Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have recently added 3 further DIMMS on my Gigabyte x58 mobo to take the total RAM from 6GB to 12GB

Specs are:

Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD4
CPU: Core i7 920 D0 at stock 2.66Ghz
RAM: OCZ Gold CL9 1333Mhz 6x2GB = 12GB

I tested using P95 blend, which initially showed rounding errors within a few minutes on all 8 workers. I then have loosened the RAM timings to 9-9-9-28 and upped the RAM voltage to 1.66V (they are rated for 1.65V)

I also have upped the QPI/Vtt voltage incrementally.

It appears that small, stepped increases to the QPI/Vtt voltage is increasing the stability on P95, although overnight the workers found rounding errors on all but one core, within 3-5 hours.

Is my strategy correct? to hold all other adjustments and slowly increase the QPI/Vtt? Will this increase the stability

For reference, I ran Memtest86 4.3.6 and found no errors.

I am monitoring temparatures using RealTemp and they are acceptable.

Currently voltages are:
Vcore 1.2625 (stock)
QPI/Vtt 1.3135
IOH Core 1.100 (stock)
DRAM Voltage: 1.66V

Please let me know if I am missing something, or any advice/thoughts are welcomed.

many thanks
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Yeah running 6 sticks on an x58 can be a bit finicky and OCZ Gold's aren't all that great as far as ram goes. I do think you got the right idea.

The first thing you should try is put the Row Refresh Cycle time tRFC to 100 (its in the ram timings) so its 9-9-9-28-100 (or 9-9-9-24-100).

If that does not help well we will need to start messing around with more settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response, I'll try that now
Going to go out for a few hours and leave P95 running, will report back

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
What the Command Rate you running? Might find all issues solved at 2T, benches will see a loss, but nothing in real life apps/games.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I have it solved! I have just got back and have been running P95 for a total of just over 8 hours, successfully. The increases in the QPI/Vtt voltages is what has increased stability.

The timings are 9-9-9-28 with a command rate of 2T I have also set tRFC to 100 as suggested by Bit_reaper

Voltages are
Vcore 1.263V
QPI/Vtt 1.35V
IOH 1.1V
Dram 1.64V

I think I will tweak the Baseclock to see if I can achieve 3.3Ghz on current voltages, with memory at 1333Mhz (8x166) and see how stable that is. Will try to edge up the Vcore voltage if not.

Thank you for all your input, please let me know if I am missing anything

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Im surprised you need so much VTT for 1333Mhz, though ive never worked with a fully populated X58 system. You may also find that Vcore helps in this situation, not just the IMC Votlage.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Try bumping up the CPU vcore one increment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts