Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
n7 made some foolish impulse buys over the last couple weeks, & the result is pictured ahead. ^_^

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Intel i7 930
HIS HD 5870
Corsair H50
A bunch of other stuff too, but less exciting...

I've been running a Gigabyte P55-UD3R + originally an i5 750 (4.15 GHz) & more recently, i7 860 (3.9 GHz).
While i was extremely happy with that, i was getting a bit bored with it...

Some pics of the new toys.

While the SATA3/USB3 is largely useless to me presently, the 10 SATA ports + 2 eSATA is delightful, as i run a LOT of HDDs over various systems.

I switched the H50 fan out for a couple beloved Noctuas (exhausting out).

Batch is B: 3938B268

I quickly discovered X58 is annoyingly more difficult to OC than P55, particularly regarding higher speed RAM, due to the precise calculations needed surrounding QPI speed + uncore speed + RAM speed.

I have a lot more to learn, & will work on lowering voltages, etc. more as i have time.

Below is the latest results i've gotten.
HT is indeed off, as i've found i do absolutely nothing that benefits from it.

4.3 GHz (HT-off) 1.3v BIOS w/ LLC level 2 enabled

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added case pic.

X58 is a pain for getting good RAM clocks due to the lowest QPI link multiplier being 36x

P55 has 32x, which makes getting nice RAM speed FAR easier.

I've got nice DDR3-2000 which will be basically impossible to stably get to anywhere close to that on X58.

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
nice. i still dont understand that motherboards pci e layout. =(
very nice clocks but can you check with ht? by the way keep an eye on those temps.. i think that there might be a seating problem with the h50.. it should not be that hot with that voltage.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Those temps seem bad, especially with ht off. Also, that is a very strange 930 batch, did not think they were producing them back in week 38.

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
Yea, that does seem kind of an odd batch. I got my 930 at 4.0 with 1.35v. Temps with H50 are lower though. Intake as push/pull. I got my 930 on 2/14 with batch 3001A187

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
Does lowering your QPI PLL and IOH Core make Linx fail? Can you put in 1.1v for QPI PLL and 1.14v for IOH Core, ICH I/O 1.5v and tell me if it passes? Maybe all I have to do is increase those so I can lower my vcore

BTW nice! I wish my UD3R came with 6 dimm slots

EDIT: nevermind... gah.

·
Registered
200 Posts
-n7-: You've got a pretty similar setup to the system I put together last week. I'm really happy with mine. I hope things go well with yours. I was able to hit 4.01 GHz (191x21) at 1.3Vcore.

How is that Corsair H50? I'm using a Noctua NH-D14 and loving it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penryn View Post
Yea, that does seem kind of an odd batch. I got my 930 at 4.0 with 1.35v. Temps with H50 are lower though. Intake as push/pull. I got my 930 on 2/14 with batch 3001A187
My chip is OEM; NCIX had a sale w/ the UD3R + OEM i7 930.

I actually haven't seen a single other person with a chip like mine...seems B batches might be an OEM thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
Does lowering your QPI PLL and IOH Core make Linx fail? Can you put in 1.1v for QPI PLL and 1.14v for IOH Core, ICH I/O 1.5v and tell me if it passes? Maybe all I have to do is increase those so I can lower my vcore

BTW nice! I wish my UD3R came with 6 dimm slots

EDIT: nevermind... gah.
Looks like i don't need so much QPI PLL/IOH Core voltage actually, but i had thought based on some other people's screenies i might.
I'm still working on lowering voltages, lots more testing/tuning to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaishi View Post
-n7-: You've got a pretty similar setup to the system I put together last week. I'm really happy with mine. I hope things go well with yours. I was able to hit 4.01 GHz (191x21) at 1.3Vcore.

How is that Corsair H50? I'm using a Noctua NH-D14 and loving it.
It's okay, but i want your cooler

How do you find the weight of it on the board is?
That's the thing that scares me about the Noctua NH-D14.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamos169 View Post
mines now stable!
yay! i can find my bios template if you want it?
Very nice!

·
Trying not/NOOBish
47 Posts
hi man i got a P6T Deluxe V2 and yes i'd like to see your bios set out i'm running 4 with my i7 930

·
Trying not/NOOBish
47 Posts
i just ran that intelburntest and you do know you do not max out your cpu i got everest and its good and at no time did all my core all max to 100 at any time if i was you i'd go with prime 95 or everest atlest they do stree your CPU out at 100% sorry but like i sed intelburntest i just did it and at best 1 core got to 82-22-63-19 thats the max it ever got any of my core to

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lrk322
View Post

i just ran that intelburntest and you do know you do not max out your cpu i got everest and its good and at no time did all my core all max to 100 at any time if i was you i'd go with prime 95 or everest atlest they do stree your CPU out at 100% sorry but like i sed intelburntest i just did it and at best 1 core got to 82-22-63-19 thats the max it ever got any of my core to

if you manually set it to 8 threads it does...well mine does o and maximum too

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
It's okay, but i want your cooler

How do you find the weight of it on the board is?
That's the thing that scares me about the Noctua NH-D14.
It's pretty heavy but not unreasonably so. The mount / retention system is incredibly solid, and makes the cooler feel pretty stable once it is installed. I don't see my board flexing at all. I don't have a photo of the system completed but I do have a 90% shot if you'd like:

EDIT: I also use IntelBurnTest as a front-end for Intel's Linpack. I'm pretty confident that it is a good stability test since when configured to 8-threads, consuming every available amount of memory, it can crash an otherwise 'stable' system in under 10 seconds. I've been using it as my primary stability test for many years, across many systems and boards. I've never found Prime95 to stress my systems as hard as IntelBurnTest/Linpack. More importantly, I've had Prime95 and the like show that my system is stable only to have it crash after 10 minutes of Linpack testing.

I'm happy to provide my bios template for my 4.01GHz overclock as well. I'm thinking about pushing for 4.2GHz tonight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you please provide your BIOS template? I have the exact same CPU and motherboard also purchased as a bundle from NCIX.

Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here's a photo of my setup, which is pretty similar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts