly fine with 16GB, go for atleast 1600 MHz RAM or faster to enhance the overclock on your CPU.

The motherboard works fine with overclocked RAM depending on your brand. Corsair seems to work well, tried several types of Corsair RAM, all worked fine for me.

Asmedia 1061 addon card for Sata 3 6gb/s is bootable on this board. Don't expect to much out of it since its a crappy asmedia chip, but atleast you got Sata 3 on your system.

Marvel 88SE9230 addon card for Sata 3 6gb/s is bootable on this board. Much better compared to the asmedia 1061 chip, do mind it only works well in the PCIe 2.0 slot on the motherboard.

NVME SSD PCIe X4 is supported using the PCIe 2.0 slot. However you cannot boot from this media, only use it in Windows 10 for fast storage or as a gaming disk. Below a picture using a Kingston AC1000 240GB with adapter, in the PCIe 2.0 slot.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=207416&thumb=1

Attachments

·
Mad Man with a box
436 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Closer to the truth

I've been following this post for a while now, being the proud owner of a P5E3 Premium AP[email protected], X48, Q9550, 8Gb and I've been wondering about all the max memory claims for quite some time.

agentx007 posted that BIOS is a limitation, but that is wrong.
For a while, around 2007, in AMIBIOS, there was an option called Memory Remap Feature where you could force your system into legacy mode (3GB Max).
That is where the limitation came from. Look it up. Also, BIOS itself doesn't report max memory, it query the chipset for a number and then randomly tests a few random addresses.

Offler claimed that the X48 could support up to 64Gb and that he read it in the techsheet.
Don't know where he read that cause I already went through it a while back and never saw that claim.

This is what they have to say about memory capacity in their X48 datasheet : https://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/319122.pdf
On page 19,
<• Using 1 Gb device technologies, the largest memory capacity possible is 8 GB,
assuming Dual Channel Mode with four x8 double sided un-buffered non-ECC or
ECC DIMM memory configurations. Note: The ability to support greater than the
largest memory capacity is subject to availability of higher density memory
devices.>

Yes, the note could support Offler claim, but the most important bit of info is on page 43 : <TOLUD register is restricted to 4 GB memory (A[31:20]), but the MCH can support up to 16 GB, limited by DRAM pins>. So the TOLUD adresses anything below 4Gb and MCH supports 16Gb.
So it all depends on the MB. Did the manufacturer respect Intel design specs or did they neglect a few pins.

Spice003 asked why we were still using our old gear...
It's still my main system and yes, I still game with it.
I do have a small list of games that are way too resource intensive.
And before you diss my system, LTT is a hoot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8ja79SlA-g

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
sorry for digging this up...
got and old Asus Rampage Extreme X48 chipset board... been thinking about testing more ram (16GB). board has 4 slots... what's the best chance i can get 4GB sticks to work? gskill?? corsair??
anyone can point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am brand new to Overclockers.net. However, I‘ve been searching for information on DDR3 ram capacity for my GA-x48T-DQ6 that I built back in 2009.

I do have some info/experience with Mushkin ddr3 2000 2x4gb sticks. I put these in my mobo back in 2012 with an intel e8400 2 core cpu: was using OCZ ram before. This combo ram stable up to 1800MHz on ram and 3.88GHz on cpu. I could run just about any game I wanted to including Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4. This was with ddr3 voltage at 1.68v and a core @ 3.34v.
I was having trouble playing The Division so I upgraded my cpu to intel Q9650. After finding 6 new tweaking profiles, I am now playing The Division 2 with this rig with only a problem now and then.

I’m sold on Mushkin ddr3 ram on my x48T-DQ6 mobo. I have some new to me Mushkin ddr3 ram on the way to me now. This is Mushkin ddr3 997071, 16Gb 2x8Gb, rated at 1866MHz with 1.5 volts. I’ll probably run these at 1.55-1.58 to start and try timings already in my profiles of 3.6 GHz cpu @ ~ 1600 MHz. We’ll see how that goes.

Thanks for your help when I used this site in the past.

·
Registered
15 Posts
well about this issue on my Asus Rampage Extreme 775 mobo with 2xGB Gskill F3 12800CL7 1600 1.9v. Timing 7-7-7-18
Bought a Corsair KIT CML8GBX3M2A1600C9 1.5V Timings 9-9-9-24.
When i try to boot with just 1 sitck 4GB system won't boot... If i insert a gskill module system does boot but fails to recognized new memory...

any advice??? i tried to clear CMOS... no sucess... thinking about changing these with Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 XMS3 8GB that works at 1.65...
Also i'am temporary running a very poor CPU E2200 while i wait for the arrival of my new Q9650.... could CPU make difference? thnaks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disier ... there is another source of info regarding 16Gb ram on x48T-DQ6 mobo. This was an Overclocker forum out of Australia ... which is where I first came across the possibility of running 16Gb of ram on the the x48T-DQ6. It’s been a while since I checked them out. Try going there for more info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks. Just forgot mentioning that before i bought this corsair kit i asked a friend that
has some modules around and i tested with a XUM 4G DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 Non-ECC Unbuffered 1.5V CL11 witch i didn't ever heard of and one single module system booted and recognized the 4GB! And these are DR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 240pin DIMM 1.35V – 1.5V Voltage CL11.
How the hell with these voltages and so it boot and with Corsair ones fail???? Very strange

And just for info my board is an Asus Rampage Extreme not x48T-DQ6.
But it uses X48 chip

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Its time to advertise X48 design limitation.
Value RAM can do the compatibility trick for 16GB, but forget any wild dreams for extreme OC.

My Intel Q9650 arrives in a week, but due CPU design it is unhealthy pushing it higher than 3.3GHz.
So far my DDR3 does not holding me back up to 3.15GHz with the Q6600 as test bed, that is great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
also expecting a Q9650 CPU to replace my E8500... thanks kiriakos going to try the Value Ram tip and see if i get better chances... Altought i would be happy with 12GB i think one of my DRAM slots is faulty... thanks!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.